Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Magellan _excerpt< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bleat Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 21 2007, 11:36

Hello,

Well I found a cover I started of Magellan from TSODE lurking in a dusty folder on my hard drive.....I havnt completed the last section yet (infact I had forgot about the whole thing to be honest :/ ),but If anyone likes it, then Il complete it and repost it at some point......
Ive tried to keep it as close to original as possible,so nothing too different about it ,but I did start an orchestral version too which I might get round to completing too  :cool:
Anyhow enjoy!
Love from Bleat  :p

Magellan excerpt

This a new file ..I made it a bit louder and put a proper fade out on it..... :cool:
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2007, 17:01

I miss something in the part starting at 1:32, but I think it's a very good cover :)
Profile PM 
Bleat Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2007, 18:08

Hi Trinidad,

I think the thing missing where the piano starts at 1.32 is in the chords.....They should be slightly different,a bit higher I think ( different inversions of the chords that are already there).I had a quick listen to the original tonite,and that seems to be whats not quite there at the moment...Theres a few things that need a adjustment mix wise,(and other bits that need laying down)but thanks for pointing it out*makes mental note* or I might not have noticed! ;)

This is only a "simple/straightforward" sounding album on the surface ,but there is a lot of subtle stuff going on underneath,and just this piece has been a challenge so far on that level at least.It sure makes you appreciate Mikes capability though when you attempt to copy his work!

peace,
Bleat  :cool:
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 22 2007, 12:13

Very nice! Excellent job recreating all those sounds! What did you use to make it? Sounds sequenced for sure.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Bleat Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2007, 19:07

Hi MusicallyInspired,

Thanks for the kind words,and glad you like it ..so far anyhow heh  :cool:

Regarding recording,I use CubaseVST V5 running on a pretty modest pc..its about 6 years old now so I have to do a lot of workarounds and submixes with tracks just to stop the cpu pleading for mercy...All parts are played in and then i just adjust the out of time notes here and there.

Most of the sounds (excluding the drum kit,bagpipes and pad chords) were created by myself from scratch..mainly using NI pro-53 vst synth eg the rumble,the synth sequence,bass notes,metallic sounds,the synth hihat sequence( I personally dont like the hihat too much in the original so made it less obtrusive in my version),the "spaceman breathing" effect at start.
The Piano is a preset from My Korg X3 which is basically an  updated M1 (Theres a load of M1 sounds all over TSODE)
The Bagpipes again are just a pereset from the GM bank of the X3,recorded as 2 stereo tracks,one file being shifted slightly and detuned slightly to give the big chorus effect,then reverb added.
The drums again just a preset gm kit from the X3 ,but with some lo-fi effects added,and some severe eq'ing.
For the melody at the start I created the sound myself using a very good free vst synth called Triangle2.
There are some piccolo/flutes from Edirol Orchestral in the main chorus part that follow the melody, but you cant hear them too well at the moment.
The choir at end of chorus section is from the X3,but I had to edit it to sound right.
The guitar chords are me playing a Washburn X22 through an Alesis QuadraverbGT... I programmed my own distortion sound...sadly I have neither the guitar or Quadraverb now :/ ,so it maybe a short while before I can fully complete the tune.

Next week........my life story  :p
Peace,
Bleat :cool:
Profile PM 
Jameson Kimball Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2007, 00:27

very good cover ...i think it lost its celtic feel but u replaced it witha new age vibe like feel

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/jamesonkimball
Profile PM 
Bleat Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2007, 12:29

Hi Jameson Kimball,

Thanks for taking the time to listen,though Im trying to keep it as original as possible,Im glad you get a different vibe from it. ;)

James.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Feb. 21 2007, 11:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net