Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MIDI Keyboard play, From Keyboard to PC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Daddybird Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 18 2005, 17:13

I've got a keyboard and I just discovered it's got MIDI in, out and through, so now I should be able to play into Cubase and finally make music like it's used to be...right?
But now I need a MIDI-Interface cable, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the shops, so anyone got a suggestion where I can find it? It's from MIDI-in and out to my gameport on my PC.

PS. Does it work well with Cubase>? Cubase sais it's 'made' for it, so I hope it isn't for nothing.

Thanx. :)

Ohyeah, I forgot, Is there also something like that for my electric guitar? From directly my guitar or the amplifier?

And....;) Playing acoustic guitar through a GOOD mic....Can you achieve a good sound then? I like adding it with my Keyplayings.....I now got a bad mic, and it's terrible, so are there some good mics for PC input to use?
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 18 2005, 23:50

I've got a keyboard and I just discovered it's got MIDI in, out and through, so now I should be able to play into Cubase and finally make music like it's used to be...right?
But now I need a MIDI-Interface cable, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the shops, so anyone got a suggestion where I can find it? It's from MIDI-in and out to my gameport on my PC.

You'll need to ask for midi cables that hook up to a sound card's gameport. For me I couldn't find them in a computer store I had to get it at a regular music store.

PS. Does it work well with Cubase>? Cubase sais it's 'made' for it, so I hope it isn't for nothing.

It should if it supports MIDI. I really don't know, though. But I imagine it does. If it doesn't there are plenty of free programs on the internet you can get that do support it.

Ohyeah, I forgot, Is there also something like that for my electric guitar? From directly my guitar or the amplifier?

All you need is a regular cable that will plug into your amplifier or electric guitar and get a headphone-sized adapter that you can plug the other end into and plug that into your 'line' or 'mic' inputs on your sound card. These adapters you can find in computer stores like Radio Shack etc. A note; "Line In" records stereo while "Mic In" records mono, however so whatch out for that if you're using stereo effects...which you probably won't be if you don't have an effects pedal that does stereo effects.

And....;) Playing acoustic guitar through a GOOD mic....Can you achieve a good sound then? I like adding it with my Keyplayings.....I now got a bad mic, and it's terrible, so are there some good mics for PC input to use?

Now this is where I'm not sure of an answer. In order to get good quality it depends not only on what kind of mic you use but also how you record it...ie- distance and position of the mic from the guitar, the acoustic sound of the room you're recording in etc. Like if it's echoy in a room it could hamper quality...Korgscrew or someone else might have more information for you here.

Hope I helped.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 03:34

If I'm not mistaken, Cubase will support any MIDI device which is available to Windows (it's about 5 years since I used it on a Windows system). I've certainly seen it used together with gameport cables in the past.

If none of your local music shops have the cable, you can order one from Thomann in Germany.

Plugging guitars into the computer is best done via a multieffects unit with a low impedance output - passive electric guitars are high impedance (impedance being the AC equivalent of resistance, in case you're wondering), so lose high frequencies and don't sound so good when plugged into a low impedance mic/line input. A DI (direct injection) box is what's commonly used professionally to convert the impedance, but the multieffects box will do the same job, and is something you're more likely to have (or more likely to want to buy). Using the line output from a guitar amp would also do the same thing.

There certainly are good mics which you could use for recording into your PC - it depends how much you want to spend...
I'd recommend a microphone like the Rode NT3 - it's a professional condenser microphone that's capable of being battery powered (most condenser microphones need power from the mic preamp), so it would be possible to use it together with your soundcard using nothing more than the right cable. That wouldn't provide the best quality (and depending on the specs of your soundcard, you might not be able to get a particularly good level either - that would depend on how much gain the mic amp provides. You might also find that the soundcard's built in mic amp is rather noisy at higher gain settings).
Buying a separate mic preamp would give higher quality, and more choice of microphones (though the NT3 is still a good choice), but at a higher price!
It is definitely possible to achieve good recordings that way, though - using a mic is always my preferred choice for acoustic guitars, unless I want to achieve a particular effect which can only be achieved by using a pickup (the sound of a pickup and mic mixed together can be interesting, for example, when panned to opposite sides).
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 03:59

Thank you very much for your replies. :)  I've had much help.
So, the MIDI question isn't a problem, just get that cable, but getting my guitars recorded well is more (costy) a problem, A DI box should be a great idea, if the price isn't too high (I'm just a student). And a good mic for my acoustic guitar and maybe my drumkit. I got alot of instruments to play with and I think now is the time to record them, cause I'm getting better with playing and want to compose a perfect song. :)
Thanx, I'll have alook today.
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 08:43

Dammit, went for a search today with a friend, we couldn't find anything! By a musicstore it was sold out and other shops didn't have any MIDI! So I will have to order it from the net.

PS. The musicstore did have the converter for my guitar to the PC, it costs 60euros.... :O
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 12:36

I have a Rode NT3, and love it muchly.

