Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: medley of 1st 3 albums, and a couple of original instrumentals< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
RichardT Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 20 2002, 18:01

I picked out my favorite parts of the first three albums, rearranged some a good bit. (no midi) Originally, I was just going to jam over the chord changes from the last of side one of Hergest Ridge, sleighbells to the choir. I still marvel at that killer progression.
Anyhow, it grew to a 13 minute tribute. For those with lots of time or a fast connection, here's the whole enchilada:
http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/RichardT/Oldfield%20Variations16.mp3 14.9 MB
For the rest, I divided it into 3 parts:
http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/RichardT/OldfieldVariationsPart1.mp3 4.6 MB
http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/RichardT/OldfieldVariationsPart2.mp3 5.6 MB
http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/RichardT/OldfieldVariationsPart3.mp3 4.9 MB
My latest is sort of a chase scene soundtrack. It has a 30 second intro with a dreamy quality, might evoke a peaceful planet. (all guitars, no synths) Then, on the horizon, here comes the Borg-like invaders, and the space-rock boogie begins:
http://users.myexcel.com/rhtson/SciFiBadGuy.mp3 5.9 MB
And, while I've got ya, here's my first one. A Satriani-like shuffle:
http://www.onlinerock.com/musicia....uss.mp3  6.3 MB

Haven't been here in a while. Nice new forum! I'll be listening too.
Richard
Profile PM WEB 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2002, 10:52

Really nice track, congrats !

BTW: does "Oldfield Variations16" mean that there are 15 others or is it just for 16(0) kbps ?

ciaooo,

dkay

:)

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
RichardT Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2002, 12:08

Thanks Dkaycom,
It's referring to the bits. Guess I should rename the file.
16 others? Be nice to have the time. When I was arranging this, one of the challenges was keeping the sections short. A big part of those 1st 3 albums was long, gradual developments.   The other challenge, of course, was learning and playing the parts. It really gave me even more appreciation of Mike's talent.
Richard
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 25 2002, 10:44

wow a very nice track, Richard! i like the idea u made for the beginning of Hergest Ridge Part 2.

thats goin in my collection.....

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
RichardT Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2002, 16:24

Thanks M I, very much appreciated.
RT
Profile PM WEB 
akane Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2002, 10:20

just listened to your audio file right now
I Love it. Very interesting, the way you made it. Lots of great tunes that fit together, and nice guitar sound.

What synth or module do you use for the drums ?

--------------
Blue Haired Akané
Profile PM WEB 
RichardT Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2002, 16:41

Thanks Akane,
A combination of drum software was used.
 The first and last sections were samples I found on the web, searching for African/Caribbean drums, and a loop or two ripped from Jan Hammer's First Seven Days album. Ntrack- my multitrack recording software, Acid, and CoolEdit were used to sequence the samples.
 The end of TB part used an Acid loop, Goatskin Groove, and the Acid software was used throughout to adjust tempos.   The shuffle beat was based on Jeff Beck's Freeway Jam. For that beat and the end of part one of Hergest Ridge part, I used Hammerhead drum software: http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/introduction.shtml It's free, limited compared to others like fruity loops, and comes with a lot of hip hop sounds. But you can substitute your own drum shots.
 I can post links to a few drum sample sites if anyone is interested.
I'm glad you liked it. Thanks again,
Richard
Profile PM WEB 
SlainAngel
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 06 2002, 08:14

I'm really impressed by those, thanks.

Also, the SciFiBadGuy track sounds to be very close to what I need for the chase scene in episode 9. Would you be willing to let us use it? We can't offer much money, but you'd get your name in the credits if you want.

Cheers
SlainAngel (sd505050@hotmail.com)
RichardT Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2002, 12:04

Thanks SA,
I'll email you for details.
RT
Profile PM WEB 
James
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 23 2002, 19:59

I don't listen to this type of Rock .Despite that I found it interesting, well recorded/produced good and energetic playing great atmospheres at times fair bit of work ie amount of  guitar overdubs .well done. :D  :cool:
James
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 29 2002, 20:20

My comments above refer to Richards bad guy track only.Ive just managed to download his three Mike variations WOW!!.
They are megatastic.Very immaginative variations that sometimes get so close its cool did I say megatastic.lovely playing sounds like you were having lots of fun LOL.Well done Richard congratulations now put your feet up and have a lemonade! :)
Zorn
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 05:56

Not bad, not bad at all. You've really got talent  :) . I'd love to hear make your own compositions. The production is also good - especially consindering the limited recourses.

Da capo!

Kind regards,

Zorn.
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2002, 11:57

I must add my congratulations on the full length Oldfield Variations - you have a lot of talent and I'm sure we've not heard the last of you (I certainly hope not!;). Having listened to the whole composition a few times now and knowing the original Oldfield works so well, I feel there is mileage in this sort of arrangement of his music. Yes, the themes are the same and one is quick to spot from which part of which album they originate, but I must say that many of the arrangementS here actually add something rather than detract from the original. The variations in rhythm, the aggressive guitar and the absoutley stunning bass work stand up on their own - worthy of repeated listening and if you don't mind Richard, I will keep this in my collection for many years to come!

Cheers,

Mart (aka T4)

PS I will now download the other original compositions with eager anticipation  ;)

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
jamie
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 01 2002, 17:17

well done, very good!
RichardT Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2002, 19:02

Many thanks, all. (especially M O)  :)  :D  :p
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 14 2002, 20:29

There are some nice ideas in there. I think the Hergest Ridge sections are the ones which grab me the most...what can I say? Keep going, I know you find it fun ;)

You're welcome to start separate topics for each track you post here, by the way (in fact, it's in the forum rules :)) - you might find it makes it easier for people when they're only commenting on one track at a time.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 15 2002, 17:02

Wow, brilliant.
It was back in July 2001 that I discovered your 'Oldfield Variations'  at  the Amarok site, and enjoyed it ever since.
I almost can't believe how fast you are on guitars & base, and the sounds are so well-chosen, so... well, original Oldfieldish. And you really got the knack of using drum-samples, I think!
My only criticism is the bass frequencies being a little soft, but that's probably due to MP3 compression....

Just hold your heading true!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2002, 18:47

Farily liked your condensed rendition of 'variations' on the first 3 albums.

If you could just do the same for my favorit, INCANTATIONS

It took mike a long long time to produce this double album but it was well worth the wait.

My only regret is that it takes so long to build up in places, plus there is quite a few repeatative bits.

The way your MP3 turned out would be a great tool if applied to INCANTATIONS, as a short condensed version.

Think about it and make a fan very happy, cheers MO fan

:D
Profile PM 
RichardT Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2002, 09:10

Thanks folks.
Sorry about piling on, Korgscrew. Typical for me, I'm afraid - jump in, THEN read the instructions.
Rich
Profile PM WEB 
Da Big Dude
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 21 2002, 06:20

I downloaded the file and thought it was a very nice try to capture the genius sound of Mike. But when I heard your hergest ridge version (5.45 minutes in the song) I was really surprised. It's a kind of Genesis meeting Mike Oldfield and I could imagine the seventies Genesis line up covering Oldfield.
It's a great symphonic rock version a Mike's music. Not just an ordinary cover but a creative piece of music. You can be proud on your creation!
23 replies since Sep. 20 2002, 18:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net