Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike in the Car, Whats your favorite Driving Album ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 14:19

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 20 2010, 02:58)
Also, NEU! '75, by NEU!.

...especially Hallogallo  :cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 15:57

mustapha can't drive,  oh tee hee hee.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 18:35

I've a fond memory of driving to a country beach in Victoria one night called Seaspray .
drove right up to the waters edge , laying on the bonnet and stargazing with Antartica by Vangelis playing away not MO but worth a mention and Caveman their was a wee bit of that too :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 20:33

Quote (milamber @ Mar. 20 2010, 18:35)
but worth a mention and Caveman their was a wee bit of that too :D

You're not saying you listened to the W-----s too? Good grief; still I suppose quite a few adults must like them but are usually too embarrassed to say so!  :O
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2010, 21:30

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 20 2010, 14:19)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 20 2010, 02:58)
Also, NEU! '75, by NEU!.

...especially Hallogallo  :cool:

You can say that again!

Unfortunately, there aren't many other tracks in that album that seem fit for driving. NEU! '75, though, is pretty much perfect; even the meditative quietness of Leb' Wohl seems to fit.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2010, 11:15

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 20 2010, 20:33)

You're not saying you listened to the W-----s too? Good grief; still I suppose quite a few adults must like them but are usually too embarrassed to say so!  :O

See now Nightspore me old mate i really am beginning to think you are obsessed with the W's.No-one had even got close to mentioning them on this thread.The "Wee bit" referred to the use of a certain herb.If you can associate that with the Wiggles then you really do need to seek help.Come to think of it it may make them a bit more bearable in the short term but i haven't had the displeasure of listening to them for a good 10 years.You,however,seem to have a more recent aquantance with them.So i wonder how is it you know so much more about them than a person with a passing 'interest'?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2010, 18:49

Having a 5 year old in the family, the CD selection can involve a certain amount of negotiation - and I have to admit that those damn Oz W......r's do sometimes get in there  :p Although it's mostly Lily Allen and Mika now.

I just did the Devon trip, 700 miles round trip and this time i took Amarok and Live Viareggio. Amarok has too many volume variations for my diesel car tho' too many subtle sections got lost. it's best left to dark solitary nights and headphones.

Viareggio was cool tho'. Especially the Simon Phillips solo - lots of steering wheel thumping at that point!

But my best journey with Oldfield music used to be the train ride from Exeter to Teignmouth along the river Exe estuary - exactly the same length as Crises, and "the Lake" fitted neatly too. The sun rising over the river, wading birds on the mud flats, small boats at moorings at those crescendos! I always went to work with a smile then.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2010, 19:19

I wonder why I haven't yet replied here. :) My on-the-road Mike favs are Tr3s Lunas and Light. The relaxing ones. Because they make me feel relaxed and not sleepy. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2010, 20:59

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 22 2010, 11:15)
Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 20 2010, 20:33)

See now Nightspore me old mate i really am beginning to think you are obsessed with the W's.No-one had even got close to mentioning them on this thread.The "Wee bit" referred to the use of a certain herb.If you can associate that with the Wiggles then you really do need to seek help.Come to think of it it may make them a bit more bearable in the short term but i haven't had the displeasure of listening to them for a good 10 years.You,however,seem to have a more recent aquantance with them.So i wonder how is it you know so much more about them than a person with a passing 'interest'?

Ha ha! I confess! I'm a closet Wiggles fan, and would love nothing better than to dress up in an orange Wiggles uniform and dance with Dorothy the Dinosaur!  :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2010, 21:02

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 22 2010, 19:19)
I wonder why I haven't yet replied here. :) My on-the-road Mike favs are Tr3s Lunas and Light. The relaxing ones. Because they make me feel relaxed and not sleepy. :)

For some reason my favourite driving MO records are two that I'm only "sort of" fond of outside the car: Guitars and Earth Moving. Ugo, it's a worry that you get sleepy in the car. Perhaps you should take Vicki with you to give a concerned meow if need be!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2010, 05:11

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 22 2010, 18:49)
But my best journey with Oldfield music used to be the train ride from Exeter to Teignmouth along the river Exe estuary - exactly the same length as Crises, and "the Lake" fitted neatly too. The sun rising over the river, wading birds on the mud flats, small boats at moorings at those crescendos! I always went to work with a smile then.

