Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield on a Pavarotti album?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Grand Piano Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 25 2000, 19:48

Its true!

I was browsing through the classical stuff on the amazon.com site and found one of Pavarottis charity albums (he seems to have done several) called "Pavarotti & Friends". Several other well known artists appear on this 14-track CD (and cassette) including Brian May, Sting and Bob Geldof.

However, you will all be interested to know that track 8 is 'Sentinel' performed by the Arcangelo Corelli Chamber Orchestra Italy with Mike Oldfield.

I suppose that the completists among you will want to hear this performance and it will set you back US$16.49. Here is the link to the page:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000421O/qid=975199419/107-4962329-1526123

If anybody buys it let us all know what it is like!
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2000, 20:54

Are Mike and Pavarotti really friends? wink wink
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2000, 17:14

AFAIK Pavarotti and Mike are not-so-much friends, in the sense that they do not meet very often. Oldfield was in that Pavarotti & Friends concert (it was the first one: the latest is number 8) because he played the Edimburgh TBII concert a few weeks before, and he (and probably WEA) knew that TBII would have a very huger world exposure if Mike was granted a participation at Pavarotti's show. So there he was.

P.S. "Sentinel",as he performed it in Pavarotti's show, was NOT live. He and his band (the Edimburgh one, minus 2 or 3 members) faked their playing [I can't say 'lip-synched' because obviously it was not a vocal performance... smile] to the 3':54'' Single Edit of the track,i.e. the XXV version. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ORCHESTRA IN IT. The CD's liner notes are plainly wrong.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2000, 17:25

Please let me re-state this more clearly: the liner notes on the Pavarotti and Friends CD are wrong. (Almost ALL of them are wrong, including the ones about Brian May and Zucchero...) The amazon.com page is also wrong. "Sentinel" on that CD is nothing else than the XXV Single Edit or Single Restructure, I don't remember. Anyway, it's the XXV version.

How can I be sure about this? That's simple:
I HAVE THAT CD!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

--------------
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2000, 20:20

Actually Ugo, I think you've got it wrong.

The story goes that Mikey Boy and the Edinburgh Castle Band performed it live, but the record company thought it didn't sound good enough so they put the XXV version on the CD.

Personally I think that is much more likely to be the case than the "lip synching" or whatever. You can't pull that off live with a piece as complex as Sentinel.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2000, 08:57

Oh well, bennyboy...maybe I'm really wrong and you're really right. wink After all the only evidence I have is the CD... smile

I don't think that the 'instrumental synching' during Pavarotti's show was that complex. A friend of mine has the official video release of that concert. The sound is (of course) that of the XXV version...the camera is focused, almost for the entire duration of the track, on Mike. 95% of the frames in the Sentinel performance are on him. The other 5% are on the singers, on the audience and on the whole band from a distance...and Mike's guitar does not even seem to be plugged!! smile
So what makes you think that simulating a live performance of Sentinel is complex? And where did you get the story about the 'live' performance not sounding good? wink

P.S. If Mike had really performed live, he'd have performed the full 8-minute version of Sentinel, not an edit. They had plenty of time to do it full length. Otherwise, what would have been the point of bringing up the whole 19-piece band on stage to perform an edit? Just for the sake of appearances? smile

P.P.S. Please don't take all of the above too seriously. I don't want to start another fight with anyone.

--------------
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2000, 12:27

I got that story off

C&*^%KDFTG^%&E*^&#THG^&

internet mailing list, so really I can't say that its that concrete accurate

"^&YH#$ER^%$*&WSDGJ@#%^&*&CXZQRHVSD%^&*

It just seems so unlike Mike and his perfectionist nature to fake that stuff to me

I mean why the hell would he fake it anyway, whats the reason?

:"FHR%&R$$#%GVAW&IUEDGEGTT#WQ%^$YESTFRAQ^Y%RDSRQ@#E&U^IYKMEDY^%E^IUHEAQTWIU$^*IUEGVHYAQEY&&W%#UJIRWSYHEQ$Y&JUH*JKNIWSG%UI%#WENUHJEAQGTVNJHSWZBYHU^$U&T^HE%#U%ER^TGY#WEU*^HB DSEYH^I%$^&Y$^&$EBHZSRUHE%&U#YUH%R

Whats the reason VESYGTRW$%U*^W#$%T$%I($U*#^%NJR DGHY$#Y&$RU*$TY#&Y%U*$^TY$%IE$Y^%U$#^Y&$%#&YUYURY&$%Y&U$R%&U%$R&YUU$%*I$ERU%*EEU*FRHCDHY
VDSYG$#&U*&KMDSARF#Q&U^IOYHGVSSWET$*UI^DSZRGT$ER

whats the reason

when i said it would be too complex i mean think about it its like %#^#*UIWERFQ#^YGDEDGV
^$YW$#&U%RGVWAQ%^TESTGW$U*JWSRS^UH*$EWAT$%UHEWTW##AQY$^&U%U*RDWS&YUED%I(%TDFBHZSWT^Y%RFDSWE#YH&DEYHZRJI%EYHBWZYSHWSSEGTYR%$^&U^TWS^YU*E#

You see?

