Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: LP version & CD version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 16:41

The one thing I find really annoying in the original mix is the beginning of the storm section. It begins with that Earth-shattering monster mammoth chord, and then it fades and the actual storm seems to come from the bottom of a well on the back of my house. Even the orchestral recording seems to cut to a completely different take in the exact same spot.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 16:49

I think the orchestral recording you've heard is like that simply because it was cobbled together by a fan from several partial recordings. That section certainly doesn't match terribly well, the acoustics are rather different, and the recordings are out of tune with each other...

I'd agree about the thunderstorm in the original mix - that level drop has always felt wrong to me. One of its effects is that the detail in that section becomes less clear, which I feel works against it.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 16:57

Quote (Guest @ Jan. 02 2005, 15:38)
You could make yourself a copy of this to CD... there is also a seller on ebay that comes out every once in a while with a CD-R mastered from a perfect vinyl.

Well, this is the main problem with free bootlegs... there's always someone trying to take some profit from other's work. This mastering from a non-played-before HR vinyl was done by Martin Bartosik. Have a look at this interview where he explains the full process:
http://members.tripod.com/OzWolf/ohr.html
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2005, 21:05

Thanks all for clearing this up for me. I will take a listen to my LP, but if it is the original mix I probably won't be able to get a good quality master of it onto a CD. The only way I can record from LP at the moment is using my brother's guitar lead to plug the computer into the headphone plug of the amplfier (it's an old amp with the huge headphone socket), which unfortunately gives me a mono recording. It's better than nothing I suppose.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2005, 17:59

I'm only familiar with the remixed Hergest Ridge.  I was given a taped recording of this a number of years ago. I subsequently wore this out with repeated plays.  I recently found the "Boxed" LP's secondhand,  I had ordered the HDCD of HR, this turned up on Monday. I was expecting this to be the original recording, but now know the remixed HR is used on the CD reissues.  (I thought for  a
horrible moment that I might be a "cloth eared nincompoop !!  :O  :/ ).  I'd like to hear the orig HR for comparison. I guess I'll have to try and find the LP secondhand, it would be good to have for the collection  ;) .

Now I've got the CD I CAN  now play it when I'm out and about.playing Hergest Ridge , whilst sitting on top of Hergest Ridge sounds great :D , into the bargain I can now keep my "Boxed" LP's in near on immaculate condition :cool:

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2005, 07:53

Well you learn something new everyday. Hergest Ridge is one of only 5 MO albums I haven't yet bought on CD (Discovery, QE2, Exposed and The Killing Fields are the others). I never knew that CD versions of Hergest Ridge are not the same as the original mix on my ancient vinyl copy.

Time to buy the CD and compare methinks!  :D

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2005, 18:01

Quote (T4 @ Mar. 28 2005, 12:53)
Well you learn something new everyday. Hergest Ridge is one of only 5 MO albums I haven't yet bought on CD (Discovery, QE2, Exposed and The Killing Fields are the others). I never knew that CD versions of Hergest Ridge are not the same as the original mix on my ancient vinyl copy.

Me too!!!  I only found out two weeks or so ago that there's two versions of Hergest Ridge :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2005, 11:12

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Mar. 29 2005, 18:01)
Quote (T4 @ Mar. 28 2005, 12:53)

Me too!!!  I only found out two weeks or so ago that there's two versions of Hergest Ridge :)

I ordered a copy yesterday afternoon. Should arrive within a couple of days.  :D I'm really quite excited about it now as I don't play Hergest Ridge as often as I should as I have survived with a vinyl copy for the last 25 years  :O

:cool:

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
27 replies since July 28 2004, 08:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net