Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Making of TBII tracks - where ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 09 2002, 04:09

Floating around the web, I found some MP3 tracks of Mike's studio work while making TBII, but couldn't find any reference if (and, if yes, where) these tracks were ever officially released (maybe on some DVD or VCR video collection ?). Any hints, anyone ?
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 09 2002, 20:26

No, they were never officially released. The only track from the making of Tubular Bells II which was officially released was 'Early Stages', the embryonic form of the opening of the album.
The rumour I've heard is that these tracks from during the making of Tubular Bells II were leaked by somebody unhappy with Trevor Horn's influence on the album (it's maybe not so hard to guess who that might have been, though it's probably best kept quiet about, which is why I'm mentioning no names here...).
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2002, 16:06

I have also found these out-takes/demo's,whatever you want to call them:
the first i found is called
Tubular Bells 2 Demo:which is a basic melody up and down a scale,Mike style of course,and it sounds like a bass guitar,but it must be a normal electric guitar,because of what he is doing with it.
Another track is called
Clear Light Demo:which is quite simpily amazing,it does'nt sound exactly like the final recorded Clear Light track,it starts with Mike playing very clear accoustic guitar,over a quiet backing,playing some gorgeous guitar,it's hard to desricbe,but trust me it's awesome,then after 1:50,Mike pick's up the electric,you can here him breathing too,he plays some very distinctive Oldfield electric,soaring vibrato,but just near the end he makes a mistake,and slips of the fretboad,and say"Oh fucking hell,do it again,can we do it again?"to which the reply is"It's still running"and Mike carries on with the playing,for another 30 seconds,then stops saying"That's it,that will do".
it's very good.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 05 2002, 19:06

hey, can you get them to me? or at least tell me where u got them or where i can get them or whatever.....i had them but i lost them........i need them again

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2002, 17:33

Looks like that page has gone - its shadow is still visible in google's cache :
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:kHdVBSSlCDgC tonguebouquet.free.fr/corps1.html
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2002, 17:34

Seems the BBS found some smiley in the URL:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:kHdVBSSlCDgC:pbouquet.free.fr/corps1.html
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 04:03

http://www.iespana.es/Geltrular/english/

Download Area, Mp3's, in that list somewhere. apparently they have early stages for about 5 tracks.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
DBZLuisD Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 18:30

a.

--------------
I'm not "Guilty"
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: May 12 2003, 09:25

Well, here we're talking about 2 different bootlegs. The first one is  The Making Of TB2. This record contains some little tracks recorded by Mike with Tom Newman in which Mike play some tunes with different instruments. The track list is as follow:
01.- Glockenspiel
02.- First Electric Guitar (1)
03.- First Electric Guitar (2)
04.- First Electric Guitar (3)
05.- Bass (1)
06.- Bass (2)
07.- Bass (3)
08.- Acoustic Guitar
09.- Second Electric Guitar
10.- Keyboard
Most of the tracks used to be able to download at Pascal Bouquet's webpage (the one some of you have found on Google). This page ended because the Pascal's server couldn't manage all the downloads it received. But the files can already be downloaded using a peer to peer program (I think now is e-mule :cool: ). His page is still at the Tubular Places directory (the URL is: http://mikeoldfield.fr.st/). There are some videos too which contain these tracks. You will find them at http://members.fortunecity.es/oldfieldvr/

Finally there's another bootleg called The Early Stages Of TB2 which included some demos from that record. The track list is as follow:
01.- Sentinel (Early Stages)
02.- Clear Light
03.- Blue Saloon
04.- Sunjammer
05.- Red Dawn
06.- Weightless
I can't find any difference between this Sentinel demo and the song called Early Stages, except a little variation in the time they spend. That makes me think that probably this first track is not really a demo but the song Early Stages slightly modified to be included in this bootleg (it's crystal clear that the title of the record has been based on the tittle of this track  ;) ). The other songs are demos with some little variations on the performance. This tracks have been called untrevored too because they are previous to Trevorn Horn work on the album. They can be downloaded from Pascal Bouquet's page too.
I hope everything is clear now :)

Spinne
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 12 2003, 16:04

Early Stages basically is a 'demo' for TB2, hence the similarity. The 'making of TB2' tracks were performed specially for a video, though what the video was intended for, I couldn't say. The right channel has the direct signal from the mixer, the left channel has the signal from the microphone attached to the camera (I hope I remember those the right way round...).
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 12 2003, 16:58

I think they were made for a documentary or a special about Mike and/or the making of TBII for a TV program. Guess it didn't make it.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
DBZLuisD Offline

Posted: May 13 2003, 00:35

a.

--------------
I'm not "Guilty"
Profile PM 
shaynw Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2010, 21:56

Quote (Spinne @ May 12 2003, 09:25)

01.- Sentinel (Early Stages)
02.- Clear Light
03.- Blue Saloon
04.- Sunjammer
05.- Red Dawn
06.- Weightless

Spinne

I wish the whole album would make it's way out, not just these few tracks :(
Profile PM 
12 replies since Jan. 09 2002, 04:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net