Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield interview in Resolution magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 17:28

WOnderful news!!

Sounds great, and I love those new pictures  :)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 17:34

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 04 2007, 16:46)
Quote (fragile @ Mar. 04 2007, 19:27)
>Am I seeing this right? Is Mike still using Fruity Loops????? C'mon! Where's Logic man?

Hey man -that IS Logic Pro!!!

dude, it was a sarcastic comment

:)  :D  I would prefer that he uses Orion Platinum 7.1 .... I could give him some of my works ...  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
fragile Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 17:43

>Am I seeing this right? Is Mike still using Fruity Loops????? C'mon! Where's Logic man?

OK I see. Sounded as if you need glasses  :D
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 19:02

Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 04 2007, 14:04)
One question..
Is this going to be a album about Halloween??????
I hope not... sounds scary...

Hallowe'en isn't scary, but it's a very sacred and solemn time. In addition to my remarks above, here is an article that might help to understand more about it. Here is another one. The left-hand side bar at Witchvox contains even more articles (see under Samhain).

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 20:51

but it seems to have connections with witches??

or is it ->
The Celtic peoples called the time between Samhain (pronounced "SOW-in" in Ireland, SOW-een in Wales, "SAV-en" in Scotland or even "SAM-haine" in non Gaelic speaking countries) and Brigid's Day "the period of little sun." Thus, Samhain is often named the "Last Harvest" or "Summer's End".

or is it some holidays for celtics??

this is so new for me. I knew Halloween was not from USA, but that is all you know..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 23:20

Hmmm...where to begin...others may have a different take on this....and you can read even more about it at witchvox.com or even on the wiki. There are also many helpful books.

Celtic people were very tuned into the rhythm of the year--their survival depended on it. It has been suggested that the season-based traditions practiced by the Celts had their origins over 30,000 years ago in the ancestors of the Dravidian people of the Indus Valley. Today, and probably in Celtic times too, there were eight major observances every year, which coincided with the solstices/equinoxes and cross quarters (e.g., Samhain [31 Oct], Beltaine [1 May], Imbolc [2 Feb], and Lughnassa [4 Aug] -- basically an observance every 6 weeks. Some are more festive than others, e.g., Beltaine and Mabon. Several of the sabbats are harvest festivals.  Samhain is the final harvest festival (grain) but is also very solemn and can be very intense. I suppose there is an element of fear for those not comfortable with mingling with the dead. The dead are not conjured; no seances are held; rather, they are simply invited to join in the observance--and in our group specific departed ones are invited.

The way that it generally works in our group...after cleansing the space, inviting the deities, and casting the circle, we do some guided imagery activities, a few other things, have cakes & ale, and then release the circle. Then we have lots of food. At Samhain, it is very special. On Samhain, we generally pick one or two friends or ancestors to honor (and we may have talked to them during circle), and cook their favorite food. Before eating, everyone tells what they brought, and the connection the food has to their loved one. Then, they place a small amount of it on a special plate, which will be offered to the dead. When everyone has had a turn, then we mortals eat. This past Samhain I honored my friend who died in July.

Re: "Witch"--I really don't like that term because of all the negative connotations. "Wicca" is a fairly recent term, and not everyone is happy with that. We're really not very scary, nor do we fall into any of the stereotypes that have grown up about witches (and there is a reason that stereotypes and negative connotations happened--it has to do with the Catholic Church discrediting the existing folk belief systems of Europe). I have never met one with green skin, though sometimes green and pink hair. :D I suppose I am a seeker--a pilgrim--on an earth-based spiritual journey that shares some commonalities to what would have been followed in Celtic times. The same? No, even though in our group there are people whose mother's mother's mother's mother etc. practiced in much the same way (sometimes called hereditary witches).

As for Mike, I think it's perfect, in a way. Remember Amarok--endings are only beginnings? ;) Well--Samhain is sort of like that. It's simultaneously the end of a year and the New Year....as I mentioned...it's a time of pause...a lifting of the veil....

