Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Maddy Prior and Steeleye Span< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 13 2006, 09:18

Quote (familyjules @ Oct. 13 2006, 10:57)
I will listen again to that track tonight Alan, and listen out for the guitar work.

Actually, listening to it again now, I think I've been unfair to Peter Knight's fiddling, which is probably more important here (in terms of driving the song along) than Carthy's guitar. Well, no matter - they complement each other perfectly, I think. In fact in all respects this track is spectacularly successful, in my view. Carthy stamps his authority on it from the outset with the powerful vocal and raw guitar - and there is something about the chorus, when Maddy's haunting vocal joins in, that really does makes me think of hail spattering against windows in the dark, with a wind blowing outside.

Speaking generally though, I agree entirely with you about Carthy's tendency towards obsession with technique.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2006, 11:06

Quote (familyjules @ Oct. 12 2006, 11:15)
When I get into someone new I tend to go deep rather than casting the net wider.  My friend tells me I need to hear Pentangle - I keep saying later - I've got to plough the Fairport furrow a while longer yet.

Jules

I like Pentangle,I've got to buy some  of their albums. Iguessa great starting point is the compilation "Pentangling".  I found this compilation on LP,plays near on perfect for the bargainprice of 69p in my local Age Concern shop   :) .  I haven't really heard much Fairport Convention though.

I remember a one time neighbour Bob,(he died aged 44,he hadMS) loaned me a box of LPs included were some Fairport albums,I didn't really get in to them at thetime. However in this box were  some of the Canterbury Scene bands,Kevin Ayers andThe Whole World,Caravan ,Gong and more.    I've got into KA&TWW,and I like Caravan's "World Of Grey and Pink"  LP, I thought many of these were long deleted, but thanks to online shopping Ifind they're now available    :).Gong I don't know what to make of them    :/ .

Sorry for going slightly off topic there.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2006, 07:43

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 14 2006, 11:06)
Gong I don't know what to make of them    :/ .

Uh...incredibly silly.  I hated the Gong album I bought so much that I hid it at the back of my wardrobe!  lol

Jules

PS  Buy, beg, steal or borrow a copy of Liege And Lief by Fairport Convention and you should find out what all the fuss is about.

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2006, 10:17

Quote (familyjules @ Oct. 17 2006, 12:43)
Liege And Lief by Fairport Convention

Just to emphasise that this is THE ONE to try first. Accept no substitutes!

It's a curious fact that auctioneers also traditionally hate Gong's albums and are glad to see the back of them. Hence the auctioneers' phrase: "Going, Going, Gong!"
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2006, 07:43

Hey Alan

Check this video out - it's the Carthy/Hutchings era Steeleye doing Lark In The Morning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGHYl7Kv50g&search=steeleye%20span

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2006, 16:01

Quote (familyjules @ Oct. 24 2006, 12:43)
Check this video out - it's the Carthy/Hutchings era Steeleye doing Lark In The Morning!

Wow! Well, I've NEVER seen THAT before! Fascinating!

Do you think there's something not quite right with the aspect ratio of that video? I know they were a lot younger then, but I don't think I believe they were SO thin!! Is that Peter Knight over by the window, or is it a beanpole?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2006, 17:37

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 17 2006, 15:17)
Quote (familyjules @ Oct. 17 2006, 12:43)
Liege And Lief by Fairport Convention

Just to emphasise that this is THE ONE to try first. Accept no substitutes!

It's a curious fact that auctioneers also traditionally hate Gong's albums and are glad to see the back of them. Hence the auctioneers' phrase: "Going, Going, Gong!"

LOL!!! Didn't see that joke on here,until now
:D .

Liege and Lief is onorder as soon as I get some money.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2006, 09:28

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Oct. 24 2006, 17:37)
Liege and Lief is onorder as soon as I get some money.

I swear you won't regret it.

And then me and Alan will give you entirely contradictory advice as to what to buy next.  lol

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2006, 10:42

Quote (familyjules @ Oct. 25 2006, 14:28)
And then me and Alan will give you entirely contradictory advice as to what to buy next.  lol

A: Oh no we won't!
J: Oh yes we will!
A: Oh no we won't...

etc, etc....
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2006, 11:09

New Steeleye Span album just out, called 'Bloody Men'.

Two CDs, with the main album on the first CD, and a 16-minute 5-song suite centred on 'Ned Ludd' on the second CD.