I mean I thought it would look too obvious if it was faked so why not save the embarasment and do it real i mean thats what i would do if GVAQ#%^W@#%*U$^TNwq$%r@wu*edrfxfcrwaq^ty@$%rwsdxgft@#$&r%urdsz^y$wr&ufrfsdz ze$a&w#yWS%TWS$@R*UWQ$ARTQUH&WS%@$ATW@^Y%E#ES^TGWSFTG%SW$Y&@WATGWSU*I%#W^YWSGVT$E^TG@WSTGGWSY#QA%TGDR$WY^@WSR%FWSE^TGWSTGJU*EGT$%U&^W#T%GSETE$%SW#SYH&DE#WQ^YBCDSW%T$&$DE

whats the reason
@$#&WEDZSFVAQ&Y#W%UHWSR#AQ^&YW NJBSAFRQAT%^YHUNEDSRFTWS@#&R&*^UYWRT%$U*$RETG$&U#E^*U$FDYGT#$&YD$ED$%^T*I$RDE^%JU*%$ET%^&$EST^%$R%ETQWS#^Y$DEDY%&UDRCT^Y%*URT%^Q#@^RE\

whats the reason
GAQ$%W#&YEARFQ#&Y%TRHBWQ$R%$RUHEDRFW#$U&EFRWQR$%$SWS#T%#DY&$DER%$^Y$DET$RY&#TGYUH%%$W&YURDBSAFRABHY SAFRAY^&E$%RQ!^$&UESFRQ!^T$DEGQ%t$&ywsrfe#y&^#^#ed

I mean think about the issue here is really !@%AGEGVY$#WQ%R$WFAYH$W%Q@TGGVSEY^EWRWSGTEDUHJRTFWS$#W^YU&$&%*$&*%XDHRFJUH&%%TGGSR$^&#EWFWGNUR$E^TW^YE$U*EDXGXSEWY^E$U*J$(OR%HBWS%T&U

isn't it?

Nuff said. Thats the whole issue and really I don't know. Sorry for the length of this post and I hope you don't object to my statement. I too am not interested in cyberfight only intelligent, thoughtful, articulate discussion of mutual interest.
Profile PM 
Grand Piano Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2000, 15:48

Oh dear, I apologise for raisng this one. I thought I was doing MO fans a favour. Silly me to think that serious MO fans wouldn't have seen this before. Whatever chaps, please don't fight!

Bennyboy, forgive me, but what the heck are you trying to say? What is your point?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2000, 16:23

Yes, Bennyboy, what's your point?

smile smile smile I told you: don't take this seriously. smile smile smile

--------------
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2000, 18:45

Hello, this is Bennyboy.

In case you hadn't noticed I was having trouble with my computer at the time and all my e-mails and other outgoing messages were coming out garbled.

So that last e-mail really was not intended to provoke some kind of cyberfight.

Now, as to what I was saying, I was saying is there any other instance where we can suppose something might have been faked? I was looking at the "Tubular Bells II" concert and it seemed to me that a lot of the vocals were out of sync, the girls clapping their hands were wearing gloves and Mike was "singing" perfectly. What I was going to say was where do you draw the line here with what can and can't be faked?

Sorry for all the confusion people.
Profile PM 
msrmohr Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2000, 23:17

Bennyboy,
I thought there was some overdubbing on that TBII video! Yeah, the clapping, even the vocalists "dialogue" sounded, to my ears exactly as the studio version...I'm thinking some label execs didn't think the live take was acceptable in places and needed to "doctor" it...or did Mike have a hand in that, too?
Interesting...
R Mohr
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 02 2000, 20:45

I haven't got the CD (so I'll just believe Ugo...)

i can believe that Mike may have mimed the song, at least in part. I heard a bit of brian May's performance from that concert. Most of the song was just the album version, although he sung live over the top, and played a little guitar solo (on electric guitar, but with the original acoustic solo playing underneath...). So it seems that they weren't geared up for big live band performances. I may be wrong though...
Profile PM 
Mlokie Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2001, 11:37

If I coud say here something..
A have the CD and an original video too (I also had vinyl LP, but I sold it). Firts time I saw there's Mike on that CD, I was very surprised and I bought it, but it was a dissapointment for me, when I heard it. There's classic Sentinel remix without any live-sounding instruments. Btw, the CD was quite expencive. Then I wanted to know what does it look like and I obtained the video. I think Mike isn't very good actor and you can see him pretending playing guitar too emocionally.
Some of things are live, but most are played on playback. All voices and instruments are clear and nice except Sting and Zucchero on Muoio Per Te, which is really live, Aaron Neville, Suzanne Vega only sings live, the same on Brian May's Too Much Love Will Kill You, where he sings (also in italian!) and plays guitar live, but the music is original May's version and the final La Donna E'Mobile. One very inrerresting thing there is Lucio Dalla - Amen, where the camera don't move all the time and a couple of nice people play theatrical show, chiefly the "bass-guitar player". I like them smile
After that Mike starts to play keyboards and then suddenly takes a guitar.. (when he's got nothing to play on guitar, he goes back to the keyboard and play a bit again). Even the sound of audience in the ending seems to me like added.
There is Laurence Cottle, vocalists and more people from TBII video.
Very nice performance, but what I like more, are true LIVE performances..
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2002, 16:37

Hi,
I have always wondered what the hell Mike was doing at that Pavarotti concert,i have never seen the video so bare with me,but Pavarotti is a singer right!!,Mike does'nt really sing,and sentinal is an instrumental track,forget if it was live or not,the question is why was Mike asked to be there?
Profile PM 
13 replies since Nov. 25 2000, 19:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net