Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike and Fairlight CMI< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2009, 00:30

He was still using the Series III up to at least Heaven's Open - I think his whole working practise revolved around it by then; he was using it as a kind of digital editing system (chopping things like vocals into bits and adjusting the timing and tuning) and I think still used the sequencer a fair amount, though it seems like he gradually moved across to the Atari for that. He was using an MFX2 system, which was a hard disk recording system based on the Series III architecture, as late as 1994 (presumably expanding on the kind of editing work he'd used the Series III for before that). He was also using a pair of Akai S-1100 samplers by the time he made Heaven's Open, so I'd go along with what Mat says about him moving everything across to those at around that time.

Crises was a bit early to have any DX7 on it - the DX7 was released in May 1983, around the same time as Crises (and so wouldn't have been available for the recording). There are a few bits on Islands which definitely stand out as being a DX7, but I'm not too sure about when he first got it. Foreign Affair is definitely the Fairlight though.

The Fairlight was used as his main sequencer, then used an Oberheim DSX to interface it to the OBX-a and DMX.

As for Simon Phillips...he's a robot.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 22 2009, 06:26

Just seen that they're going to bring back good ol' Fairlight CMI soon:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/08/01/fairlight-cmi-series-30a/

\o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ommaGeddon Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2009, 08:46

Wow – I thought the Fairlight was dead! I’m a little bit surprised that the Fairlight guy says it can’t be made exclusively in software. I would have thought surely it can easily be approximated – it would then be a lot cheaper too…
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2011, 07:30

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Nov. 22 2009, 12:26)
Just seen that they're going to bring back good ol' Fairlight CMI soon:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/08/01/fairlight-cmi-series-30a/

\o/

:)  ;) Tati ? ..It's done !!!

New Fairlight CMI 30 A

There will be a presentation at the next NAMM show for the 30th anniversary !

;)
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 04 2011, 20:07

Yeah, US$17,000 (and extra $2,000 for the musical keyboard too) is probably more than most people would pay for one just now given that a basic laptop with Reason or FLstudio software can do more than everything the Fairlight did.
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 04 2011, 20:18

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Jan. 05 2011, 01:07)
Yeah, US$17,000 (and extra $2,000 for the musical keyboard too) is probably more than most people would pay for one just now given that a basic laptop with Reason or FLstudio software can do more than everything the Fairlight did.

Very true,but for all those people who love the real stuff...and can afford...they should try and get one!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2011, 01:29

;) Yeah maybe softwares can do more but maybe this one from new generation can do even more than the first releases of the eighties .
Surely made for "rich" musicians ....

...i dream of Mike buys one to create and compose something new ...new and great !
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 05 2011, 06:27

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Jan. 05 2011, 06:29)
...i dream of Mike buys one to create and compose something new ...new and great !

I doubt if he would be interested in buying one of these new Fairlight...if he's still on this "more organic" thingie!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
bob Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 07:34

There is a bootleg around of just the Fairlight parts from the Viareggio concert in 1984 that makes very interesting listening
  Bob
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 12:42

I'll probably get the iPhone/iPad app myself (I've heard about it but not played with it yetas it's still in beta). Or you could get the Fairlight plug-in for Reason, which will soon be re-released in Kontakt format with additional patches.

I have used a proper Fairlight (series IIx and series III) and it made me realise (a) how much computer software for music has come on since the early 1980s, and (b) how much of what you hear needs effects (particularly reverb) to make it breathe. The latter is also true of many analogue synths in my experience, we get used to effects being built in now.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 14:01

:) Yeah ! i'm waiting for this release of Kontakt as i like this free player !

The library nki file of Fairlight will probably cost 80 € .

http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/kontakt/

http://www.gearslutz.com/board....ct.html

EDIT : Sorry ! Not 80 € but 80 $

:D Edit again : ...in fact i can get it for 63 €
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2011, 15:42

:) Yup ! I'm downloading the files right now ! Fanny my lovely "accountant" has given me the green light ! :D
Profile PM 
Sweep Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2011, 20:08

Regarding the new Fairlight, the 30A, and software:

I don't work for Fairlight, but some of this is fairly public (and some of it isn't :D -

The original business plan, as I understand it, was to build a limited number of 30As - about a hundred of them only - and then focus on a computer soundcard. This is to be rather an expensive soundcard having all the facilities of the 30A, I believe.

However, I certainly wouldn't give up hope of there being a software emulation of the Fairlight - an excellent one. I think that's all I can say at this point. It's early days, but it looks interesting.

--------------
Website@: http://www.musicbysweep.com
Twitter: sweep1

Bradnor Hill (in memory of David Bedford): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeATjaMCgA
Profile PM WEB 
32 replies since Mar. 14 2009, 14:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net