Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield interview in Resolution magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 17:09

It would be nice to see the scan of the cover...it's not that common to see Mike on the front cover of a mag.

About the interview itself,sounds quite interesting and revealing too.It's clear that now Mike is in a state that creating music depends on his own muse - Light + Shade was much like this,as far as I remember from an interview when the album was released,and music is not the most important thing in his life like it used to be.

I do hope that being Michael Gordon Oldfield for a while than being Mike Oldfield(the musician we know and admire) can be quite helpful for the musician,more relaxed and confortable on his own skin(and Jake has helped him a lot on that) ;)

Hummm,loved this particular bit:
"I’ve just come off a big tour in Germany with a symphony orchestra. That was quite exciting to be in front of a big audience again, we’ve got two more concerts in Spain in March with the same orchestra."

...it was the very first commment from him after the Proms and sounds nice !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 19:03

Crikey...!

I've only just found this piece of news - I've been very busy and a bit out of the loop (cue a series of daft jokes from our lovable nerds re: Fruityloops and Logic Pro...)

An Orchestral piece with guitar and grand piano? Sounds promising - exciting even! Bit perturbed by all the talk of MIDI files near the beginning of the bit that I read - still sounds a bit too computerey to me. Would be nice to see him back using more traditional, rustic instruments - nutcrackers and taped-moter-drive-engines and steam-driven xylophones and the like...:)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2007, 00:18

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Mar. 16 2007, 00:03)
Would be nice to see him back using more traditional, rustic instruments - nutcrackers and taped-moter-drive-engines and steam-driven xylophones and the like...:)

I'm particularly keen to see the glass of water brought back into action.
Profile PM 
Man From The Moon Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2007, 06:03

Hey, don't worry about computers - we have clear information - it will be a classical album - Orchestra and Mike on a piano and classic guitar - everything will be playd live, on real instruments! Computers will be used as a recording tool, not as a instrument!:)
Demo version is something different - it can be created on the computer screen, but then, it will be translated into real orchestra. It's just a modern note-book:)
I understand this in that way - I see no reason to think, that  "not-real-instruments" will be involved:)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 16 2007, 12:15

yes that is true..
orchestral + Mike on piano and classic guitar..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 16 2007, 15:15

I see no reason to think, that  "not-real-instruments" will be involved:)

He even said he's trying to get away from fake instruments and you "can't get any further away than classical".

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
fragile Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2007, 05:26

the question is:
is he using the guitar and piano as solo instruments against the orchestra ( ex. as in a piano or guitar concerto) or will he overdub more guitars, so that they could be a real interesting mixed sound- colour with the orchestra.

In my case, I don´t want to hear an Oldfield Guitar Concerto. I hope he uses more guitars and piano in overdubs...

>He even said he's trying to get away from fake instruments and you >"can't get any further away than classical".

maybe Mike thinks that the electric guitar is a fake instrument too  ;)
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2007, 08:23

Well it's electronic. Maybe he's aiming for entirely acoustic. His last album was almost entirely electric. Actually his last few albums have been almost entirely electric.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2007, 13:33

I can understand that many people love Mike's electric guitar playing - I do too - but why should it be required here as many has expressed? I don't understand this "forced instrumentation".

If Mike wants to make a classical album, why not make it the way he wants to do it, and it seems he wants to do it the traditional way: only acoustic instruments. I have high hopes for this work, and in my mind an acoustic guitar fits much better with a symphony orchestra than an electric one does. I wouldn't mind one bit if he DID use electric guitar, but I am amazed how some posters here seem to think it is not real Mike if there's not an electric guitar there... For me, Mike has always been more a composer than musician.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2007, 14:48

I've put a scan of the front cover on to my Mac Homepage thing. I might not keep it there forever (because I don't get a huge amount of bandwidth - I don't really need it), so do download a copy if you want to.

Mike on the cover of Resolution
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2007, 15:04

Thanks, Mat!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 17 2007, 17:33

thanks for the scan  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2007, 19:18

Today I went to local shop and I got Karl Jenkins & Adiemus "The Essential Collection".  Talk here got me into checking him and I guess this collection will help me out to see if it is my cup of tea.  I'm really looking forward to this new album.
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2007, 09:46

Thanks for the scan Mat!!!! Much appreciated!!!!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2007, 20:09

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Mar. 17 2007, 14:48)
I've put a scan of the front cover on to my Mac Homepage thing. I might not keep it there forever (because I don't get a huge amount of bandwidth - I don't really need it), so do download a copy if you want to.

Mike on the cover of Resolution

Matt - you're a true star! Thankyou very much for that! :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2007, 19:26

i cannot wait for mike's classical album, it will be interesting.  and to work on it with the brill karl jenkins, will make it really something worth listening to.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2007, 20:14

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Mar. 15 2007, 23:03)
An Orchestral piece with guitar and grand piano? Sounds promising - exciting even! Bit perturbed by all the talk of MIDI files near the beginning of the bit that I read - still sounds a bit too computerey to me. Would be nice to see him back using more traditional, rustic instruments - nutcrackers and taped-moter-drive-engines and steam-driven xylophones and the like...:)

I gather the computers will only be used for the the recording of the music and not as instruments. Taped motor drive engines and steam driven xylophones sounds interesting. Perhaps  Mike is considering making an album based on steam POWWWWEEEERRRR    
  ;) . Steam does have a certain romance about it could fit a piece of classical musicvery well.

Ah I just love the smell of steam, saw a "Bulleid Pacific" (pronounced Bullihead) (O.V.S Bulleid, Southern Railway, Chief Mechanical Engineer and locomotive designer) West Country Class  No. 34027   "Taw Valley"  raising a full head of steam through my local station a while back, she was really shifting.  For those of you who are unsure of your West Country, Battle of Britain and Merchant Navy Classes see here.  
www.hurstmereclose.freeserve.co.uk/html/a_brief_bulleid_pacific_appreciation.html :cool:
Sorry about that , went off into my own world of steam there, I can't help it get this form my Dad.

I'm glad this album sees Mike returning to more traditional instrumentataion :D. MUch as I like Light and Shade I feel I have to be in the right mood for certain tracks, but Tubular Bells Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn I can listen to anytime. :)  :D .

Despite typing the address correctly the link above doesn't seem to work, for those who haven't a clue what I'm going on about, here's another one www,trainsferriesbuses.co.uk/bulleid.htm

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2007, 10:00

aaaaaaaah.... riiiiight. Just for a moment I was thinking maybe you were on some kind of drugs or in some higher spheres or something, moonhippy! ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2007, 11:43

Does someone know what is the track we can heard at the beginning of the interview?

http://www.recordproduction.com/mike-oldfield-video.html

Is it a Mike's track?

Thank you!

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2007, 14:28

Yo Moonchildhippy,

Did you ever see a docementary about a preserved steam railway line somewhere in the UK that used extracts from Incantations as the soundtrack? The chugging string rhythmn worked perfectly as the backdrop for a steam train. If you're into that kind of stuff you'll love it, not sure what it's called though.

I taped some of it off the tele about 15 years ago though I think it dates back much further than that, from before daytime tv was all antiques and 'I'm a house get me out of here' and all that.

Anyway. I've been listening to Karl Jenkins 'Requiem' today, really very good.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
166 replies since Mar. 03 2007, 17:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net