Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield...Heavy Metal, A possible compilation album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Marky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 03 2008, 20:50

Mike's problem is he is homeless (see my string on MotS reviewing it) in category terms -he's not rock not folk, not classical.  I've already suggested, a long time before MotS, a classical compilation for Mike. What also about a 'heavy' rock compilation for him....

Martian Song (Hergest Ridge), Pinkadiddle, Mirage, Bit of Five Miles Out, Shadow on the Wall, Bit of Incantations pt 3, See the Light, Bit of Amarok, No Dream, Out of Mind, Tears of an Angel.

What else/instead??? Answers please!
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 23:07

I say the original "Piltdown Man" would fit the bill.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 04:17

This is something I've been thinking about myself sometimes. Some more suggestions:

- Conflict, definitely
- Ommadawn pt. 1 finale fits the bill for me
- Basses from TB2003 - short, but very heavy! Could easily be coupled with Fast Guitars, too.
- "Thrash" section of TB / TB2003
- "Bagpipe Guitars" section - much heavier on the original TB than on TB2003
- Outcast, maybe Sunjammer too
- Five Miles Out (even has death metal vocals ;) )
- parts of Crises (2:55 through 7:48; the ending might also qualify)
- a couple of tracks from Guitars, not quite sure which right now, I always mix them up
- The Trap
- The parts of David Bedford's Star's End and Instructions for Angels that Mike guested on are both pretty wild, not sure they'd qualify as "Heavy Metal" but they give me similar feelings

That's all I can think of right now, I have a feeling there might be a couple more though. And by the way, why Tears of an Angel? I don't hear anything particularly heavy about that.

Edit: And while we're at it, how about the other way round? For example, the ending of Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls" makes me think of the heavy Mike Oldfield endings / catharsis sections, translated into actual Heavy Metal idiom. It even has the tubular bells! :D
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 05:33

The track Discovery is kind of borderline Heavy isn`t it.Unless you`re into people like Septultura and Napalm Death.In which case it`s probablly the equivalent of The Partridge Family or somebody.Some of the songs from Earth Moving and Heaven`s Open are heading towards that same bracket as well I guess.Maybe it`s more light metal really but not of the Quicksilver variety of course.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 07:59

Taurus 2, mainly the beginning. On 5MO CD.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 12:23

I'm hoping that Mike one day decides to make a real heavvy metal album,Mike Oldfield boosted  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 17:27

The Partridge family....you just killed this thread!! Fair point tho. Light metal is better, or rock, I suppose. Tears of an Angel isn't heavy but it does have a strong guitar solo, which for me throws it that way. As artists wend their way towards retirement, intentionally or otherwise, record companies seem to go in for recycling. With Mike, you can theme and group his music, but the bloody record companies have zip in the way of imagination and come out with these dull compilations which they always seem to make less of than the sum of their parts. Mike could have some very well targeted compilations aimed at specific markets to plug any semi retirement. Its an idea anyway, and I'll cling to it as I like to have at least one between birthdays.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 21:04

Quote (Marky @ April 04 2008, 17:27)
The Partridge family....you just killed this thread!! Fair point tho. Light metal is better, or rock, I suppose. Tears of an Angel isn't heavy but it does have a strong guitar solo, which for me throws it that way. As artists wend their way towards retirement, intentionally or otherwise, record companies seem to go in for recycling. With Mike, you can theme and group his music, but the bloody record companies have zip in the way of imagination and come out with these dull compilations which they always seem to make less of than the sum of their parts. Mike could have some very well targeted compilations aimed at specific markets to plug any semi retirement. Its an idea anyway, and I'll cling to it as I like to have at least one between birthdays.

There`s nothing wrong with your idea at all there,and I think you are spot on about Mike`s compilation albums as well.Obviously because Mike has covered and crossed over so many different genres now he`s probablly one of the most difficult artists to make a compilation album of.Especially when you get the record companies trying to cover every single base possible just in case they missed some small part of the demograph.There used to be nothing worse in the old days of cassettes,than one of your own friends asking you to make up a tape of Mike Oldfield stuff...

"So what do you want on it?"
"Oh you know this and that..Just put the stuff that you really like on it."

Six or seven tracks later of course and your c90 is finished and ready to go.And then you get annoyed with yourself because your five seconds short of trying to fit Molly onto the end of it or something.

I`ve often thought they should put out a best of Mike`s songs album myself.But then of course they would still manage to balls that up by sticking stuff like Don Alfonso and Froggy Went A Courting on there rather than on a rarities/B sides album.Which is another long overdue compilation album IMO.

I quite like the idea of an album made up of Mike`s more guitar driven moments though.Re-launch the old budget mfp label that`s what I say.."Rock On With Mike!"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 04 2008, 22:23

Well, what else?  :)
I want a good trio:  to join both Terry Oldfield and his sister Sally Oldfield.
If they could make something familiar with Ommadawn.
Good vocals, flutes, dreaming guitars and another thing; drums. Like african rythms. Long instrumentals and wonderful pieces. Maybe a typical New Age, ambient, celtic album.
That is my wish  :O  :zzz:

ps: not a new genre, but soemthing new they havent done :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 18:21

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 05 2008, 01:04)
I`ve often thought they should put out a best of Mike`s songs album myself.But then of course they would still manage to balls that up by sticking stuff like Don Alfonso and Froggy Went A Courting on there rather than on a rarities/B sides album.Which is another long overdue compilation album IMO.

I quite like the idea of an album made up of Mike`s more guitar driven moments though.Re-launch the old budget mfp label that`s what I say.."Rock On With Mike!"

