Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield interview in Resolution magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 22 2007, 17:22

Quote (yanouch65 @ Mar. 22 2007, 10:43)
Does someone know what is the track we can heard at the beginning of the interview?

http://www.recordproduction.com/mike-oldfield-video.html

Is it a Mike's track?

Thank you!

:)

I don't think anyone knows yet. Doesn't sound like him, though. But if it is, awesome. I'm starting to doubt it, personally....

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22 2007, 20:04

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 22 2007, 14:00)
aaaaaaaah.... riiiiight. Just for a moment I was thinking maybe you were on some kind of drugs or in some higher spheres or something, moonhippy! ;)

I can't afford to buy any herbs atm :(  LOL!!!   I feel as if I'm often floating far above the clouds heheheeheeeee!!! That's without Puff  the Magic Dragon or any other magickal herbs.  Guess I just have a natural exuberance  :D , that spills out all over the place.

I guess I have a love of old (mechanical) things, I love to see our heritage preserved.

hairy old hippy   Posted on Mar. 22 2007, 18:28Yo Moonchildhippy,

Did you ever see a docementary about a preserved steam railway line somewhere in the UK that used extracts from Incantations as the soundtrack? The chugging string rhythmn worked perfectly as the backdrop for a steam train. If you're into that kind of stuff you'll love it, not sure what it's called though.

I taped some of it off the tele about 15 years ago though I think it dates back much further than that, from before daytime tv was all antiques and 'I'm a house get me out of here' and all that.

A steam railway pictured against a musical  backdrop of Incantations, sounds interesting, would love to see that  :cool . There's just something about steam ya just don't get with modern trains, just wouldn't be the same with one of those new fangled Pendolino things ( Used between London Euston, routes to Glasgow  Liverpool and Birmingham), or whatever they're called.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2007, 06:16

Quote (yanouch65 @ Mar. 22 2007, 16:43)
Does someone know what is the track we can heard at the beginning of the interview?

Is it a Mike's track?

Thank you!

Nope, its a sample loop from Garageband that comes standard on Macintosh computers.

And that backing track sounds like something form teh ready made loops in Logic :)

So, i 100% think its not his music.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2007, 08:14

Quote (jonnyw @ Mar. 23 2007, 12:16)
Quote (yanouch65 @ Mar. 22 2007, 16:43)

Is it a Mike's track?

Thank you!

Nope, its a sample loop from Garageband that comes standard on Macintosh computers.

And that backing track sounds like something form teh ready made loops in Logic :)

So, i 100% think its not his music.

Thank you for your answer!

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2007, 07:16

Very interesting news there, and quite unexpected really. The most unexpected part is that it's supposed to be about Halloween. That seems to call for something rather moody, which I always like hearing from Mike.
I personally wouldn't get my hopes up too high in expecting it to be anything like his 70s work though, I rather suspect it will be a lot like an extended Mont St. Michel. I could imagine far worse though, particularly since, as it will be a full-length, there's a lot more room for diversity there. And with it being completely orchestral, there isn't much of a chance for it to be too plastic-sounding. I can't however really picture it being a lot different from Hollywood type music, though I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. Either way I can't imagine it being all bad, and I'm quite looking forward to hearing the result.
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2007, 09:50

For the past few days I've been listening to Jenkin's The Essential Collection and I easily fall in love.  I believe I will get most of his albums very soon.  If Mike and Karl get to find common language on this new project this is going to be masterpiece!
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 06 2007, 04:42

When I come to think of it, Mike colaborating with Karl Jenkins is very good news. Actually, I think Mike needs colaborators. I'm thinking of FMO when Rick Fenn and others were involved in production and arrangements. It seemed to bring discipline to Mike's working methods, and the result was interesting records with lots of unexpected things happening.

Actually, I think the last memorable album from Mike was Heaven's Open, and that's also the last time he had another trained musician as production partner. An album like Guitars could have been much better if someone other "visionary" musician would have provided a second opinion before it was released. That's what I think. (Trevor Horn doesn't count, he did TATU!;)

Jenkins is an extremely talented and skilled musician and arranger, and hopefully he'll expand on Mike's ideas. I'm hopeful.