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 06:43

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Mar. 04 2007, 22:34)

:)  I would prefer that he uses Orion Platinum 7.1 .... I could give him some of my works ...  :laugh:

i use logic! its the greatest!  :D   :D   :D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 08:24

Quote (jonnyw @ Mar. 05 2007, 06:43)

:)  I would prefer that he uses Orion Platinum 7.1 .... I could give him some of my works ...  :laugh:

i use logic! its the greatest!  :D   :D   :D

OFF TOPIC :

:D You wish !   :D  Orion is the most easy and intuitive sequencer i know !  Try it !    ;)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 08:38

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 05 2007, 05:20)
Hmmm...where to begin...others may have a different take on this....and you can read even more about it at witchvox.com or even on the wiki. There are also many helpful books. ect ect

thansk alot for all the info Inkanta  :D
I hope there we be such ommadawn celtic sound in this album!!
Im just glad it is not a american Halloween album ha ha..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 09:37

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Mar. 05 2007, 13:24)
Quote (jonnyw @ Mar. 05 2007, 06:43)

I would prefer that he uses Orion Platinum 7.1 .... I could give him some of my works ...

i use logic! its the greatest!  :D  

OFF TOPIC :

You wish !   :D  Orion is the most easy and intuitive sequencer i know !  Try it !    ;)

I had a copy of orion a while ago, i pureley didnt like it as it was a bit too simple for me, half the things i neede werent there, and its layout was awful!

i duno, each to thier own i guess, but to me orion is in the same league as fruityloops ;)

Logic has the automation tricks etc that i use most often and everything is set out the way i like it, and because i switched to mac from windows, i have become far more accustomed to how Mac software is layed out :)

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 10:02

Let's hope the orchestra won't be horrified by Mike's performance on the piano. ;) They are used to play with virtuosos.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 10:18

hehe... well... the piano bits can't be more simple than those on L+S, so I hope he'll do some more of the Top of the Morning like things!!!
That sure is majestic piano playing!!!  :cool:  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 11:12

i think Blackbird and Rocky is such wonderful pieces!
And Landfall from Tres Lunas is one of my favorite also...
So no worries from me  :)

and good to see you here Stefan ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 12:07

Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 05 2007, 11:12)
i think Blackbird and Rocky is such wonderful pieces!
And Landfall from Tres Lunas is one of my favorite also...

Oh, yes, I liked them too, but I'm sure it wouldn't impress some other professional piano players  :p

It's been a while, yes, since I was here. I started to miss it, so here I am  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 14:50

Mike may or may not be technically a good piano player (or guitar player - I'm sure I read that somewhere!;). If some of the orchestra snobs turn their noses up at his playing more fool them.  What I love is the emotion he can sometimes put into his playing and his understanding of how his bits of piano or guitar can work within an overall composition.

For this reason I am very much looking forward to hearing what he is working on. But I am not in a rush, I hope he takes his time and produces the quality of composition we know he is capable of rather than rushing through with a notion.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 15:36

David Gilmour is not known to be the king of saxophon, but still he did play "Red sky at night" and i love the mood with his use of saxophone.

Same with Mike. It is the mood. His use of piano is wonderful and i happy to hear that he will do it again.
Only thing is that he dont play electric guitar..
:/   a bit sad

but Mont Michel is very nice!!  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 16:27

Lake Constance is excellent.  Orchestral with Mike on Guitar.  This sounds very promising.
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 16:51

The video is now online - nice interview but no other news than Mike says he is indeed going to "try" in classical world, as he has pretty much done everything else(!;)

Video
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 17:15

Quote (fragile @ Mar. 04 2007, 23:43)

OK I see. Sounded as if you need glasses  :D

Maybe some day I will! ;) :)

Nice to see Mike on a video again though! :) But jeez, that sound quality!!! Sounds to me they just used the camera microphone; I expected more from a recording magazine when it comes to sound!!!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2007, 17:57

some photos

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
166 replies since Mar. 03 2007, 17:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net