Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mike oldfield and 'el concierto de aranjuez', could he ever work about it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
maria Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 04 2003, 09:12

'el concierto de aranjuez' is imho, one of the most beautiful pieces of classical music... u may know it, it was composed by joaquín rodrigo, a spanish blind composer and the guitar parts  have been played by guitarists as narciso yepes or andrés segovia...
this masterpiece has got something magical for me... j. rodrigo composed it inspired by the smells of the palace gardens... well, this is what my grandfather, who was from aranjuez, told me when i was a child,  could be a tale...but it makes a lot of sense to me.
i've sometimes thought about the possibility of mike performing it, how would he do it? i would love to listen to him playing the 'adagio' with a spanish guitar... everytime he had gone into the 'spanish feeling' he has done it more than fine... this is one of the things that have made me remain attracted to his music... from time to time he takes a dive in it... taurus lll and serpent dream are among my favourite short instrumentals... i think he gets on well with spanish way of playing guitar... the same in the more folky tradition... that in a more classical way...

mike's works, most of all the oldest ones, are structured the same as classical music... e.c.a. in this case, is divided into three moves, the whole composition is a dialogue between the different voices of the guitar hold by the orchestra, which sometimes fades to let the guitar speak alone... it last more or less 25 minutes... don't know, maybe it a nonsense but it would be great not only listening to mike performing the 'adagio' but listening to a free oldfield's version of it...
:)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Bubular Tells Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 04 2003, 14:14

There exists a 4 minute version for brass band which I really like. It's on the soundtrack of the movie Brassed Off.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 04 2003, 17:53

It's among Mike favourite pieces of music for Guitar (or was at one time, he may have changed his mind by now), together with Francisco Tárrega's 'Recuerdos de la Alhambra' (which most of you will know was rearranged to produce 'Étude' for The Killing Fields).

He can certainly play Recuerdos... and I'd guess that if he's tried that, he's probably also tried the Concierto de Aranjuez, and if he hasn't then it maybe won't come to him with too much difficulty. The question is whether he'd ever have the incentive to perform it; I'd imagine he'd be capable of doing a good job if he did.
Profile PM 
2 replies since Jan. 04 2003, 09:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net