Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield Concerts, experiences and stories< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
lukaszswietek Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 14 2010, 05:29

Anybody knows if Mike will play any concerts in future ? Im only 15 and I  didn't have chance to see him live. I wanted to see him on Night Of The Proms but.... I thought that he will play only one or two tracks...
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2010, 11:21

Some nice stories, thanks for sharing. An aquaintance back in the late 70's early 80's worked part time at Brixton where MO was practising, I had a chance to go, but didnt make it....she said he was a great musician, but a bit of an arsehole as a person. Im glad I didnt go.
Profile PM 
Robbie Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2011, 04:07

Any rumours Mike would embarks on a tour very soon ?????  :/
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 10 2011, 04:45

I wouldn´t even think about it.

:/
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2011, 04:49

...when I've become a MO fan 10 years ago,I had this dream to see him playing live,which seemed impossible,but in 2006 it did happen.

As for now,I don't think so...but you'll never know!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2011, 08:46

I don't want to see Mike announcing concerts at the moment as it might disturb him away fromt he 10 CD/DVD super deluxe edition of Incantations..... please.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2011, 12:36

The nearest I got to seeing Mike live was when I was on a school excursion in September 1982 in Stratford Upon Avon and we had a day trip out to Oxford. Me and a friend were walking past this venue and I saw the poster outside and went in the front door, which was open. There was a soundcheck going on inside the hall and I got so bloody excited at the thought that I might be a few feet away from Mike but the doors were locked and the windows were too small to really see who was inside. Couldn't hang around either as we had to get back to the bus to return to Stratford. Would have been a great birthday treat for me as that weekend was my 17th birthday.

I was going to go to see him at the NOTP in Köln (I wasn't living in Köln then as I do now but I wasn't too far away from Köln at the time) but someone talked me out of it!!! Kicked myself ever since.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Gambit Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2011, 00:06

I would sell my soul to be able to see him play live. Damnit I was born in the wrong generation
Profile PM 
david0ff Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2011, 17:32

I saw Mike perform in concert just once, in 1999 at Grand Rex (Paris, France) for his TB3 european tour.
That was the last I saw of Mike since.

BTW, were you there?

After the sublime Ommadawn part II, the TSODE promotion (not really fan at that time)
he took time to perform TB3.

For the last encores, "Far Above the clouds" was played twice in a row that night!
It felt unexpected, but I finaly enjoyed it.

I wondered if this has been the same in all his european tours in 1999,
and if Mike has already done the same encore twice in a row in any other previous concert?!!

--------------
But as we all know, endings are just beginnings...
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2011, 07:58

Yep he did Far above the clouds as an encore twice in the Uk too.....I thought it strange at the time.
Profile PM 
david0ff Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2011, 13:54

yes, it felt at first strange, as if Mike did not have enough other material to perform!! haha! :laugh:
I guess he performed that song twice at every concert on his TB3 tour.
I still never heard of him performing twice the same song at his previous concerts...

--------------
But as we all know, endings are just beginnings...
Profile PM 
akd Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 17:25

I have seen Mike a few times, back in the 1980s and most recently during 2006 (in Munich, NoTP). In 1980 MO played at the Macroom Mountain Dew Festival, an outdoor summer festival in County Cork, to the South of Ireland. Others playing included Lindisfarne, The Chieftains, Paul Brady and Van Morrison. I made some notes about this concert at the time.

When Mike came on he said that he was "guilty of everything, including a hangover", then (surprise) played Guilty. After this he introduced TB Part 1 by saying that he was "fed up with people ripping off Tubular Bells, so he'd ripped off a Timex advertisement". Ommadawn Part 1 was introduced by explaining that the title meant 'fool' (or as the Irish audience would have known it, 'amadán' ). He also mentioned that Hanny's (Hansford Rowe) bass amplifier was missing (?) and finished with an encore of what at the time I called 'an Irish sounding song' to "make the audience feel at home".

Can any forum members help to fill in any of the blanks? What is the reference to the Timex advertisement? And what might the encore have been?

Like many on this forum, I wish I'd seen more concerts when there were so many chances to do so!! Even if he did play some things twice I'd be more than happy!!! Live and learn.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2011, 11:34

AKD.....weird now you mention that irish Jig......he did that at another concert in the 80's. I fully expected to hear it on an album at some point, but its never appeared. Cant help with the timex thing mate....No idea what he meant by people ripping of TB either.
Profile PM 
anewman Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2011, 20:33

Only once for me, the Horse Guards Parade TB3 concert. Got one of the fan allocated tickets reserved by Dark Star close to the front. Disappointed I had to leave early to make sure I managed to get the tube back. Was great when everyone got out of their seats and went down to the front, and Mike played some of his old pop tunes. I wanted to go to the Then and Now tour, but had no money and had to decide against it at the time justifying that I had already been to the Horse Guards Parade concert.

I'm a big fan but would never have tried hanging around outside a back entrance to somewhere to get to meet him. Have never met Mike but the comments of those who have would appear to confirm my suspicions from his autobiography, that he has some slight traits of Aspergers. That's not meant to be in any way negative, far from it, geniuses often have another side to them. For example it is reputed Albert Einstein had Aspergers.

I hope Mike will tour again, but I get the impression that touring isn't really his "thing". Then again he is often unpredictable. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2011, 21:39

Quote (anewman @ Mar. 21 2011, 20:33)
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst :)

Forever young, I want to be forever young...  :laugh:
Profile PM 
anewman Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2011, 12:58

Quote (akd @ Mar. 15 2011, 17:25)
After this he introduced TB Part 1 by saying that he was "fed up with people ripping off Tubular Bells, so he'd ripped off a Timex advertisement".

What is the reference to the Timex advertisement? And what might the encore have been?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fCawV1QpKA perhaps?
Profile PM 
akd Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2011, 15:56

Thanks anewman. Excellent spot! This is entirely plausible as the source of the reference from 1980. And how fantastically reminiscent of that time but how things have changed?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2011, 17:19

@ nightspore, off-topic: wasn't that "hoping for the best but expecting the worst / are you gonna drop the bomb or not" ? anewman's quote is not really accurate... :D

By the way, I think that the most recent cover of that song (Jay Z) is nothing but pure crap. Instead, the other previous one (Youth Group) is nothing short of excellent. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
HR lover Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2011, 18:16

Those rappers rape it all IMO. All my favourite songs get raped. They can't think of anything so they cover everything. Whenever I hear a rap song that I actually like it turns out that the part I like is covered. Not only do they rape the song they also rape fourteen year old girls on stage or put women in dog collars.

--------------
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2011, 19:56

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 23 2011, 17:19)
@ nightspore, off-topic: wasn't that "hoping for the best but expecting the worst / are you gonna drop the bomb or not" ?

Yes, Ugo, you old chalkie  :laugh:
Profile PM 
46 replies since Aug. 04 2010, 00:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net