Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mandolin, Is this it??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 21 2009, 15:30

I had been messing around on the internet looking at how mandolins are constructed, tuned, etc. Basically 4 double strings tuned the same and lots of easy chords to make. I went to the guitar center and saw 3 on the wall. It was a busy Saturday in the store. I grabbed one "Fender" and messed with it, then another(I was in a hurry). Wow. The frets were like, 1/4 inch wide! How do you make a chord with that small width?? I don't know if I want to buy one now. Just curious and want feedback from any who have mandolins. I wanted one for the convenience of easy play, but is a mandolin just a toy?
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2009, 16:07

I thought they were tuned like violins (ie like an electric bass but in reverse - G D A E). At least the ukulele is, and I think the mandolin. If this is the case, many of the most common chords can be played with one-finger grips.
But forget about keys like e flat.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2009, 10:37

The tuning was not the issue. But.......the fretboard of the Fender and the other mando I played with(for all of 4 minutes, I was in a hurry)......the fretboard is SO short! The distance between frets is so tiny I would need fingers like pencil points to play it. It just seemed useless and I would like to know the trick to playing this miniature thing. There's so many who play them and I gotta know.....do they stick thier fingers in a pencil sharpener first?

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
drew2 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2009, 18:40

Hi folks-
As a mandolin player, all I can only say is, as with any instrument, all it takes is time and devoted practice. I have been playing mando for over 25 years, and I don't recollect having much problem adapting to the scale of fret width, for the most part, except perhaps the further up the fretboard you go, but that again is something that comes with time and practice. Most beginners don't venture that far for quite a while anyway, and everything you need to make decent music can be found within the first 7-8 frets in any case.
I have large hands, and what I like in particular about the mandolin is the ease with which I can make large octave jumps without straining my tendons - i should add that I don't play guitar, and in fact the few times I have tried, I get the opposite feeling - that there is way too much room between frets, and I feel like I'm going to do damage by trying to over-reach. But then, I haven't put in the practice to find out.
To answer your question - NO, mandolins are not a "toy", unless you want to regard them that way for lack of dedication. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains in central Virginia, and some of the finest mandolin players I've ever heard live within 50 mile radius from me. Granted, mountain, bluegrass & old-timey music is the prevalent sound played around here, but the mandolin is incredibly versatile, and can be adapted to just about any style you care to name. If you really want to get that mandolin sound, but don't want to deal with the fret issue, you might consider an octave-mandolin, or mandola.
Here you have the near-guitar scale fret width, and the beauty of mandolin sound. You also has the advantage of being able to capo to a higher tuning if you wish. I would encourage you to give it another try, perhaps talk to someone who has had some experience - 4 minutes in a busy store won't do justice to the capabilities this instrument can achieve. Also, try as many different models as you can find - "playability" is definitely an issue with mandos - some are stiff and harder to play, while others seem to play themselves. I have a Martin "Backpackers" mandolin that I love - it's a great beginners instrument - affordable, versatile , very portable, and a great tone. Also a unique shape that grabs attention... :)
Good luck if you decide to persue it - I think in a short while, you'll fall in love too. Cheers!

~drew
P.S. If you want to hear Amarok on the mando, check out my "FastRiff" in the Fan Music -> Covers forum...hope you like it.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2009, 18:43

@ Drew: are any of your mandolins shaped like this? Or are they all shaped like small guitars?

P.S.: I do miss you from the good ol' IRC days on the #mike_oldfield channel. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
drew2 Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2009, 18:53

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 22 2009, 18:43)
@ Drew: are any of your mandolins shaped like this? Or are they all shaped like small guitars?

Ugo - no that body-style is the Italian/Neopolitan type, and hardly ever seen in the US or for that matter, professional music scene. I would avoid them if you are a beginner, and most pros would not even consider them for live performance. I've tried to play them occasioanlly, and that rounded back drives me crazy, slipping and rolling around like a bowl. Also, the tone quality is generally inferior to a flat-backed instrument, and unless very well-made, usually will not last as long either.

~drew
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2009, 19:24

Quote (drew2 @ Jan. 23 2009, 00:53)
[...]Also, the tone quality is generally inferior to a flat-backed instrument, and unless very well-made, usually will not last as long either. [...]

Indeed, mine is a cheap one, and its back is cracked. However, I can't really play it. :) Ironically, almost all mandolins that you may find in Italy, even top quality ones, have that bulging shape; guitar-shaped ones are extremely hard to find, and only as imports.

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2009, 00:39

Epiphone makes the mandobird IV and VIII. Essentially little electric guitars with 4 or 8 strings tuned like a mando. I'll give it another shot. I want to be able to make those easy 2 finger chords.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
fragile Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2009, 08:50

hi scatterplot.
the thing is: you can not play mandolin with the same technik as the guitar. on the guitar you play every fret with the next finger (in half-tones). on the mandolin you play like that:
example D major scale.
d- open string
e- first finger
f-sharp- 2nd finger
g- 3rd finger
a- 4. finger or next open a string
b- 1st finger on a string
c sharp- 2nd finger
d 3rd finger
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2009, 10:12

I wonder what would happen if I took off the 2 top strings of the strat I never play, then tune the bottom 4 strings like a mando? I'll give it a try......

