Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Maggie Reilly, Latest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bradnorman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 21 2012, 15:43

Many thanks for the information about the 'Everytime We Touch' video. It’s a particular favourite of mine, and I thought it was beautifully filmed and produced. I also find it quite moving (emotional). I didn’t know that the little boy was Maggie’s son Fionnbharr, but I thought he might be. He must have had a great time making the video, and he was just so honest and natural in a way that only a child can be. He reminded me of my own son’s when they were his age.

Although I’m basically just an old prog rocker, I’ve been a fan of Maggie’s since I first heard her sing with Mike. I just love that lady’s voice! It’s a shame she doesn’t seem to get any work in UK any more. Have you ever seen her live in Germany?     :)

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 14:33

Unfortunately not...

I also heard her beautiful voice for the first time in Mike's songs during the 80s. I was about 15 then, listening to a lot of music but mainly on my own. I didn't feel the longing to see the artists of my favorite music live at that time. Looking back today that seems to be a bit strange. It all came later on  -  I think I attended my first concerts when I was in my mid-20s.

Today I know what chances I missed in the 1980s, especially concerning Mike himself! At least I attended one of the NOTP concerts in 2006 and it also had been my dream that perhaps Maggie could sing again together with Mike there. But as we all know it remained a dream...

I possess several of her solo albums like Echoes, 'Starcrossed' and 'Rowan' (that I like especially) and of course the last one 'Looking back Moving forward'. It happened by chance that I watched her appearence in that TV show last week.

:)

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 17:46

:O   Oops, to correct my post above: Of course I wanted to say that 'Looking back Moving forward' isn't her last but her latest album. Typical German mistake I think...  :/

But it is a very curious thing: After having written the post above I visited Maggies website (I had not done it before for a long time) and could read there that she really will be touring in Germany this March! Among the listed tour dates there's also a town where I could make it possible to go to (Phillipstal/Werra) but when I browsed the web for tickets I got the information that the concert has been cancelled... What a pity!   :/

--------------
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2012, 15:36

I think I must have been about 17 or 18 when I went to my first rock concert in Liverpool.  It was the great Rory Gallagher (another musical hero of mine).  Sadly, Rory is no longer with us, and died in the mid- nineties. Attending your first concerts in your mid- twenties was maybe a little late, but I’m pleased you got there eventually!

Unfortunately, I’ve never had the opportunity to see Mike (or Maggie) live. That would definitely be one of things I would most like to do before I leave this world! To go to one of the NOTP concerts must have been fantastic. I’m very jealous!!! Yeah - to see Mike and Maggie on stage once more…well…as you say, we can only dream! Perhaps a  repeat of their acoustic performance of ‘Moonlight Shadow’. I’d just love that.

To return to Maggie’s music, I too like 'Starcrossed' and 'Rowan'. My favourite track is probably ‘Adelena’. Have you heard any of the stuff she did with ‘Lesiem’. It’s all a bit gothic, but I particularly like this one. You may have already seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJLCdxYYLco

It’s a real shame about the cancelled gig. I think that one was to be an acoustic show as well. Never mind maybe next time! It would have useful if the cancellation had been posted on her official web site. Whoever runs it for her isn’t doing it very well! There is also a Dutch website called ‘Heartsong’ which is quite good, but no mention of it on that either. :/  

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2012, 17:14

Thank you very much for posting that! I really haven't seen it before and also don't know much about 'Lesiem'. That performance indeed is really a bit too gothic for me but Maggie's voice sounds wonderful as ever and makes it worth to listen to.

Concerning the NOTP concerts in 2006 - yes, in fact, that was a great experience. If you are interested...  I browsed the forum and found again the post where I had written down my feelings after the concert. As I don't know how to put a link I use 'copy and paste'. Of course this probably goes off topic now...

Starwatcher
Posted: Dec. 13 2006, 00:23  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi!

I attended the concert in Erfurt one week ago and I'll try to give you an impression of that event and my feelings about it.

Allow me to analyse it under two aspects:

First and most important aspect:  Seeing Mike
Mike appears twice in the concert. During the first part when John Miles has finished his "Music" they announce that the conductor of the orchestra, Robert Groslot, will now play a very famous tune on the piano. The lights go down, only one bright spot at the piano where the master sits down and starts to play... And he plays that tune - you know what I mean!!! And you sit there, paralysed, listening and suddenly recognizing that in the front part of the stage besides the piano in the darkness there's a slightly moving shadow with a guitar in his hands.... And suddenly the stage lights turn on and - there he is!!!