Absolutely agreed on that!One of the most beautiful parts of this whole country.But as you know i have a certain amount of bias towards south Devon and Exeter in particular.And giving it some thought The Lake would be perfect.I kind of associate Discovery as a whole with Exeter cos i bought it in Woolies in the Guildhall in summer 84.
 Only went to Teignmouth once or twice as a kid.More Dawlish and Dawlish Warren or Sandy Bay (as it will always be known in my family-Devon Cliffs just doesn't cut it!)The train as it goes along the top of Dawlish was always one i wanted to go on back when the trains where those bloody great 47 Class diesels (anorak alert guys!!!;).
Thanks for making me think happy thoughts on a drab morning. :laugh:

Oh and Nightspore.....Thank you for your frank and honest confession.I'm glad you felt you could share that with the world at large. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2010, 09:37

@ nightspore: I always carry Vicki with me (in her cage, as Italian law forbids to leave her free in the car) whenever I travel quite long distances, for example from where I live to where I teach. And she meows quite a bit during long journeys, so she's useful from that point of view. :) But my point is that I get bored very easily when I'm behind the wheel doing a long journey, and when I get bored I get sleepy. Those two records are the only ones (at least in M.O.'s discography) that keep me relaxed without boring me. When I'm driving, Incantations bores the sh*t out of me (for example), and HR and Ommadawn do too - they're just not on-the-road records, at least for me. Also, when I make long journeys I only listen to instrumental records - words distract me. The very few times I use my car for shorter distances, e.g. in the city (where I normally ride my Vespa), I don't play records at all. I listen to the radio.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: June 01 2010, 00:40

All of Incantations...

*looks at username*

ohhhh.... :p

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: June 01 2010, 05:48

Quote (Incantations @ June 01 2010, 15:40)
All of Incantations...

*looks at username*

ohhhh.... :p

Try the Exposed version great for freeways :D
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 02 2010, 12:32

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 20 2010, 12:20)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Mar. 19 2010, 22:58)
As a non-driver yet avid roadtrip enthusiast, I can say Tubular Bells, Crises and Amarok (yes!! ) have worked extremely well. Crises seems to be best fitting for a night environment.

Also, NEU! '75, by NEU!.

Unfortunately, when you are in the driver's seat too much of Amarok gets lost in background/road noise.

Amarok whilst driving, NOOOOOO WAY!!!! too distracting.

For me Tubular Bells is a great soundtrack for driving  op norf (translation- up north)  along the motorway to :cool:. Guitars is good for driving to, and also I had Incantations blasting   out when driving along the A44 down to Herefordshire, (went well with the scenery) :cool:, just something quintessentially English about that, just like an Elgar composition  :cool: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 18:42

I've never really played much MO in the car (except the time I drove up to Hergest Ridge and played you-know-what on a car-cassette player - which shows how long ago that was) but recently found myself trying out Ommadawn which seemed to work quite well on the long stretches - but as ever town or city driving is too distracting. My main choice these days is a compilation of Rolling Stones tracks from the 70s and 80s I assembled myself which not surprisingly I christened "Roll Your Own" ... :cool:

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 00:49

Quote (Ghostmojo @ June 28 2010, 07:42)
My main choice these days is a compilation of Rolling Stones tracks from the 70s and 80s I assembled myself which not surprisingly I christened "Roll Your Own" ... :cool:

I've had one or two  "roll your owns"  over the years in the car , two or three tracks of favourite artists.
But my all time fave would have to be l/s - it has'nt left the car since its release.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 30 2010, 18:09

It changes a bit, but Incantations, of course, and also MotS, TSODE, Ommadawn, plus Tubular Bells. When I'm in the mood to drive and sing, then Discovery. My mood drives what I want to hear when I drive.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
37 replies since Mar. 19 2010, 07:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net