Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: members city, what face do your tubular city have?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
New World Man Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 30 2007, 06:22

Quote (Silver Negus @ Nov. 29 2007, 19:06)
I live in a nice village in Hampshire, UK. Lovely in the summer.

Which Village then SN ??

I live in Wakefield in West Yorkshire (between Sheffield & Leeds).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakefield

Famous for being the city of origin of the nursery rhymes:
"The grand old duke of York" and "here we go round the Mulberry Bush"

Famous musicians from Wakefield include:
Jane McDonald
The Cribs
Tim Booth (front man of "James")

AND of course the home city of the one and only Mad Cow (and forum member) herself: Caroline Monk!!

This is a picture of Pugneys Lake with Sandal Castle in the distance (the "hill" mentioned in "The Grand of Duke of York").

I actually live just the other side of the castle towards the city centre - just to the right of the Asda superstore!!  :O

--------------
Life is a spiral, time is a curve
I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve...
Profile PM 
Ciderginaspro Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2008, 06:59

I'm from Jalhay, a small place in Belgium.
Is there anybody from Belgium here ?

http://www.tourismejalhaysart.be/
:p
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2008, 16:54

Quote (Harmono @ Aug. 30 2006, 17:17)
Quote (hiawatha @ Aug. 30 2006, 16:17)
Looks very crowded. Who is the cartoon girl in the upper right?

She is Milla, Mjölby`s web assistant. you can ask her stuf about Mjölby and she will answer.
I`m just bragging with my Swedish skills, I had Swedish at school today :D
dont tell me Im wrong larstangmark. Dont tell me she is actually from Borneo and doesnt know anything about the place. Looks nice by the way.

You're absolutely right! Sorry for the late answer.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2008, 19:11

Quote (Ciderginaspro @ Jan. 06 2008, 06:59)
I'm from Jalhay, a small place in Belgium.
Is there anybody from Belgium here ?

http://www.tourismejalhaysart.be/
:p

Not too small to have an office of tourism! It looks like a charming place and it's well represented by the website and it's lovely photos. I found the font used for the navigation buttons quite attractive, as well, and I was only slightly disappointed when, all a-quiver, I clicked on what appeared to be a link to 'Cultural Fruitcake' but ended up with "Cultural Heritage", instead. That's the risk one runs with fancy fonts! Still, I'm very glad I explored the site and I'm now feeling a little envious of you, Ciderginaspro.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 14:42

Hi.I live in Banbury in Oxfordshire.The most unremarkable town ever.Yes it has the cross in the nursery rhyme but that's it.It is,however, not too far from The Manor so i've done that particaular pilgrimage a few times (the view from the gate's impressive)and  of course i've had a few pints of Guinness at the Jolly Boatman (source of the Guinness consumed during the making of TB).Anyone else from near here?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 20 2008, 17:49

Which nursery rhyme is that, Caveman?

It's April 20th and it's currently snowing in Western Washington State.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 20 2008, 22:14

Born in Nice, France. From my balcony:

Lived 8 years in Montréal, Canada.

Now living in paradisiac San Diego, California, which is like Nice with Mexican instead of Italians.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 21 2008, 09:15

Hey Sweatpea.We had snow a couple of weeekends ago and i believe in snowed oop north (can you tell i'm a southerner?)last week.But a British snow is like a slight flurry by northern USA standards.What's happening to our weather????
 Anyhoo the nursery rhyme is as follows.....

Ride a cock horse* to Banbury Cross
Too see a fine lady upon a white horse
With rings on her fingers
And bells on her toes
She shall have music wherever she goes

*Stop sniggering.A cock horse is another name for a hobby horse.Basically a stick with a couple of little wheels at the bottom end and a horse head at the other.

Nice little rhyme for a town famous for this and cakes.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 22 2008, 14:57

Olivier, that Nice shot must be recent, I think. That little car looks like a Smart Fortwo. I love the tubular signage on the Montreal music shop. The thing I associate with San Diego is "Three's Company". The only part of California I've visited is the Anaheim (Disneyland! ) area.

Caveman, as far as I know, my current city - Puyallup - has never been immortalized in verse, though it enjoys local fame for hosting the annual Western Washington State Fair. My previous city - Tacoma - made an appearance in Steve Miller's "Rock'n Me" (1976).

Seattle, our sister city up north, hoards all the limelight.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 23 2008, 06:54

Trust me,apart from a nursery rhyme and the famous Banbury Cakes there's nothing at all special about Banbury.Hugely dull place.I prefer Oxford about 25 miles up the road.Much nicer and with good coffee shops,the wonderful Borders book shop and generally more interesting all round!
 Tacoma are a guitar company.I wonder if they're from there?Probably Korean come to think of it  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 25 2008, 01:08

I didn't know about the guitar company, Caveman, but I know that Toyota named one of their truck models after Tacoma. Take that, Seattle.

And what sort of cakes are these from Banbury??

