Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike DOES play piano on Musica Universalis..., ... or doesn't he?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 20 2008, 09:30

According to Wikipedia, Mike does play piano on Musica Universalis and on other tracks in Part Two of MotS. It's still unclear to me whether he does or not. If he doesn't, well, then the Wikipedia entry should be edited... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 28 2008, 16:57

Have a look at the following topic for that:

Orchestra, choir & Lang Lang on MotS, What/who/where are they?

Lang Lang has contributed to tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 and 9, so all the other ones should belong to the hands of Mike.

;)

Edited by manintherain on April 28 2008, 16:57
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 17:02

@ manintherain, yes, I know about that. It was one of my own topics. However, Korgscrew told me that he read somewhere (an interview?) that Lang Lang replaced all of Mike's piano playing. So, should I believe the official credits or should I believe Korgscrew? :D Who knows...

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 28 2008, 17:10

Alright, see for yourself:

LC Music Of The Spheres

Edited by manintherain on April 28 2008, 17:14
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 17:28

Thanks an awful lot... by the way, where the heck did you get this?? :D

However, you can see that, on the tracks where Lang Lang is not credited (like Musica Universalis), no-one is credited for the piano!! Yet one can clearly hear a piano in those tracks... did Mike ask Universal for his name to be removed from the credits as a piano performer? Maybe I (or you) should show this to Korgscrew... :p

Also, look at this: "Genre: Pop". Wasn't MotS supposed to be classical? :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 30 2008, 05:53

Quote (Ugo @ April 28 2008, 23:28)
However, you can see that, on the tracks where Lang Lang is not credited (like Musica Universalis), no-one is credited for the piano!!

And there is no mention of any guitars in this document either, so it seems evident that Mike was the one who was simply left out from the lists (intentionally or not).

Thanks, manintherain, interesting item!

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 30 2008, 06:20

Quote (manintherain @ April 28 2008, 22:10)

LC Music Of The Spheres

An interesting document, not seen one of those before. However I wonder how accurate it is. Is it just a cut and paste of the full orchestra with Hayley and Lang Lang added in where necessary? For instance I still don't see a harp listed anywhere and does "On my heart" have timps?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: April 30 2008, 10:44

Quote (manintherain @ April 28 2008, 17:10)

LC Music Of The Spheres

Strange document... It doesn't even give the song titles, so why would you trust its information?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 30 2008, 19:40

@ Matt: it is a cut & paste job... whoever compiled it was lazy enough (or careless enough?) to list the full orchestra on all songs, without caring about who actually plays on individual songs. "On my Heart" doesn't have any percussion (except for some cymbals at the very start), yet all of the six percussionists listed in the booklet are credited for it. So I agree with you on the fact that the document's reliability is questionable, to say the least. :D

@ Hillbilly: the song titles are actually included within the document. They're small, but they're there. :p

--------------
Profile PM 
8 replies since April 20 2008, 09:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net