Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Middle Earth (JRR Tolkien's world)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
asvald Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 10 2000, 04:18

Hi,

I was about 10 when I both discovered Mike's music and the world of Middle Earth, the background of JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I'm 28 now and still a big fan of these two guys and their work. 8-B

So you can imagine how excited I was when I happened to read some years ago that there was an album inspired by Tolkien's world.
This album was supposedly attributed to Mike's wife(?) but Mike himself would have composed its music.
I think the name is 'Songs of Middle Earth' but by now I perhaps got it wrong and confused with TSODE.
Someone told me long time ago he found the album in England but unfortunately we lost each other.
I first thought the so-called 'wife' was in fact his sister Sally but found no such album in her discography.

I know I don't give much clues but...  if you could help me on this subject you would make a fan happy =). I'm looking for :
- exact album title
- entitled artist and her relation to Mike
- year of release and company
- your opinion about this album if you ever heard it
- any bit of info to help me finding it.

Please mail me, I don't think I'll be able to chek this forum very often (-removed for privacy-).

Thanks a lot ! =)
Profile PM 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2000, 00:35

"The Songs Of Distant Earth" by Mike Oldfield is based on Arthur C. Clarke's novel of the same name and is in no way related to J.R.R. Tolkien's work.

Mike has not been involved in any project to do with "Lord Of The Rings" or J.R.R. Tolkien.

I don't know about Anita Hegerland though. She is Mikes ex-wife and is still a recording artist. Maybe she has recorded a Tolkien inspired album, I dunno.

But Mike hasn't. Pity really. I think it'd be great if he could do the soundtrack to the new "Lord Of The Rings" movie.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 11 2000, 16:21

Yes, that would be great.
I always felt JRRT and MO are closely related in the way they can create strange, spooky atmospheres. And there's a 'Glorfindel Guitar' on Amarok! (See that topic...)

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
asvald Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2000, 01:27

Yeah I know TSODE is from a book from Arthur C Clarke and what I'm looking for has nothing to do with this record.
Btw, are you sure he never did anything related with Tolkien's work ?

Ahh, I hope you're wrong, not to have any doubts upon your knowledge, but I dreamt about it for sooo long now...

Thanks for your help anyway.

About this topic, I think that would be great to have Mike working on an accoustic record with this mood, only with medievial fantasy 'sounding' instruments... Elfic music would definitely be worth him.

Seeya...
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2000, 12:39

bennyboy and Carstenkuss forgot one thing. wink Once there was a poll on The Lord of The Rings movie website, where people could choose who could compose the music for the movie, and Mike Oldfield was included there. So, asvald, I hope I can help you with that? smile

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
asvald Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2001, 20:18

Alas...

We now know MO won't be doing this soundtrack... too bad.
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2001, 07:13

This might interest you. A year or two ago, Blind Guardian (the heavy metal band that did a cover of "To France") did an album inspired by Tolkien. I think it was called "Nightfall in Middle Earth". I haven't heard anyhting from that particular album but I think BG are a pretty good band.
Profile PM 
Cipher Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2001, 07:33

Well, good news here. Already exists a whole album about LOTR. I own it, and each song is an important chapter(s) of the book. There's no songs, only instrumental music. It's a very good album, really. Now, I don't remember the composer, because I own the album in vynil and my vynil player doesn't work anymore. It commited suicide 7 years ago. From then all my vynil albums are waiting a new player...
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2001, 08:40

That's Bo Hansson.
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2001, 07:22

Oh, Does exists it on CD?
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 05 2001, 15:26

There is a musician from Austria who calls himself GANDALF. He has made a double CD VISIONS 2001 (Columbia 501074-2). One CD is completely 'inspired by LOTR'.
He plays the solo guitar very similarly to Mike, IMO. Well, many tracks are pretty new-agey, which I don't like so much. But to fans, it might be worth it...

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2001, 18:26

Cipher, AFAIK it does, but I've got it on vinyl, so unfortunately I can't give you any information about the CD.
Profile PM WEB 
liron Offline

Posted: Feb. 10 2001, 11:29

well i think i have the solution to the big mystery. what you are refering to ,asvald, is indeed an album of sally oldfield (and not by a legendary wife. i really doubt the the musical skills, if any, of anita hegerland. especially in such an ambitious working title as "lord of the rings"). anyway, the album you are talking about is named "water bearer" (i can't really remember if the title is written as one word). it isn't really an album that's supposed to depict the whole "lord of the rings" book. rather, it is influenced by the writings of JRRT, including the Silmarilion. some of the songs bare names that point to JRRT, like "Songs Of The Quendi", but it also has other songs in it which i persume are'nt that connected to JRRT ("mirrors" for example, which was her first hit single, i think). mike does'nt appear anywhere on the record. and apart of that... i think the album as a whole is a bit kitchy, and sometimes tend to go into the over switness.

hope i've been helpful to you.

liron.
Profile PM 
asvald Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2001, 05:06

Well, I thought this thread was dropped dead, but we still have some news about this. Perhaps some other surprises may come still. =)

Thanx a lot, I'll try to lend some ear to the discs you all mentionned, though I really doubt I'll appreciate the heavy metal ones. ;-)
By the way, I heard of a lot of hard rock or similar kind of bands which are fascinated byt TLotR, I sometimes wonder why : their music seems so far away from what Tolkien evocates for me...
Go figure !

seeya
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2001, 09:52

Rather, go out and find the Hawkwind album that covers the story of Michael Moorcock's "Elric" series. Great stuff.

Hmm...I think it's time to re-read the Elric series...

(edited to change "Hawkmoon" to "Hawkwind"....DUH)
Profile PM WEB 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2005, 04:03

Quote (CarstenKuss @ Dec. 11 2000, 16:21)
And there's a 'Glorfindel Guitar' on Amarok! (See that topic...)

There is also a Glorfindel Guitar on Tubular Bells.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2005, 18:33

...Also not to be forgotten is Tim Highfield's excellent (IMHO) Oldfield/LOTR parody called "Lord of the Bells", scattered somewhere among these forums... or fora? :)

Edit - @ Asvald: I think Liron up here gave the best solution to this Tolkien enigma. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
16 replies since Dec. 10 2000, 04:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net