The music seems very inventive to me on first listening - I'm amazed that they keep going at all - but I think this is the first album on which I've noticed this kind of weakness in Maddy's voice. It sounds a bit fragile, as if she was nursing it, and holding back when normally she'd sing certain passages with great power. Certainly 'Demon of the Well', which was devastingly powerful when I saw them do it live last year, is here more restrained and far less scary.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2006, 04:32

Well, Steeleye were at Preston Guildhall last night, and so were we - the penultimate show of their current tour. They seemed a bit frayed at the edges at times, and Maddy seemed to be nursing her voice, but there were some memorable performances all the same, including a stupendous delivery of 'Edward' from the Back in Line album.

Maddy did her usual stint selling raffle tickets for Cancer Research in the interval, and after the show I hung around in the Guildhall foyer hoping to get my copy of their new CD signed. Ken Nicol (guitar/vocal) appeared after a while - signed my CD, and said he thought Maddy would be coming shortly. But we waited and waited, and the foyer was emptying... and no sign of her. Most unusual.

We thought it might be worth checking in the hall itself, even though everyone had left - so I sneaked back up the stairs .... and sure enough Maddy was on the stage with a few roadies fiddling about with wires and things, and there was no one else about. Was she too busy to sign my CD, I asked? Of course not, she said, friendly as ever. She rummaged about, found a pen and signed it, after some earnest discussion of whether she should sign the front or the back. I said my usual thanks, and as I turned to go she tapped me on the shoulder and said 'Don't forget Peter!' And indeed there among the amplifier stacks was the demon fiddler himself, Peter Knight.

He looked up from what he was doing: 'It would give me the greatest pleasure to sign your CD!' he said, taking my felt tip pen and commencing his long, elaborate autograph, in which his name is signed as if the letters were a piece of musical notation. I said I thought his fiddling had been magnificent (it had - he'd excelled himself), and he beamed and shook my hand, and I left them to finish their clearing-up.

And here's the cd, with its three inscriptions. Maddy's is harder to see than the others, being written with a fine ball pen:

Triple-signed CD cover
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2007, 18:45

Glad to hear you enjoyed their concert,Alan. The triple signed CD must be nice to have. You are right about the signature of the fiddle player! It's as if he were holding a bow to sign with, not a pen!! Signatures are interesting, like handwriting. They reveal so much about our characters but in a signature it's harder to hide anything because it kind of sums up everything in one movement.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2007, 07:21

Ah so lucky. I'll need to brush up on steeleye span. They creep my mates out though  :/

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 17:01

Steeleye's Spring tour has just started: see here for dates and venues (scroll to the bottom of the web page and click on 'more'; and then click on 'more' yet again).
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 17:30

Alan how highly do you rate that "bloody men" cd.It sounds quite interesting especially that 2nd disc there.I was a big fan of Steeleye`s 70` material but I have`nt been too thrilled by much that they`ve recorded since.Not that I`ve heard everything they`ve put out since mind.It`s just what I have heard has`nt really had the same effect on me as a lot of their earlier material.

Have you heard the solo album from Maddy called Ravenchild?It`s an absolute belter of an album imo if you have`nt come across it?She does a version of Bold Poachers on there as well.Radically different to the Steeleye take on it but equally as affecting I think.The album came out in 1999 on the parkrecords label.I did have another album of her`s from about the same period on mini-disc that had something of a King Arthur concept going on to it.I`ve just looked in my drawer full of old mini discs though and I must`ve recorded over the top of it unfortunatly.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 18 2008, 20:49

Alan, it's funny how we seem to share the same opinions on so much of Steeleye Span, especially on the very early albums and on our very favourites (Time and Below the Salt). I'd add Storm Force 10 to my list of favourites as well, I think it's a spectacular album in many places. I also agree with you on Maddy Prior's voice. I would pick 'Isabel' from Back in Line and 'Underneath her Apron' from Time as her greatest performances. Both have a great power and quality that her earlier work doesn't have.

Seeing as how their heyday was 10 years before I was born I never thought I'd get to see Steeleye Span play live, but I had the great fortune of seeing them when they came to Perth in 2004. It was perhaps the best concert I've every been to; they were simply perfect. 'Let Her go Down' brought tears to my eyes, and watching Maddy and Pete duet on the beautiful and intimate 'Betsy Bell' was breathtaking. I also remember not being able to take my eyes off Rick Kemp all through 'Sir James the Rose'. It's great to hear that they're touring again, I'd love for them to come back to Australia.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 00:33

Quote (Dirk Star @ April 18 2008, 21:30)
Alan how highly do you rate that "bloody men" cd.It sounds quite interesting especially that 2nd disc there.

