Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield: one of the best guitarplayers< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Voyager Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 16 2006, 13:43

Its annoying me everyday that Mike Oldfield is relative unknow as a guitarplayer. Listen to Ommadawn, Discovery and Amarok and you quikly understand his not an amateur. everywhere Mark Knofler is the best, but he is nothing compared to Mike. I will go that far and say that Mike is as good as David Gilmour, Gilmour is just known because Pink Floyd is commercial a much bigger succsess..... and the sound of Mikes guitars is unique. for you musicians: can you understand why Mike isn't in the fender frontline magazine? almost everyone is there :O And Mike has played Fender since the 60s... have people forgotten TB,HR,Moonlight Shadow, and TB2?
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: April 16 2006, 17:30

Mike is indeed unique in his combination of style and sound.  Why isn’t he listed as one of the greats?  Well, he is not a flamboyant flashy persona, has never fronted a massive band and also wasn’t a member of the yardbirds.  

We’ve got a poll going on the God of Guitar website at the moment (the poll is here) and I insisted on Mikes inclusion, although looking at the results so far he’s not got a chance of being in the top 10.  Yet I remember standing in front of Mike on the 1980 tour gobsmacked at what he was doing with the guitar – truly inspirational.  No one other guitarist has had that impact on me personally.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 16 2006, 18:23

Yes I get the impresion he thinks this is strange himself.  Ref his comment on 'his place in the grand scheme of things'.. in the recent radio 2 interview.

But he appears to be rather elusive, secretive and distances himself from the world - i guess this must have an effect.

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 17 2006, 17:39

But Peter Green is way more elusive and reclusive than Mike and Peter Green is treated like the guitar legend that he is.

Historically I think Mike has been traditionally viewed as a great all round 'master instrumentalist' even though even by his own admission he isn't and is really only a master guitarist. Although to be fair during the 70's and 80's his guitar work was quite celebrated.

The other side of it is the fact that Mike has never really been a comfortable live performer/guitarist. Obviously he's done some outstanding live guitar work in his time (Orabidoo 1993 - genius) but he can be pretty scrappy when he wants to be, listen to some of the bootlegs of the 99 tour - there are bum notes a plenty. He sometimes isn't quite as refined a live player as some people think.

Of course the fact that his guitar playing, both acoustically and electrically, seems to have long ago taken second fiddle to his not quite so outstanding and eloquent use of a computer mouse can only have aided his long drop out of guitar god status. I mean how many really great pieces of guitar work has Mike produced this side of Amarok? They can probably be counted on one hand and he certainlly hasn't produced much good acoustic stuff. Those video's over at google of him playing Taurus 3 and improving for TB2 show just how technically dextrous, melodic and emotive he can be. Its another musical work entirely from the Cafe Del Mar-ronic muzac ridden guitarist he seems have become recently.

Sexy guitar - yes
Sax guitar - no
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: April 17 2006, 20:44

Quote (captainjjb @ April 16 2006, 23:30)
We’ve got a poll going on the God of Guitar website at the moment (the poll is here) and I insisted on Mikes inclusion, although looking at the results so far he’s not got a chance of being in the top 10.

Ehm... I've just votes for Oldfield as 1st and Knopfler as 2nd... and once voted, the response page says 'Thanks for voting for Ritchie Blackmore'

?????

It's been hacked or it's just a joke?

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Hoot Offline

Posted: May 27 2006, 11:37

Yeah, I get truly frustrated when people dont know who he is!
I say "have you ever heard of Mike Oldfield?"
They say " Dont think so"
I play "Tubular Bells opening"
They Say "oooohhhhh you mean The Excorcist music"
I say "noooo, Tubular Bells"
They say "no its in the excorcist"
I say "Whatever-I know what I'm talking about"

I'm always amazed at the amount of people that "have not" heard of him!