He plays two excerpts, first from TB then from Ommadawn (It's the beginning, Tubularman). I had a seat in the first row, but on the very left where the view to the stage wasn't very good and of course I felt I didn't sit close enough! So what to do? With my small DigiCam in my hands I automatically tried to take some photos - but a quick view at the display showed the miserable results from that distance - forget it! So I stared to the stage (and to the big screen above me) being aware of that he was just about 20 steps away (but still too far!, listening to the music, trying to enjoy every moment as much as possible. But the moments passed and too soon the first part was over.

Later, in the second part of the concert, Mike returns together with Miriam Stockley doing Moonlight Shadow and To France and finally with John Miles singing SOTW. At that time a part of the audience was standing up - so I did too and now my seat in the first row at last proved its flexibility: When I saw that a few people were gathering in the gangway in front of the stage to take some photos I quickly used my chance and ran there, too. The security guys didn't look very happy about it. So, seize the moment!!!

Oh my dear! Standing almost in front of him, only a few metres away, could it be real?!! He's very cool and relaxed on stage, doesn't show great emotional reactions towards the audience - but that's Mike of course! So... looking at him, clicking the camera, looking at him, clicking the camera... three or four times until that security man stepped to me and the others around saying: "Get back to your seat!" Ok, I had to do that running as fast as possible. Back on the left side I noticed a young lady with a backstage-card around her neck standing directly beside my seat staring to the stage. A crazy thought flashed through my mind standing there beside her - and disappeared again because I had to concentrate on the action on stage of course....

The "magic moments" went by too fast, SOTW was over, Mike left the stage and the lady at my side had disappeared too. I sat down again, the orchestra was playing and I checked my photos on the display. Ok, nothing special (not comparable to the pics shown here) but good enough as a personal souvenir. Then the final scene on stage: All artists came up singing "Yellow submarine". But Mike kept himself a bit in the background, could hardly see him from my place. And then it was definitively over. I felt exhausted and a bit confused... Had it really been real???

Now at home again after having read a lot of comments and hints on oldfield.de and after having watched again the Art Of Heaven DVD it's almost a certitude: The lady beside my seat must have been Fanny! You're a fool, Christine, yes you are!!! But on the other hand: Even if I had been sure about it during the concert I would have been too shy to speak to her.... So - it's over.

But let me also tell you about the second aspect: the musical experiece in general
To say it frankly: I never had expected that TB and Ommadawn would sound that good on stage! The instrumental and technical possibilities of the orchestra and the choir really fitted to Mike's music, the fusion between classic and pop was perfect right there! The songs were good, too. Ok, Miriam Stockley is not Maggie Reilly but John Miles "as" Roger Chapman was great I think. Same thing with OMD that evening: Those two guys were simply wonderful in my opinion!

But unfortunately I can't say that about the rest of the program. I love classical music and so I had expected a lot concerning the classical parts... But what can I say? The perfect harmony I experienced during Mike's orchestral pieces - I totally missed it in the classical parts! Too much electronic sounds for me, too loud, too.... rough! Don't know why but for me the fusion between pop and classic only works with modern music but not with original classical pieces. Perhaps I'm too conservative for that. So I also can't understand that "hype" about Tony Henry...

And the rest? John Miles? Solid. Chico and the Gypsies? Nice party. Ike Turner? I've never been a fan of him and surely haven't become one that evening... Of course that's my own personal impression, there are surely very different opinions!

Please excuse my mistakes and tell me if I wrote something that can be misunderstood. Then I'll try to explain it in other words.

To all those people who have tickets for the next concerts: Wish you a lot of fun! Enjoy Mike!

Love
Christine

--------------
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 11:26

Wow! Thanks for posting that Christine. Your narrative really captures the excitement of the concert, and even if it is off topic….then who cares! Haha!

It must have been an extraordinary experience, and a memory you will always treasure. I think that maybe it was just as well you didn’t speak to Fanny though. There’s no telling what her reaction would have been if you had. It could have been a positive one, but if it were negative, it would have spoiled the whole experience for you. Sometimes in life, it’s better not to know! Don’t you agree?

Returning to the topic, and I hope I‘m not boring you, a few months ago I read about a collaboration Maggie had with a band called Flairck. They’re from Holland and are described on Wikipedia as a ’Dutch musical ensemble’ which sounds vaguely classical, but their musical style is fairly eclectic (as is Maggie’s). I found a few of their songs on Youtube which are quite ’folky’ in style. Again, I don’t know if you’ve heard Maggie sing with them, but these two are nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3K2Au5ZIUE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gWGNL7crHo&feature=related

She really is the most versatile of vocalists! I think it was Tim Cross (late of the M.O. group) who said that she could sing anything, and given that she’s also worked with the likes of  Karlheinz Stockhausen and Dave Gilmour, to name but two, he was probably correct!

OK, I’ll shut up now!