BTW I love the records Soft Machine did with Karl Jenkins on board. I think that if a person who enjoys Platinum would propably enjoy "Seven", "Bundles", "Softs" and "Alive and Well in Paris" and (especially) "Land of Cockayne" from Soft Machine.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 06 2007, 07:46

i have only heard Adiemus, never Soft Machine.
thanks for the info  :)
I can only say that im 100% agree with you. Im sure this album will be something great. This will be something. It is great with something fresh and new. And the orchestral idea is not stupid either...
Now i will try to find Soft machine out there somewhere  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: April 09 2007, 14:45

I have very high hopes, too concerning the new album although I've never heard Adiemus or Soft Machine.

But the idea of a "classical" piece of music played by a real orchestra - it's exactly the thing I've always hoped Mike will do one fine day...   :)

Only that hope gave me the strength to go through that chill out and computer sound period with Tres Lunas and L+S!  ;)
(Ok, there were a few nice pieces on those albums, too but I could never completely identify myself with that kind of music and I always had the feeling that Mike was wasting his talents...)

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: April 09 2007, 18:25

i just got a reply from karl jenkins music it has been confirmed that karl and mike are working on the classical album right now.  so it is going ahead.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 09 2007, 22:11

what a great news  :cool:
This is really exciting.

thanks for the news ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Mix Offline

Posted: April 10 2007, 14:44

I completely agree with Starwatcher. There were a couple of moments on TL and L+S that I really enjoyed, but Mike getting serious with classical music is exactly the thing I was hoping for... Hopefully some excerpts will be made available online even before the work is finished.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 22 2007, 12:22

More about the new album...

Quote (HuanCry @ April 22 2007, 09:27)
CONFIRMED :-

'Mike Oldfield is currently working on his debut classical recording, for choir and orchestra, set for release through Universal in October. Using musical and lyrical themes associated with the ancient festival of Hallowe’en, this is powerful and emotional music that is bound to appeal to Mike Oldfield fans, and beyond.'

Link:-http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/prmts/prmts.html?in_article_id=449786&in_page_id=1777

Neil
:D  :)  :D

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
conny_a Offline

Posted: April 29 2007, 04:20

While reading the article about the new orchestral piece, I was really delightful. I am looking forward to this new album.

What concerns me is that Mike said that almost anyone can create music in the computer. It is true that you can create something - but it is not necessarily music. The Light & Shade album is among the worst recordings I have ever heard. To make it among the very best - remake it into an acoustic version.

Music to me is when I can sense the atmosphere in the recording, like when a drummer and guitarist are on the same wavelength, adding that little extra to the end of a passage in the music, or when the guitarist gets really excited about a passage and starts playing without even thinking about playing - it just happens.

In general, I enjoy live performances more than studio albums. I hate studio engineers that kills recordings by using compressors and stuff.

So, I am really curious about the orchestral arrangement that Mike is working on. I wish that he will make it entirely acoustic without any computer-generated sounds. Make it simple, let us hear the atmosphere, let us hear the strings, the bells, the percussion, just as they sound live!
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 06:55

In general, I enjoy live performances more than studio albums. I hate studio engineers that kills recordings by using compressors and stuff.

You have recording engineers and mastering engineers. The recording engneer makes sure that everything is recorded nicely, and -if he's good- leaves quite some headroom (that makes the job easier for mastering engineers and leaves as much information as possible). Not that he doesn't use compressors or expanders (or de-essers, what have you); you simply HAVE to for some instruments. But you can use them such that it doesn't hurt the recording at all. That's what a good recording engineer does.

Mastering engineers take the recording and make a master. One for vinyl, one for CD, one for radios, etc. Each of them has their own specific requirements. (sound good in mono for radio, smart processing of low end dynamics for vinyl, etc) Normally these people know their job. But then there's someone who orders them -at gunpoint- to make the CD louder. Louder. LOUDER.  Black Eyed Peas are louder than this. MAKE IT LOUDER!!! And that's where the compression kicks in too much, dynamics are lost and (digital) clipping introduced.

For live recordings, apparently there is less need to have an overly "hot" CD as it isn't played on radios or in pubs right behind the louder Black Eyed Peas (sorry guys, just naming a random group, no offense :)) studio album. That way, the atmosphere -indeed, the DYNAMICS- of the live recording are kept.

Just listen to the Peppers: Californication. Next to the same album, the "unmastered" version (which might be a vinyl master actually). You immediately hear the result of sprankling a mastering engineer with fuel and telling him to make it louder while holding a match in your hand.