I love "Froggy" though, and I think the only way to obtain it is on the original 45rpm single, of which i was fortunate enogh to obtain a copy    :cool:  :D , but I currently don't have a turntable to play it on  :( .

As for a Rock/metal compilation of Mike's music, I would have to include Shadow On The Wall, Five Miles Out, Tears Of An Angel or am I thinking of Surfing  ;)  Outcast, also The Piltdown Man Section of Tubular Bells, Thunderstorm?Martian section of Hergest Ridge, and the screaming guitar climax to Part 1 of Ommadawn :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 08 2008, 02:54

I second that on Froggy.I bought it years ago on 45rpm after placing an ad in Mojo magazine.Although just the title had me thinking about a thing on a saturday morning kids programme called Going Live which had a spoof singing thing called Singing Corner with a couple of stereotyped hippy/folky type guys getting guests to sing...Froggy Went a Courting.
 The idea of a Heavy Oldfield thing is an interesting one.
Can't thing of anything that's not been said but Mike's guitar playing ranks above and beyond any 'Rock' guitarist in technical terms (forgive me St Jimi).Parts of Exposed are pretty damn heavy,eg the solo in the middle of the caveman song,although i think this is played by Nico Ramsden.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: April 08 2008, 03:50

Well i guess theres a whole host of tracks which could be pulled from Earth Moving to include on a compilation of Mikes heavier riffs. Holy, See the Light, Hostage Runaway Son.

I would also like to include the Live TB part 2 guitar solo from the Exposed cd.

It's quite interesting that following a wholey classical piece of music there are musings for a heavier style album from mike. How many other artists could produce such a varied array of albums that Mike has done.
Its testament to this guys sheer genius that he can cross all musical genres and is not bothered about been pigeon holed into any specific musical category.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 08 2008, 04:57

Here`s quite an amusing view from an old punk on the subject of heavy metal below.Especialy seen as how Mike still seems to view all those punk guys as the coming of the apocalypse or something.And there was me thinking that one of the main giveaway signs to any oncoming apocalypse was people to be found riding about on horseback.     ;)

Captain`s Heavy Metal Rant

Had a little think about some of the tracks I would put onto a kind of "heavy"/rock on with Mike compilation,which I`ve listed below.I tried to resist using excerpts from Mike`s longer pieces,mainly because everytime I seem to try and hack into those things I always seem to get the urge to hear the rest of it.Plus at the end of the day it does`nt matter how much inspired editing and cross/fading you put into your project.It still always sounds like someone`s set about a masterpiece with a chainsaw to me.That said I`d pretty much agree with most of the "excerpt" sections posted here already.

To France
Poison Arrows
Cochise
See The Light
Discovery
Out Of Sight
Moonlight Shadow
Shadow On The Wall
Mirage
Tears Of An Angel
Trick Of The Light
Punkadiddle
Out Of Mind
Man In The Rain
Five Miles Out
Heaven`s Open

So ok there`s a fair few liberties in there.And tracks like To France/Moonlight Shadow are probablly only "heavy" in a kind of loose Fleetwood Mac sort of way really.So in other words not heavy at all then.. :D It`s still a fairly awesome up tempo/rifftacular set of choons though imo.I think I probablly would`ve sneaked Wonderful Land in there myself as well,but I had to draw the line somewhere unfortunatly..Bugger!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 08 2008, 05:06

Er i think i've missed a cd somewhere Dirk mate.Where are tears Of An Angel and See The Light to be found?
Damn i hate it when there's peices of Mike's that i don't have.
Dammit!Dammit dammit!!Dammit dammit dammit!!! :(  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 08 2008, 05:13

Quote (The Caveman @ April 08 2008, 05:06)
Er i think i've missed a cd somewhere Dirk mate.Where are tears Of An Angel and See The Light to be found?
Damn i hate it when there's peices of Mike's that i don't have.
Dammit!Dammit dammit!!Dammit dammit dammit!!! :(  :laugh:

Tears Of An Angel is from the Shade disc of Light & Shade,Mike`s last album.And See The Light is one of the few tracks I can put up with from Earth Moving.Thought you would have had L&S though Caveman,you not got round to that one yet?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 08 2008, 06:52

Doh!!!I have got L&S (got it on the release date)but it's one i just cannot get into so i haven't really got the titles into my head.I think it's because it doesn't grab me .More concentrated listening required methinks.And i don't have Earth Moving simply as i really don't like many of the songs i  have heard.I should get it along with a copy of Islands (i have it on vinyl)but these 2 aren't at the top of the list.Every other one i have-including the Elements box.A flawed gem!
Thanks Dirk.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 01:11

I'm not a heavy metal fan, and I'm not interested in any more compilation albums, but assembling a playlist of my favorite MO rock pieces would be fun. Mine might look like this:
  • The last three minutes of "Ommadawn Part 1"
  • "Conflict"
  • "Platinum Part 4" live (from The Complete Mike Oldfield)
  • "Punkadiddle" live (I've forgotten where this is from)
  • "Taurus II"
  • "Five Miles Out"
  • "Crises"
  • "The Lake"
  • "Heaven's Open"
  • "Cochise"
  • "Out of Mind"
  • "Outcast"
  • "Far Above the Clouds"
  • The 1983 Wembley "Ommadawn Part 1" (from Tubularman's collection)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 16:44

a duet with Lemmy could be interesting??
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 09:28

Hi Sweetpea.In answer to the origins of Live Punkadiddle it was a B-Side or i got it from the Elements box.

--------------
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 13:53

In this compilation I would also include :
Earth Moving (Disco version)  ;)

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
42 replies since April 03 2008, 20:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net