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 25 2008, 04:44

Wierd things.Currants/Raisins and other stuff (like the filling for mince pies really)in flakey pastry.Not as bad as they sound but not great.Never understood it.I guess you have to have been born and raised here. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 17:02

I live in the north east of England in the market town of Chester-Le-Street.It`s also the place I was born way back in ancient times(the 60`s)And apart from a number of years during the 70`s when I moved around the country a bit due to my dad`s work.I`ve lived here for most of my life.It`s a fairly typical quite dull little place really,but I can`t imagine myself living anywhere else now,I love it.The town was founded by the Romans around 979a.d. I think(bugger it should`ve done some research here.)And it was also the resting place for St.Cuthbert for a while before he finished up at Durham which is some 6/7 miles down the road from me here.There`s a little bit of history of that still evident in and around the town today in fact.Both in the town`s quite splendid church,and the remains of Finchale Priory just a couple of miles away.

One of the great things about living here though is it`s central location to the many delights this region has to offer imo.Both the cities of Newcastle and Durham are very short drives away.Whilst beyond that in both directions are the contrasting and magnificent landscapes of both Teesdale/High Force to the south.And Northumbria to the north of course.Oh and it`s only 20 minutes to the beach,whenever Mr Sunshine should decide to put in a rare appearence.

I think a lot of people still have this image of the area as being some kind or run-down industrial backwater or something.Well whilst a lot of the people here are still very proud of their heritage,and to some extent that whole culture has still yet to fade.All of the collierys and shipyards are for the most part but a distant memory now.Besides which it`s a lot easier driving around the place than it is in some of the urban and suburban sprawls to the south of the country.I honestly don`t know how some of you guys put up with it down there?I guess that whole "southern softies" thing must just be a myth right?

There are a few quite nice little walks,and wooded/moorland hideaways in and around the town.Most notably down by the riverside,along from where the county cricket ground is now located.And just a short amble from my back door is this odd little earth sculpture of The Lambton Worm pictured below.The second picture is of my dog Sally who loves to go down there chasing after the kids,and splashing about in the little water pools.Or breaking through the ice as she was doing on that particular day.That`s my eldest son Daniel just off in the distance there.Probably trying to get her attention and failing miserably heh heh.

Seeing those sun drenched and wonderfuly exotic images posted by Olivier here though.I`m so bloomin` jealous I could spit.  ;)  It`s never stopped raining all bloody day man.What a sickener!  :D
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 18:09

I visited San Diego last year with my family, it was smashin. :)

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 18:44

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 27 2008, 23:02)
Whilst beyond that in both directions are the contrasting and magnificent landscapes of both Teesdale/High Force to the south.And Northumbria to the north of course.

From what I've seen in pictures, there's magnificent landscapes indeed. I'd love to visit such places in England, and I will. There's many old castles there as well?

The Lambton Worm

That Penshaw Monument looks nice too, like a miniature Acropolis of Athens.

By the way, I should know this by now, but how do you people hide URLs so that they don't show in links, is it magic?

There's really nothing to tell about this small town where I've lived for a few years now.
Most people just work for Nokia making mobile phones or in some other boring factories. Houses here are so ugly, if it was possible I'd rather stay in all day so I wouldn't have to look at them. I really dislike functionalism in architecture, yuck. All the lights go out at ten pm or earlier and people look really bored all the time. However, when I move back to Helsinki, I'll gladly tell something about that nice city.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 20:45

Oh there`s some great castles up on the Northumbrian coast. I wish I had more time to get up there myself of late.Plus with the cost of fuel in this country nowadays I`ve got to budget my trips to the supermarket it`s getting that ridiculous.Bamburgh castle,Holy Island and Dunstanburgh are all "must see`s" though if you ever find yourself up there one day.I`m sure you`d love it.

Penshaw monument is just a couple of miles from where I live.Yes it is based on some sort of mini-acropolis design like you say.My local history on it is a bit vague,but I think it was built as some kind of  Victorian "folly" for one of the local Lambton lords or something.There`s a nice little nature park up there now as well,built on the old coalfields rather ironicaly.Couple of small lakes,people on horseback,an ampitheatre etc,.Makes a very pleasent day out walking the dog up there.

The whole "hiding url`s" thing.All I do is copy and paste my address link into the little scripted window box that appears after you`ve clicked on the tab.Click on "OK". And then type in whatever I feel that suits that link into the second box that appears immediatly after.And then click on "OK" again...That`s probablly about as clear as mud I guess,I apologise.Maybe somebody out there can explain it better than I can?..I hope!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: April 27 2008, 22:56

Dirk, I expect your quick & dirty description did the job, but how can I resist a listmaking opportunity?
  • Click the 'http://' button
  • Paste your URL into the window that pops up and click 'ok'
  • Now type in a description (this will become the text for the link) and click 'ok'
Et voilà, you have hypertext.

--------------
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 07:11

Thanks!
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 07:25

I live in the lovely and quiet city of Perth, Western Australia. Actually, I live in a suburb about half-an-hour from the city itself. Here's a very nice image taken from King's Park showing the city centre and the Swan river.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 09:39

Quote (Harmono @ April 28 2008, 07:11)
Thanks!

:laugh: Nice one.It was no problem at all.
Profile PM 
60 replies since Aug. 26 2006, 09:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net