Question: Mike Oldfield Single mix poll :: Total Votes:16
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Don't like either of them 1  [6.25%]
The original mix is better 1  [6.25%]
The 2009 mix is better 7  [43.75%]
They are both great 7  [43.75%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield Single mix poll, Which is better, original or 2009< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 23 2009, 06:39

OK folks, which version of the Mike Oldfield Single do you prefer?

I went for "they are both great" though there are some parts of each I prefer. So really I think the ideal mix for me would be:
- 2009 mix until around 1:40 - I prefer the quieter opening and build up
- Original mix from 1:40ish until 3:30ish - lush, full, just stunning
- 2009 mix for the end - I think it works better having it slightly shorter

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 23 2009, 08:03

I'm pleased with both versions too, and am happy to have them...
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 23 2009, 08:38

Although with repeated listening i do quite like the new mix i have to say i prefer the old one.
 The reson are many but mostly it's the fact that he's added new parts and stripped down the bagpipe guitars and buried them in the mix.There's some sort of percussion thing in the new one which i find slightly annoying too.
 All told the original just sounded better to my ears so i was a bit dissapointed not to have the original on thre re-issue.
 But the sound is much clearer which is a hell of a lot better than my old 7 inch single can manage.It's actually a fairly good quality copy but singles never sounded very good however good a pressing it was.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 24 2009, 04:43

I think I prefer the 2009 version [today anyway] - because it feels more pure and simple (like the soap).  

2009 Single

I am assuming this is the original version;-

Original Single

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 24 2009, 06:06

Erm pass,   No not really it's not rocket science, but nearly is.  I like the '09 remix, but I still prefer the original, as the bagpipe guitars, are more audible, yes they would seem to be in contrast to the Spanish guitar, but they're not
  :cool: .

If someone had a pistol to my head, and said i must pick one it's a lose call, but I would go for the 1973 original.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 24 2009, 19:02

If there'd been an option for "neither of them", I'd have voted it. But there isn't, so I voted "They're both great". I've never been a big fan of the album itself, so I have no particular preference for either "mix" of it - and I do like the 2003 re-recording only marginally more than the 1973 original.

About 1973 mix vs. 2009 mix, I've already listed the pluses and minuses elsewhere in this board, so I won't say anything more about them here. :)

EDIT: Oh, this is about Mike Oldfield's Single. Well, what a fool I am. :laugh: :D But my option doesn't change: both mixes are great. Each of them has its own share of pluses and minuses (I've listed these as well in my previous analysis). My personal scale is very slightly unbalanced towards the 2009 mix because it's clearer, and because I love the oboe+organ part in the beginning without the guitar - it's nice when it comes in later. But I'm very fond of the original mix as well, which I've got as a FLAC file (courtesy of Spinne), and which IMHO works really good as what is supposed to be, i.e. a Theme from Tubular Bells

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 25 2009, 18:40

Wondering where I can get the '09 version, as i don't have the money to buy another TB Box type thing. Apart from being on a limited income, i guess my only  gripe  about the box set is most of it has been released before, and I would like to see more rarities, ie any surviving demo versions, and I haven't been able to play it in it's entirity,( as i didn't have a turntable, I have now, but need a phono stage to hear my LPs, and I'm without this piece of equipment, and my former husband didn't share my enthusiasm for
Mike's music). I know the sound of flying model aeroplanes can be heard at the end of the Sailors Hornpipe.  I would love a CD issue of the single version, and Froggy    ;)  :cool: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 27 2009, 06:31

Quote (moonchildhippy @ July 25 2009, 23:40)
Wondering where I can get the '09 version, as i don't have the money to buy another TB Box type thing. Apart from being on a limited income, i guess my only  gripe  about the box set is most of it has been released before, and I would like to see more rarities, ie any surviving demo versions, and I haven't been able to play it in it's entirity,( as i didn't have a turntable, I have now, but need a phono stage to hear my LPs, and I'm without this piece of equipment, and my former husband didn't share my enthusiasm for
Mike's music). I know the sound of flying model aeroplanes can be heard at the end of the Sailors Hornpipe.  I would love a CD issue of the single version, and Froggy    ;)  :cool: .

Cheap ways to listen to the new material:

1) You can listen to the youtube links wiga kindly posted above

2) Individual tracks can be purchased from amazon or itunes quite cheaply e.g. 69p for the Mike Oldfield Single

3) Spotify has pretty much everything from the recent releases available for free if you put up with the odd advert.

Listening to "Froggy" easily seems to be harder!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
7 replies since July 23 2009, 06:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net