Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike in the Car, Whats your favorite Driving Album ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 07:10

At night i love SODE great for freeways and country roads alike
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 07:14

Incantations. Espceially parts 1 & 3 have a kind of driving "infinity" rhythm.
I don't think Tubular Bells would work that well in the car because it's too dynamic.
Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 07:33

The ones that don't have too many quiet patches (requiring tinkering with the volume and thus Transgressing the Highway Code) are best. "Runaway Son"... Guitars... Taurus 2 is great for driving. It also depends on environment. Not long ago I was driving through tropical far north Queensland, and Voyager suited the landscape very well (even though far north Queensland is anything but Celtic!;)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 07:57

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 19 2010, 07:33)
Not long ago I was driving through tropical far north Queensland, and Voyager suited the landscape very well (even though far north Queensland is anything but Celtic!;)

Nightspore - Tropical? - what does that look like?

I'm going to The Lakes District for easter break - it's known for it fells, pikes and Lake poets (Wordsworth and Coleridge), vast rolling hills, daffodils, rain and mist - it's got to be TBII :).

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 08:23

Quote (larstangmark @ Mar. 19 2010, 12:14)
Incantations. Espceially parts 1 & 3 have a kind of driving "infinity" rhythm.
I don't think Tubular Bells would work that well in the car because it's too dynamic.
Lars T

I don't have a car, but love listening to Incantations, Tres Lunas or Ommadawn on my pod when touring on my motorcycle.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 10:02

I go camping every year, and last year I brought along Tubular Bells. Parts of it worked very well, and other parts were rather annoying (the caveman section and a beautiful landscape do not work very well together). This year I'm bringing Hergest Ridge & Ommadawn. I'm sure they'll be perfect.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 10:18

Don't drive but i reckon Incantations would be good.I'd be a nightmare if i did drive cos i like to look at the scenery when i'm on the train and as i've usually had a wee smoke i get really into music on my iPod.In short i'd be death waiting to happen."Wow look at that mountain view......oh hang on.....where did the road go???OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 12:19

Funny thread!

For me, it's Earth Moving that is best in the car.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 12:19

Caveman - I am imagining your routine could be similar to the commuter guy in this song -  The Day Before You Came.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 14:24

Guitars is perfect for me while driving!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 15:47

@wiga

Just after MOTS came out I was in the Lake District and it seemed very natural to fit the different sections to the various lakes.  Each piece, and lake, has its own character and it was fun trying to match them up.  I can't remember the full list but these I can:

Silhouette = Rydal Water and Grasmere
Aurora = Wastwater
Harmonia Mundi = Elterwater
Empyrean = Derwent Water

I'd be interested in your take on this.  You've also made me want to revisit this wonderful part of the world!
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 16:57

Quote (The Thin Man @ Mar. 19 2010, 20:47)
@wiga

Just after MOTS came out I was in the Lake District and it seemed very natural to fit the different sections to the various lakes.  Each piece, and lake, has its own character and it was fun trying to match them up.  I can't remember the full list but these I can:

Aurora = Wastwater
Empyrean = Derwent Water

I'd be interested in your take on this.  You've also made me want to revisit this wonderful part of the world!

Looks like the Lake Distrinct is a popular place, more so for me as I have in-laws that live in Maryport, and travelling through the LD is a pleasure to behold, especially on a bike listening to Mike, and in particular the haunting Ommadawn.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 20:57

Quote (New Incantation @ Mar. 19 2010, 16:57)
Looks like the Lake Distrinct is a popular place,

I visited the Lake District, and found it pleasant enough - except that the people there seemed to be annoyingly smug, as though to say "ha ha - we live in the Lake District; wouldn't you like to too?" I actually prefer the Scottish lochs.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 21:00

Quote (wiga @ Mar. 19 2010, 07:57)

We're talking rainforest, Wiga, constant 30 degree Celsius + heat, high humidity, and long winding roads through the mountains where you can see a coastline dotted with mangrove swamps!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 19 2010, 22:58

As a non-driver yet avid roadtrip enthusiast, I can say Tubular Bells, Crises and Amarok (yes!! ) have worked extremely well. Crises seems to be best fitting for a night environment.

Also, NEU! '75, by NEU!.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 04:50

Quote (The Thin Man @ Mar. 19 2010, 15:47)
@wiga

Aurora = Wastwater
Empyrean = Derwent Water

The Thin Man - I like that game - I will try it! I'm going to Ullswater which is 7 miles long, and driving the full lengh of that to "Musica Universalis" might fit. Two easters ago I was playing MoTS on the Northumberland coast, near Holy Island, and it suited the mood there too.

New Incantation - great place for bikers :cool:.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 05:20

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 19 2010, 22:58)
Also, NEU! '75, by NEU!.

Incantations has a little bit of the "motorik" beat!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 05:44

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 19 2010, 21:00)
Quote (wiga @ Mar. 19 2010, 07:57)

We're talking rainforest, Wiga, constant 30 degree Celsius + heat, high humidity, and long winding roads through the mountains where you can see a coastline dotted with mangrove swamps!

Nightspore - so you're talking about the Great Barrier Reef area then, wow, now that's a holiday of a lifetime stuff for us over here - not just a ramble on dale and hill. What's that like, I can't visualise it, do you get high humidity right up to the coast, and is it a combination of beautiful beaches, coral, swamps, tropical forests, high rainfall, and what does that smell like as well...?

Talking of the Scottish Highlands I'd go up there more often if it didn't take so long, although it's no distance compared to the Australian journeys. It doesn't surprise me that you might have picked up on some smugness, perhaps from hoteliers, when you holidayed here. You can get some of that. Funnily enough I don't think you get that in Scotland - down to earth, take you at face value, no airs and graces, which kind of reflects the landscape - unpretentious, vast, rugged powerful, wild, stark, naked, unyielding and yielding....( got my Coleridge head on.. :/ )

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 06:41

Quote (wiga @ Mar. 20 2010, 05:44)
Nightspore - so you're talking about the Great Barrier Reef area then, wow, now that's a holiday of a lifetime stuff for us over here - not just a ramble on dale and hill. What's that like, I can't visualise it, do you get high humidity right up to the coast, and is it a combination of beautiful beaches, coral, swamps, tropical forests, high rainfall, and what does that smell like as well...?

Hi Wiga, yes, that's a pretty accurate description. The Great Barrier Reef is more in the vicinity of Mackay, though, and my holidays have tended to be much farther north: Townsville, Cairns, Cooktown. Northwest Australia is pretty much the same, but harder to get to. A stretch between Derby and Kalumburu is almost untouched by western feet! Somehow when the air has that high humidity everything seems strangely more alive and real - the sort of feeling you get, in fact, when you hear a part of Amarok or (name your favourite MO work) and it's as though he's letting you in on some beautiful but poignantly sad secret of the universe.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 08:20

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 19 2010, 22:58)
As a non-driver yet avid roadtrip enthusiast, I can say Tubular Bells, Crises and Amarok (yes!! ) have worked extremely well. Crises seems to be best fitting for a night environment.

Also, NEU! '75, by NEU!.

Unfortunately, when you are in the driver's seat too much of Amarok gets lost in background/road noise.
Profile PM 
37 replies since Mar. 19 2010, 07:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net