Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike often announces his next project in advance< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 29 2002, 23:04

Mike often announces his next project while promoting his last release. I think it's pretty unusual, and perhaps not a very good idea on a marketing point of view.

He talked about Heaven's Open during Amarok interviews, about Guitars during the promotion of Tubular Bells III, about the re-recording of Tubular Bells when presenting Tres Lunas, and there are probably other examples.

I also wonder if this has an impact on his creative process, if he thinks of the next thing while doing the current one.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 29 2002, 23:25

It would seem to show that he has a very clear idea of where he's going next. Perhaps he has more planned out in advance than he used to. I would tend not to mention things too far in advance, as they're likely to change in any number of ways during their creation.

It would seem to me that with works like Guitars, he has the idea, executes it and moves on, without it evolving much from his original plan, ending up in something that's less developed than if he'd taken more time and allowed it to evolve organically.
Profile PM 
TheMan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 30 2002, 04:29

Quote (Korgscrew @ Aug. 29 2002, 23:25)
...he has the idea, executes it and moves on, without it evolving much from his original plan, ending up in something that's less developed than if he'd taken more time and allowed it to evolve organically.

Exactly, Korgscrew, and this is very unfortunate. There is this clear tendency the latest 5-6 years, of Mike not letting his ideas evolve enough. He has not 'lost it' as some people claim, because he still has the ability to come up with great thematic ideas, but as long as he do not use their full potential we are going to get more of these questionable albums.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 31 2002, 04:30

It's an interesting one,i'm not sure why he would do it,maybe as he is an idea's man,he always has somthing new in his head,we know he does'nt like to dwell on things for to long,and he does'nt like to dwell on the past either,so maybe it's just he likes to give his fans somthing else to look forward too,i mean we are always talking on this forum about what his next album will be like.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Aug. 29 2002, 23:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net