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2009, 06:57

I can get my hand around the body, but can't seem to locate
the strings against all that orange skin?

Hang on-"Mandolin?"

Bugger :p
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2009, 17:30

Quote (Scatterplot @ Jan. 25 2009, 16:12)
I wonder what would happen if I took off the 2 top strings of the Strat I never play, then tune the bottom 4 strings like a mando?

I guess you'd turn it into something like an octave mandola - the instrument that Korgscrew played a great rendition of "Moonlight Shadow" on, some time ago. :) The mandolin is well known [at least I think so!] for its high-pitched, shrill, plucky-pluck sound, and you just don't get it from a Fender Strat's strings, no matter how you tune 'em.

By the way, you shouldn't remove the 2 top strings (if by those you mean low E and A). You should rather remove B and high E.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2009, 09:41

Interesting stuff.I'm still considering getting one so this is all useful info.As far as Mike goes the live rendition of TB part 2 from the Montreux DVD is amazing.The speed at which he plays the sailors hornpipe can only be termed as 'blistering'.
 A friend of mine has a bowlback Neapolitan type.Really old looking thing (19th century we think).He was wondering wether to have it restored as the frets are worn down to virtually nothing and the fret board is in a sorry state.Would you recommend it?I have told him that if he does decide to do it he should consult a reputable luthier.Does anyone know of anyone UK based,preferabley in the Oxfordshire area,who could be trusted to carry out the work.I don't know if it's valuable or not but in it's present state it's pretty knackered and almost totally unplayable.
In the meantime he bought himself a nice little Ozark which we've been having great fun trying to figure out. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 27 2009, 10:46

Mandolins...great for getting vegetables sliced really thin.

But seriously, mandolins can be great fun, but I'd back up what fragile said - approaching it hoping it to be a little, upside down guitar will end in frustration.

I don't think there are many secrets to dealing with the short scale length; holding it properly is of course important, making sure your fingers are pushing down from right above the strings rather than at an angle, so they don't end up in a tangle. There should be enough space on the first five or so frets for most fingertips to fit comfortably between the frets; if you happen to have extremely large fingers, you may be out of luck, but keep in mind that there doesn't have to be a lot of free space between the finger and the frets like you might have on a guitar - it's fine for it to be almost right over the fret itself, as long as it's not muting the string. The tension is much higher than the guitar, so you won't find your finger coming into contact with the fretboard in the same way...in fact, my advice there is to not try and push down too hard. The mandolin can sound really awful when it's played with too heavy a touch - you really need to almost just glide across the strings (that applies to both hands).

There are, like drew2 suggested, larger instruments in the mandolin family. The octave mandolin (or octave mandola as it tends to be called on this side of the pond) tends to have a scale length roughly the same as that of a guitar capoed at the 3rd fret (its lowest note is a G). Some are longer than that, though this is where it starts getting really complex, as they go under a variety of different names - what some builders will call an octave mandolin, others will call a bouzouki (in terms of construction, there's not really any difference between a flat backed bouzouki and a flat backed octave mandolin, apart from that the bouzouki tends to be designed with a longer scale length for use with lighter gauge strings to give a brighter sound...bouzoukis tend to be tuned differently, but some players tune to GDAE). I think it's fair to say that if it looks like one, is strung like one and smells like one, you can tune it how you like, as long as you adjust the string gauges accordingly and don't do anything too extreme (stringing it up with bass strings and tuning it up an octave, for example...).
There's also an even bigger member of the family, the mandocello, which tends to have a scale length which is the same as, or slightly longer than, the guitar and is tuned CGDA. It can be a beautiful, rich sounding instrument, but it's really starting to push the limits of what's sensible in terms of tuning in fifths. Try putting one finger on the first fret of a guitar, then put another on the fifth. Now try moving that finger from the fifth to the seventh. That's the kind of stretch you'll have to deal with regularly when playing the mandocello. Some people even find the octave mandolin too large for that reason - playing melodies can have you stretching and jumping about a lot (or at least, it'll have your fingers doing that...).
I'd suggest mandocello tuning for a guitar, if you're going to go down that route. With the right gauge strings, you could make it a 5 string, tuned CGDAE for more mando fun.

There is some variation in scale length of mandolins, though as far as I can remember, all of the far eastern Gibson-style mandolins (which seem to be the most common at the moment) have the Gibson 358mm scale length. You'll find some variation in fretboard width too - a wider one might help in forming chords more easily.

