Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Maybe even better..., An attempt at a review of sorts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
aoeu Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 20 2017, 10:02

...than the original Ommadawn? Well, it's too early to say something as bold as that. But given how much I liked it on the first listen that's usually a good sign, I can only imagine how much I'd like it when it grows on me even more. I'm listening to it now for the third time as I write. Safe to say my first impressions are very positive.

RTO I think must be the truest return to the feel of Mike's first three albums, but at the same time it's very much its own thing. While referencing the original Ommadawn most of all, it doesn't convey its sense of chaos, this is a much calmer, more reflective piece - and for that reason maybe its most natural comparison, if any, would be to Hergest Ridge.

Any negatives? I could anticipate some people not liking the dominance of the acoustic guitars throughout so much of the album, especially given the sub-par reception of the album Guitars (which I actually quite like but I know I'm in the minority). That said, I've not seen any complaints to that effect so far, so maybe that's not an issue, it's not for me. Also, no, the climaxes are not as huge as found in the original O, but I would say it's not that sort of album.

Only having heard the album now I completely understand why there's no follow-up to 'On Horseback', it just wouldn't work with this album, RTO is not O. But the ending we have instead, with its reference to On Horseback (complete with a bit of MO's sense of humour), couldn't be more fitting. It marks RTO out as a continuation of Ommadawn and (definitely) not a TB2-style remake.

Perhaps, then, this album could be thought of as the long-awaited Parts 3 and 4 of Ommadawn, perfectly at home being listened to directly after the Parts 1 and 2 we all know and love. But mostly I see it as not trying to re-create every aspect of the experience of listening to the original, but reflecting on it.

And it's beautiful!
Profile PM 
mvm Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 09:58

I agree with you, it's beautiful!
I have listened to new album many times I can say it's really great, I don't know if this is great like the original Ommadawn however in general it seems much better than latest albums (except maybe Music of the spheres that I like very much) and even better than TB2 in my opinion.
In the original I like very much the first part, very magical, spiritual and even very powerful, the new is maybe less spiritual or magic but it's still powerful in my opinion and a little magical, dreamy and full of joy (specially in the second part) and life, I love all the opera, first and second part for different reasons.
Even my son (3 years) likes very much, especially the Africa section in the first part, I said him "è potente, è vero?" (is it powerful?) and he said "yes, it is", then when the electrical guitar entered he said "anche questo è potente!" (even this is powerful)   :laugh:

--------------
Hey and away we go
Through the grass, across the snow
Big brown beastie, big brown face
I'd rather be with you than flying through space.
Profile PM 
pauly Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 19:44

Yes it certainly is a wonderful piece of music and in my opinion it was well worth the wait and has certainly not disappointed me. It's upbeat, atmospheric and an album that is very fluid in composition.
As some people have already mentioned, any mention of Ommadawn in the title will draw people to making comparisons between the two.
I like the samples of the original vocal and think it only adds to the atmosphere of the album whilst not turning it into a carbon copy of the original.
10 out of 10 from me and Mikes best album in years. Well done Mike Oldfield.
Profile PM 
2 replies since Jan. 20 2017, 10:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net