Lee :D

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 14:33

Flairck  !!  "Sleight of Hand"     Think of Discovery... Think of Mike Batt Producing a Album that could of sounded like a Like a  Oldfield Album if he had ever had the opportunity..  "Trick of the Night" Case in Point.  Good Album Though.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 15:36

It must have been an extraordinary experience, and a memory you will always treasure. I think that maybe it was just as well you didn’t speak to Fanny though. There’s no telling what her reaction would have been if you had. It could have been a positive one, but if it were negative, it would have spoiled the whole experience for you. Sometimes in life, it’s better not to know! Don’t you agree?

Hi Lee, I fully agree with you.   :)

Concerning Maggies collaboration with Flairck - again, I didn't know about it before. So according to Wikipedia it must have been in the mid-eighties, wasn't it? The two songs you've chosen here are very beautiful, covering my personal musical taste much better than the Lesiem stuff. Really makes me curious about the whole album. Thank you very much for that!

--------------
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2012, 16:28

Christine

It was my pleasure. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Yes - the album was released in 1986, and it is much easier on the ear than 'Lesiem'!:D Thanks for the discussion. I've really enjoyed it. We must do it again some time.    :)

Nigel

Good point about M Batt and 'Sleight Of Hand'. We'll never know though!

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2012, 15:10

Thanks for the discussion. I've really enjoyed it. We must do it again some time.    

I've also enjoyed it, Lee, many thanks. Although I'm not online every day I'm sure we'll find another interesting topic to discuss.  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2012, 07:54

Watching those recent video's of Maggie, got me thinking, It's a real shame she and Mike are not playing together anymore, as far as songs go, they were the best for each other. Does anyone know if they are still in contact with each other?
Also, I thought that performance of Moonlight Shadow was awful, she didn't seem to put much effort into the vocals, don't know why, we all know she can sing better than that.
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2012, 15:28

Does anyone know if they are still in contact with each other?

I don't know - I think they still list each other as friends on Facebook, but that doesn't necessarily mean they keep in touch anymore.

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2012, 15:36

Oops...sorry I meant Myspace. I'm getting confused in my old age! :D

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2012, 16:43

Better late than never!

As promised, Maggie Reilly will be a guest on the BBC Radio Scotland's 'My Life in Five Songs' programme.

It's scheduled for 14.05 GMT on Tuesday 20th March, with a repeat on the 25th March at 16.30. The programme will also be available to listen to on demand for 7 days after that on the BBC Radio iPlayer. This can be accessed outside the UK, providing you have Flash Player installed on your computer.

:D

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2012, 16:47

Quote (Starwatcher @ Jan. 22 2012, 23:46)
But it is a very curious thing: After having written the post above I visited Maggies website (I had not done it before for a long time) and could read there that she really will be touring in Germany this March! Among the listed tour dates there's also a town where I could make it possible to go to (Phillipstal/Werra) but when I browsed the web for tickets I got the information that the concert has been cancelled... What a pity!   :/

Damn, I had no idea! She played in Duisburg three days ago!
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2012, 15:44

Hi Lee,

thanks a lot for posting the news and for sending me a message about it! As I have Flash Player installed I hope it will be no problem for me to listen to it. Already looking forward to browse the web for it next weekend...   :)

Hi Holger,

that's really a pity! I know exactly how you must feel. Perhaps Maggie should really improve her public relations...  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2012, 14:58

Hi Christine

You're right about her public relations. There's still no mention of it on her website!

I hope you enjoy it anyway.

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2012, 18:22

Yea, I really enjoyed it when I listened to it this evening although I think that I probably didn't get every detail when Maggie spoke a bit faster.

Nice surprise for me that she likes Sinatra's voice so much. Also good to hear how she spoke about the collaboration with Mike. No bad words but the interesting information that during their work together she began to develop her skills as a songwriter.

Very impressive also her description of how she had been torn up between her life as a young mother and a very busy musician...  Fortunately she took a break in time and found back her balance.

All in all the interview gave another proof of her kindness, sincerity and naturalness.    

:)

--------------
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2012, 00:20

This is the link to the interview:
BBc Radio Scotland
She's a really lovely person. Thanks to Sally Cooper who introduced Maggie to Mike.
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2012, 15:23

That really was an excellent interview by Phil Cunningham. He didn’t let his ego get in the way as some interviewers do, and had a nice rapport with Maggie thoughout. He also didn’t dwell on her collaboration with Mike too much, and gave her plenty of time to talk about her life and career since then. All in all, a very enjoyable 25 minutes or so!

You may have seen them already, but I've noticed some videos of her recent acoustic tour in Germany have been posted on Youtube.

It would be good if she could do some gigs in the UK though……and get someone to update her website on a regular basis! Haha :)

stpaul thanks for posting the link. I forgot about that. ;)

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
47 replies since Oct. 29 2011, 18:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net