There's a variety of different designs. The neopolitan bowl back type has already been mentioned. They do have a bad reputation, as there are a lot of cheap ones out there - both the ones produced in the early 20th century USA during the mandolin craze there and those produced in Italy for sale to tourists. There are high quality bowlback mandolins out there, though and they're still the favoured style of mandolin for playing classical music. They usually have a shorter 330mm scale length.
Their bad reputation is something that you can take advantage of if you like them and know what you're looking for, as good quality bowlbacks can be picked up for fairly little money. The construction often gives a clue to the quality - more expensive ones tend to use more ribs in the back, and the wood used is often something like brazillian rosewood. The grain of the top can give a clue as well - more expensive pieces tend to have tighter, finer grain. Bowlbacks can suffer all manner of issues as they get older, though - the backs often split and the tension of the strings can cause the top to collapse.
Bowlbacks tend to have a clear, sweet sound, when they're well made.

Folk players tend to favour flat backed models (sometimes called 'celtic' styles), constructed in roughly the same way as an acoustic guitar, with a flat (often spruce) top. There's also a variation of that design, used by Stefan Sobell, which uses an arched top.
All of them tend to be designed to be louder than the bowlback mandolins and usually have a longer scale length, more like the 358mm of the Gibson style. That tends to give them a more forward kind of sound, which is sometimes emphasised further by using a maple back and sides. Some makers offer a choice of soundhole shape; in general, the D-shaped soundholes (I've seen them called A-shaped before now...I'm not sure if asking for a mandolin with an A-hole is a good way of preserving your dignity though) are said to have a mellower sound, though I find it can lend them a generally more powerful edge; it's dependent mostly on the size and position of the hole rather than the shape (the D-shape tend to be larger than the round ones), though.

The type with the arched top and back, which I've been calling Gibson-style, was pioneered by Orville Gibson himself. His instruments had oval soundholes, but they tend now to be made with F-holes, as introduced by Lloyd Loar at Gibson in the 20s. They're particularly popular for bluegrass, but they're common in other styles as well (there are even a few people who play classical music on them). They have a more bassy sound than the other kinds of mandolin, and I find they tend to have a slightly more 'hollow' midrange than the flat backed 'celtic' style. That can lead to a light, delicate sound in some cases, and a full-on bluegrass bark in others.

Paul Hathway (based in London) might repair bowlback mandolins, as he builds lutes as well. His main business is the folk style of mandolin family instruments though. I'm also not sure how often he works with lacquer finishes. It would be worth asking him though. He's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. There are most likely other people closer to you who could do it (I'll probably kick myself once I hear a few mentioned! ).

I think that's quite enough from me for the moment!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2009, 14:32

Quite enough and well said. I will purchase the mandolin I wanted.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 27 2009, 08:58

Old thread i know but i've been given a mando today.Old looking Romanian thing but quite playable.Haven't had a chance to have much more than a quick strum as i'm at work but looking forward to sitting down and having a play tonight.
 It needs new strings and since this is alien stuff to me i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good brand of strings for it.I know absolutely nowt about mandolin at all.Also can anyone recommend any good 'teach yourself mandolin' books?Thanks.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: July 29 2009, 01:28

Lovely instrument, and played by someone with experience sheer heaven, have a go guys, you already have mastered guitar. I will continue to just listen and appreciate it, too darned complicated! How do you get your fingers to play those frets when the whole instrument is so tiny! Lol, an exercise in futility for me, as Korgscrew said, I would end up using it to peel the vegies!
Deb :O
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 29 2009, 03:09

Actually, even tho I made that remark before about going to buy a mando, I didn't. I bought a Taylor 12 string instead. I think it was a wiser purchase, most would agree. Lately I've seen a lot of the D. Gilmour "On an Island" tour, which means I've been seeing Phil Manzanera(another very admired artist I follow) standing next to Dave playing guitar(many kinds) and singing backup vocals. On the back of one of his albums I got circa 1980, there is a quote from Manzanera, something along the lines of: "My goal is to make a guitar sound as unlike a guitar as possible." That imprinted on me then and I like to do it a lot: like effecting my strat to sound like a banjo fairly successfully. Mando's, I had the use of an ARP-AXXE a lot, some years ago. One time I made it do a perfect sounding mandolin. The LFO would control the speed the strings were plucked, it was a cool sounding mandolin. I owned no FX then, no Alesis Microverbs or Midiverbs yet. But with some reverb it would have been better still. I'm still looking around on Ebay for a mint/well-working ARP-AXXE. When I find one(and the money situation is in flux) I'll get it. I tried the soft-synth software for the ARP-AXXE, just not the same. I think I'll pass on mandos till I get the ARP back again.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 29 2009, 07:13

Why not go the full hog and get one of those wierd ass looking Synthe Axe things that people like Alan Holdworth tried.Awfull looking thing and full of glitches and tracking problems.Gimme a natural sounding acoustic or electric anyday mate.Nice one for getting the 12.
 My little Romanian mando needs a bit more work than i first thought cos of the action being so high.Out comes the sandpaper at the weekend!And even if i can't get it to play well i could send it to Deb for her veggies :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
18 replies since Jan. 21 2009, 15:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net