Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Lost Manor recording.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 16 2002, 15:48

I need to seriously rack the brains of any Oldfield fans who seriously know their stuff. I've looked elsewhere on the net and can't find any answers.
Background to this mystery.
In the late 80's early 90's I was studying photography at a college in London. A lecturer on my course noticed I was a big Mike Oldfield fan and told me he briefly shared a flat in the early 70's with a girl who was dating Mike Oldfield round about the time or shortly after TB was released.

I though my lecturer was winding me up but he was quite serious and remembers Mike comming round to visit quite often. Infact he told me he had an unmixed vinyl test pressing of TB that Mike had left at the flat one day and he would give me a shot of it if I promised to look after it. The next day he brought it in and I rushed home that night thinking I had the ultimate Oldfield collectors item in my hand.

So I put it on my turntable and sat down to listen but it wasn't TB it was an 20 minuit insrumental like TB but it certainaly wasn't TB. Still thinking it was Mike (maybe a TB demo or something) I made a few recordings and popped one of them in the post to David Porter who ran the Airborne fanzine at the time.

A few nights later David rang me at home back in Scotland and told me the dissapointing news that I didn't own a TB demo recording but had nevertheless something quite interesting.
What I had was a recording produced by Simon Heyworth made shortly after TB with Steve Hillage on guitar and featuring a few other Manor artists (possibly with Steve Broughton on drums). It was a lovely piece of music very obviously and very deliberatly ripping off TB but really good all the same ( incidently it was during my conversation with David that he told me the exciting news that the TB2 premiere was going to happen just down the road from me, he had just found this out himself)

Unfortunately I have since lost my recording of this little gem and was wondering if anybody out there knows what it was called and if it is available anywhere on any format. I'm sure David told me it was released as an EP or something similar shortly after TB became a hit.

Every Oldfield fan has a great story in them, thats mine.

ps If you want to know I did ask my lecturer what he remembered of Mike and all he said was that he thought he was really odd as the only thing he ever did when he came to visit was sit in a big rocking chair in the corner of the room and never speak to anyone.
Profile PM 
0 replies since Oct. 16 2002, 15:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net