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 
El Bosnia Offline

Posted: June 06 2006, 12:46

Quote (Hoot @ May 27 2006, 11:37)
I'm always amazed at the amount of people that "have not" heard of him!

same with me! I always get annoyed when people ask me what the heck I'm listening to and when I answer 'Mike Oldfield' they say 'who?' :(
Then I have to explain that "He's an excellent english musician who created a unique style of music.....bla..bla.."
and immediately after this short explanation comes the second golden question: "What's his style?"
As you can imagine, I'm not going to answer that question to a person who doesn't really care MO's music. So, I decided some time ago just answer "well... it's complicated"  :p

suit themselves!
(they definitely don't know what they're missing)  :)

--------------
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering"
"Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny"
Profile PM 
Old Mikefield Offline

Posted: June 18 2006, 00:45

I totally agree ray, he seems to have become forgotten in terms of guitar accolades, what everyone seems to forget though is that he was way ahead of his time. Along with Steve Hillage, I think he was the precursor a lot of todays music, such as trance etc. Like you his guitar work has been a lifelong inspiration to me as well. Ive paid 'homage' to him on my own album... Anomaly...Tubular Balls...u can hear it at www.nickandgerald.com

But to be honest he has never really sought the spoghtlight and has always remained distant from the contrived BS of the music industry.

Like any person though, we change over time as we grow and get older, our interests and taste change, I guess Mikes have, hence why we are unlikely to the likes of TB, HG, Ommadawn and Incantations again. He's just moved on.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: June 18 2006, 04:43

Well it will be interesting to see what this piece of classical music is like when it is finally finished.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 05:56

For an example of Mike's excellent Guitar playing and improvisation, visit Youtube and watch the 1998 performance of Serpent Dream on Later with Jools Holland.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7eHj_ToZqI
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 18 2006, 19:28

Quote (Chicular @ July 18 2006, 11:56)
For an example of Mike's excellent Guitar playing and improvisation, visit Youtube and watch the 1998 performance of Serpent Dream on Later with Jools Holland.

Improvisation? This is almost note-perfect identical to the album. :)  I agree about the excellent playing, though. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: July 19 2006, 03:52

Quote (Ugo @ July 18 2006, 19:28)
Improvisation? This is almost note-perfect identical to the album. :)  I agree about the excellent playing, though. ;)

Ok, perhaps not improvisation as i'm sure it was rehearsed but the intro is different.
Profile PM 
Iksion Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2006, 19:03

Yea same here...But just the same! They ask me what you listen,i say Mike Oldfield they say:"Whos thet??" then i know thet i dont need to speak anymore... because i know thet thet people will never understun me or Mike..Or if i play them some songs they always says how its boring :( No,they are boring and blind! Tehno,rep and other crap destroyed there heads! Bah...

--------------
Im crazy old man,
Im dressed in red,
I drink sky like honey,
enough i have said.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 02:39

Quote (TOBY @ April 17 2006, 17:39)
Sexy guitar - yes
Sax guitar - no

:laugh:

TOBY, you mentioned a live "Orabidoo" from 1993. I recently came across a YouTube video of what might be what you're referring to? In any case, I am totally enamored with Mike's guitarring. I expect his ability isn't what it used to be - whether due to age or lack of practice - but that won't stop me from thinking of him as 'One of the Best'.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 07:42

One of best?!Oh dear Sweetpea you do disappoint me.Not one of.....THE BEST!
 Ok i love loads of guitarists and been influenced in my own playing by so many different players and sounds but Oldfield's playing is so much more than anyone else i've heard.It's not just screaming blues or 2000 mph metal guitarists (shredders?Guitar 100 metre sprinters.In no way are they musicians!!!;),nor is it truly folk,although he is master of folk style finger style.It's a whole range of things and emotions with a unique twist.Nuff said.Mike rocks.
 ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 16:16

Quote (The Caveman @ April 28 2008, 07:42)
One of best?!Oh dear Sweetpea you do disappoint me.Not one of.....THE BEST!

Actually, my pre-edited post had read "The Greatest", but then I figured maybe I should try to reign in my fangrrrl-ishness? Hehe.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 29 2008, 02:50

Ok.You're forgiven. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
16 replies since April 16 2006, 13:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net