I use Cubase for Windows, and connect my keyboard and guitar synthesiser with midi cables. No problem there. Just make sure to read the Cubase and soundcard manuals and help files.

For recording your guitar, Korgscrew's advice is best (as it usually tends to be). I prefer just sticking a mic in front of my amp. The NT3 does a good job for me when I keep it about a foot back from the speakers.

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 12:42

Quote (ktran @ Jan. 19 2005, 12:36)
I have a Rode NT3, and love it muchly.

I use Cubase for Windows, and connect my keyboard and guitar synthesiser with midi cables. No problem there. Just make sure to read the Cubase and soundcard manuals and help files.

For recording your guitar, Korgscrew's advice is best (as it usually tends to be). I prefer just sticking a mic in front of my amp. The NT3 does a good job for me when I keep it about a foot back from the speakers.

rgds,

Thanx for your reply, I will try recording my guitar sounds with a good mic about a foot from the amp.

I've ordered a MIDI-cable (gameport) from Ebay, so I'll be having it in a week or so.
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 12:56

alternatively, you can also record the line-out/headphone out of your keyboard straight into the line-in of your soundcard, which gives you an audio recording, instead of a midi recording. This is preferable for me if the sound source (keyboard/synth) has a really good sound, and I don't need to have the data in midi format.

different people have different philosophies for amp cabinet miking. some like to put mics right up to the speaker (but don't do that with a consdenser like the NT3, they're sensitive and you can damage it!;), some like different angles, etc. It depends on the results you get, and what you like. and you won't know what you like until you try it and discover what you don't like.

k

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 05:27

Thank you for your reply, I'm gettin a mic cable today so I can at least record my playings into Cubase. Maybe a different store here has a MIDI cable.....but my money's gone too. :(
I would like to share our experiances later on with recording, playing, Cubase, etc. in the future! :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 09:57

In advising on options for direct recording, I'd forgotten to suggest recording electric guitars using a mic.

I would agree with ktran though, it's definitely a good way to do it, if you're happy with the sound you get from your amp already. It depends on the kind of sound you want, of course - sometimes plugging in direct will give a better sound (like if you want a really crystal clear clean sound like Mike uses - that's better achieved by recording direct).

Some condensers can be put close to guitar amps - it depends on the mic and how loud the amp is. The biggest concern would be that the circuitry inside them can distort if the sound level reaching them is too high. They often have a 'pad' switch to help stop that (it normally reduces the level by 10dB or so).
Condenser microphones are more sensitive at the high end than dynamic (especially moving coil dynamic) mics, which is something to consider when miking up guitar amps - in certain positions, the sound picked up from the mic will be exaggeratedly fizzy sounding. Condensers tend to sound better when used at a distance from the amp, but experiment and see which position you prefer.
Sometimes I find that it needs two microphones to capture the sound I want - that's usually when the room acoustics are contributing to the feel of the sound.

My own methods of recording synthesisers depend on what kind of music I'm doing. If I'm recording something that's mostly acoustic based, I'll quite often just play the synth parts in direct to an audio track, in the way that ktran suggests. I like the straightforwardness of that approach.
I find that for more overtly electronic styles, though, that it works better to have the parts sequenced - often such styles seem to need at least a few of the parts to be quanties to achieve the right feel (that would be, a less natural feel). I could talk about this a lot more, as I tend to have lots of different approaches depending on exactly what I'm recording, and what state the ideas are in when I'm doing that...I'll leave it at that for now, though.
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 12:08

Thanx for your reply Korgscew, Much help.

But I found a MIDI-cable for the gameport, but the problem is it doesnt work! Cubase does nothing, well really NOTHING happens at all.....I've got a cheap Casio keyboard (with MIDI) but I dont think thats the problem, its in the PC I guess, but can someone help me out?
I got MPU-401 for MIDI input thats ok right?
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 13:13

Really, this is where the manuals are best, but a couple of pointers:

Make sure your the "in" cable is connected to your keyboard's "out" port, and that your "out" cable is connected to your keyboard's "in" port.

The forums at cubase.net tend to be pretty good. Do searches there, and if you can't find help that way, you can ask for it. Ask politely though.

k

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Daddybird Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 13:50

Thanx, I tried it and now it works! :D

The only problem is the delay, so it's abit hard to play add riffs when one MIDI is playing....
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 10:26

Two things would help with that delay (assuming that you're monitoring the sound via your soundcard). The first is getting an ASIO driver for your soundcard - that should help give a lower latency (delay), if you don't have an ASIO driver already. The second is changing the audio buffer settings (you'd have to look in the cubase manual to find out where that's set) - lower numbers give lower latency (the options are given in the number of samples, usually 128, 256, 512, 1024 and 2048, though sometimes the figures at the two extremes aren't present), but they also need greater processor power. Set the buffer size too low and you may find that the audio starts to break up (most likely to happen if you have lots of audio tracks or softsynths, or other processor-hungry plugins active). If you're recording mostly MIDI tracks though, you should have no problems with the lowest buffer size.
Profile PM 
13 replies since Jan. 18 2005, 17:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net