That's also a reason why vinyl records sometimes sound better: simply because the master engineer, who in essence has a more difficult job when making a vinyl master than a cd master- wasn't forced to make it too loud. And because of the inherent difficulties of CD mastering, the mastering engineer pays more attention to getting the best he can out of the master. Combine these two factors, and you have a better master, even though in essence it has more limitations than a cd master. The CD is an excellent medium, and if mastering engineers weren't told their closest relatives were kidnapped until that meter read +6 dB all the time, it would indeed sound excellent. This is what you hear on a "well recorded cd". It isn't recorded that much better than other CD's, it's MASTERED better.

That's why HDCD and SACD are a bit silly IMO: why don't they start with mastering regular CD's in a sensible way. HDCD and SACD are technically superior indeed. But the biggest gain in quality is at the moment due to sensible and detailed mastering (just like why vinyl records tend to sound good).
Profile PM 
conny_a Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 16:50

That's why HDCD and SACD are a bit silly IMO: why don't they start with mastering regular CD's in a sensible way.

With the risk of being off topic, I would like to add a few very nice remastering efforts:

I have the Deep Purple Machine head on SACD. The CD-version on the very same disc is not nearly as good as the SACD-version - but when I resampled the SACD through my sound card and made a regular CD - just for testing - it sounded almost as good as the SACD. I kind of remember the LP sound and I must say that the SACD is very good - but sometimes I miss the crackle and pops ...

Another amazing remastering is made by Ted Kendall (JSP records) of the Django Reinhardt recordings. Improvisation No 2 take 2 from 1938 is amazing. There are some surface sounds from the pressing, but it doesn't matter. The brilliant playing by Django can't be beaten by any guitar player ...

Last, let's not forget that a very good recording/mastering in combination with a good hifi equipment will reveal the "mood" of the artist and orchestra. If all is well performed, the CD will be a masterpiece, and that is what I would like to have.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: May 03 2007, 17:27

You show the issue here: they spend a lot of effort on a remaster and put it on SACD. If they had put the same effort in the CD master, there would be much less need for SACD as a medium. That said, all other things being equal a SACD should sound better than a regular CD. (and what went wrong with the CD version on your SACD: I don't know, I can only assume it's an original, bad CD master they used there)

- but sometimes I miss the crackle and pops ...

A mint, well pressed LP tends to lack those :).

Oh well, let's hope the new MO album will be mastered nicely, also for regular CD. It being classical music, chances are good.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 12:47

Quote (Nicolas @ May 03 2007, 23:27)

It sure does! :cool: That's why I bought the entire Depeche Mode back catalogue on LP now that it's been re-printed on LPs, not when the LPs originally came out! :)

P.S. Going a little bit off-topic here, sorry. But aren't we all? :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 04 2007, 17:02

Quote (Nicolas @ May 03 2007, 22:27)

Now there was a rarity: the well-pressed LP. So many LPs were badly pressed - the vinyl lifting away from the master not quite cleanly, I presume - only to a microscopic degree, but enough to generate noticeable distortion or additional noise (and of course stamp the microscopic vinyl residue into all rest of that batch of LPs that were subsequently pressed from that master). And then, even the best of pressings was always so very good at picking up dust from its sleeve and bombarding me with crackles and pops the next time I played it, as if laughing at my ineffectual antistatic turntable mat and record cleaner.

Yeah, the good old days, when records really did sound like records .....
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 07 2007, 12:24

Continuing the stuff from Resolution magazine, on the letters page of the newest issue (May/June 2007):

"... Mike Oldfield appeared to deny the existence of a quadraphonic version of Tubular Bells. I mixed it in quad at The Manor in 1975 ably assisted by Mick Glossop and Alan Perkins. It was first used in Boxed, a four album set, and almost immediately replaced the pseudo-quad version which Mike mentions was done at Abbey Road, which was then withdrawn. I believe that the 'new' version was later used for a special edition 'picture disc' and in 2001 it re-appeared as one of the very first SACDs. In the latter case, despite all the cover notes, many SACDs were returned to the shops because they were 'faulty' – nothing came out of the centre front speaker (it was a four-channel mix!). This version is still in the shops over 30 years after it was mixed, so there definitely was/is a quadraphonic version of the original Tubular Bells.
Philip Newell, Span"
Profile PM 
166 replies since Mar. 03 2007, 17:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net