Well, I'd buy anything Steeleye made, just to be in their company again, so to speak. So 'Bloody Men' is an album I'm glad to have - but it's not among their strongest, by any means. It does have the notable track 'Demon of the Well', but this recording is a pale shadow of the blisteringly scary live performance I saw a year or two ago. The second CD was a little project of Rick Kemp's, separate from the main album - I don't like it. I'm not saying it's bad - it's just not my cup of tea.

Of the most recent albums, I'm fondest of 'They Called Her Babylon' - certainly better than 'Bloody Men', I'd say.

Have you heard the solo album from Maddy called Ravenchild?It`s an absolute belter of an album imo if you have`nt come across it?She does a version of Bold Poachers on there as well.Radically different to the Steeleye take on it but equally as affecting I think.The album came out in 1999 on the parkrecords label.I did have another album of her`s from about the same period on mini-disc that had something of a King Arthur concept going on to it.

Yes, I have both the Ravenchild and the Arthur albums. I also saw her during the Ravenchild tour which was really quite breathtaking. I can still see her on stage, as I write this, singing the Ravenchild material with astonishing power. Shivers up the spine. By comparison with that, I thought the album itself was a bit disappointing - but then, it's true to say that in general, I find that Maddy's voice doesn't seem to record well. It tends to sound a bit thin and shrill (her singing on Incantations is a bit that way, to my ears), and gives no real impression of the sheer richness and blow-you-away power that it has in live performance.

It's hard to be objective though. These guys have probably brought me more pleasure over the years than all other musicians added together.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 00:37

Quote (raven4x4x @ April 19 2008, 00:49)
'Let Her go Down' brought tears to my eyes

I understand that entirely. It's a tremendously moving song, and I've never heard them perform it badly. Peter Knight's masterpiece, surely.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 06:46

Actually Alan, I'd also add this performance of Black Jack Davey as one of Maddy's finest moments (in voice, if not in dress sense). And there's a wonderful version of Gaudete from the same concert.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 19 2008, 10:17

Yes, I have both the Ravenchild and the Arthur albums. I also saw her during the Ravenchild tour which was really quite breathtaking. I can still see her on stage, as I write this, singing the Ravenchild material with astonishing power. Shivers up the spine. By comparison with that, I thought the album itself was a bit disappointing - but then, it's true to say that in general, I find that Maddy's voice doesn't seem to record well. It tends to sound a bit thin and shrill (her singing on Incantations is a bit that way, to my ears), and gives no real impression of the sheer richness and blow-you-away power that it has in live performance.

Well Maddy`s voice does have it`s own unique tone and timbre to it no doubt.There are a lot of quite dark and foreboding qualities in her voice to me which probablly took me a little while to get used to in my early days of listening to her.Although a lot of that is probablly down to some of the bands source material as well I dare say.I kind of want to agree with you about some of her singing on Incantations although I feel it`s still an awesome performance none the less.I`ve never seen her sing live though so I`m unable to make some of the same comparisons as yourself unfortunatly.

Again with Ravenchild I can see what your driving at there because her voice does tend to waver a little bit in places.I actually think that adds to some of it though myself. Especially on the last track Great Silkie and Scorched Earth as well I love that track.I`m pretty convinced that some of her own slightly wavering almost atonal quality to her voice is there by design a lot of the time though.I`m thinking of the way she ends a lot of those almost out of breath lines to the Hiawatha section of Incantations.Where a lot of her own dark and unique mannerisms take on a life of their own to me almost.Obviously because her voice has aged somewhat now some of those qualities/fallabilities were exagerated a little on some of the Ravenchild album.And I notice you`ve made referance to her voice ageing earlier in this thread.Again though I actually find some of that quite engaging to hear a lot of the time though.And there are a number of other artists both male and female (who are probablly around the same age as Maddy) where I do quite like to hear that whole aged and slightly frailer elements to their voice now.It seems to add new dimensions and perspectives on their more current work to me in a way.Maybe it`s just that feeling of relative linear progression or something I can`t quite put my finger on what it actually is really.Again though I`ve never heard her sing live sadly so I`m maybe only saying stuff here that you probablly already agree with to an extent.

Weary Cutters from Commoner`s Crown is one of my own favourite little moments from her.What a great spine tingling track that was.
Profile PM 
71 replies since April 28 2006, 06:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net