Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Meaning of the word 'incantation', Silly question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 17:34

Hi all. I'd like to ask a very silly question, especially silly to native English speakers, but since, being Italian, I'm not  :), I'd like to know if the meaning of the word 'incantation' is closer to (a) magic formula or (b) spell. I first thought it was (b), because we have the word 'incantesimo' [accent on the E], which means something like (b), i.e. something enchanted/enchanting that affects a person, a spell.  ;)  But then I saw the word 'incantations' being used in reference to some of Enya's apparently invented Gaelic lyrics, and in that context it had a meaning much closer to (a). Can you please tell me what meaning is the most appropriate in the context of Mike's album?

PS: I'd especially like one particular person to answer, but if she doesn't, it doesn't really matter.  ;)  And of course the question is aimed to all forum members, also the non-native-English-speaking ones.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 20:03

Hi Ugo ((-:

It's not a silly question at all, and I've wondered about the title over the years.

Webster's defines "incantation" as 1) a use of spells or verbal charms spoken or sung as a part of a ritual of magic; 2) a written or recited formula of words designed to produce a particular effect.

Wicca A-Z by Gerina Dunwich defines “incantation” as "The ritual recitation of words of power or special phrases, usually rhymed, in order to produce a magickal effect. Incantations (which are also known as chants, spoken charms, and sometimes as runes) can be used in spells and rituals for either beneficial or harmful purposes, depending upon the intent of the spellcaster. In order to be effective, an incantation must be done during the correct lunar phase (see also Moon) and accompanied by a visualization of the intent and the raising-directing-releasing of magickal energy. Not all Witches recite incantations when spellcasting; however, the majority of those who do find that the speaking of words aids the mind in focusing upon the desired goal and facilitates the building up of energy.”

Over the years, I have come to also see particular dancing as an incantation. After this past weekend, I’m not so sure that drumming couldn’t be worked in.

I think that Incantations may fall closer to your definition b)  and Webster’s 1) – mainly because it seemed to weave a spell around me in 1978 and I’ve been Inkanted ever since. ((((-:

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 20:35

of course....on the other hand....a spell is a recipe, a process. To do a spell, you follow a formula (I don't do them much, actually). Incantations, like chocolate and condensed milk, are ingredients. The ingredients can even be substituted and changed (depending), but just as with a recipe, more has to happen than merely assemble ingredients for a recipe to "bake." Without the process, Incantations, like assembled ingredients, are just a bunch of words or phrases.

Well, I've finally stopped making sense, even to myself, so I'll run along now!  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2003, 05:24

i would say it was a spell, or as they say in french un sort
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2003, 14:18

I've continued to think about this every now and then ...

I still think of "incantations" as ingredients within a spell. The only time I've seen words uttered to produce an immediate effect (i.e., a forumula) was in Harry Potter, where one teacher is chanting to make him fall off his broomstick in a game of Quidditch, and another one is trying to counteract the spell. But that was Harry Potter. I'm organizing a program entitled,  "Abracadabra: you're now a virtual reference librarian!" and wish I could just utter those words and make it so! Of course, it's more complicated than that, and spells are kind of like that, too---they're much more than just words.   :)

So...in the context of Incantations...regarding the words, it leads one to think of it in terms of a spell.

As I asked before, must "incantations" apply only to the verbal? I would suggest not. So...with that in mind....Mike used a particular formula of music throughout the entire four part work (i.e., the chord progressions). Is that, in fact, the "Incantation?" The formula.

So...perhaps all definitions of "incantations" apply here! We have the "spell" represented in the form of the chants, and the "formula" in the structure of the music itself.

M-C, who listened to Incantations minus part II this past weekend, and lives to tell about it!  :O

--------------
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 11:22

'Incantations' can also simply mean 'a chant' - this chant may or may not be used in the context of a spell. Christian monks make 'Incantations' to God and this is not considerd to be a spell, more like a prayer. :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2003, 21:02

I have never heard the word "incantation" used as merely a chant. But, in that I know very far from everything, I had a friend scope out the online Oxford English Dictionary for me. Here are the definitions contained therein:

Search Results
Displaying 9 of 9 results

1. incantation (100%)
•n. a series of words said as a magic spell or charm.
(From The Concise Oxford Dictionary in English
Dictionaries and Thesauruses)

2. incantation n. (100%)
a magical formula. the use of this.
(From The Oxford American Dictionary of Current
English in English Dictionaries and Thesauruses)

3. incantation (100%)
the chanting or reciting of any form of words deemed
tohave magical power, usually in a brief rhyming spell
with an insistent rhythm and other devices of
repetition; or the form of words thus recited.
Incantation is characteristic of magical charms, ...
(From The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms
in Literature)

4. incantation (100%)
XIV. — (O)F. — late L. incantti, -n-, f. incantre
chant, charm, f. IN-1 + cantre sing, CHANT; see
-ATION.
(From The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English
Etymology in English Language Reference)

5. Incantation (100%)
see MAGIC.
(From The Concise Oxford Dictionary of World Religions
in Religion and Philosophy)

6. incantation noun (100%)
he muttered some weird incantations chant, invocation,
conjuration, magic spell/formula, rune; N. Amer. hex,
mojo; NZ makutu.
(From The Oxford Paperback Thesaurus in English
Dictionaries and Thesauruses)

7. incantation noun (100%)
chant, chanting, invocation, conjuration, spell, magic
formula/word; abracadabra, open sesame.
(From The Oxford American Thesaurus of Current English
in English Dictionaries and Thesauruses)

8. incantation (100%)
ensalmo
(From The Concise Oxford Spanish Dictionary
(English-Spanish) in Modern Languages)

9. incantation (100%)
words Zauberspruch, der;
(From The Concise Oxford-Duden German Dictionary
(English-German) in Modern Languages)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wouldn't describe Christian monkish chants as incantations.  I'd call it chanting--though having said that, in that chanting, such as Gregorian chanting, was (is?) thought to purify the mind and calm the soul, perhaps it can be thought of as a magickal practice. It depends on how you define magick. From my very odd point of view, some Christian practices seem like magick. For example, the Catholic friends in my life tell me that during communion, the wine actually becomes the blood, and the bread becomes the body of Christ. If turning wine into blood isn't magick, I don't know what it is (except alchemy, perhaps). ?? Are words also recited? It's been so long since I've been to Mass that I can't remember. Certainly those words would constitute an "incantation."
:/

--------------
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2003, 17:10

All I know is that when Incantations came out, I was 'spellbound' with the brilliance of Mike Oldfields work.

And maybe that sums it up nicely.

Cheers MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
7 replies since Sep. 16 2002, 17:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net