Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Long,long record< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gorjanbak Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 27 2000, 02:41

Yes.After all it is a long record because for it's realisation year ( 1978 ).But it's realy great. smile When I heard first time , last year I loved most the 1-st song.But now I like most the 2-nd and the 4-th song.The 3-rd is a little boring to me. frown Whell after all in a big record there is a lot of things.But I recomend's you the songs 'Ode to Cynthia' and 'Hymn to Diana'. wink I'm asking my self why does Mike didn't make so long records like in the past? confused It will be great plesaure of everybody to hear that Mike Oldfield will make a big record like Incantation in the future.Unthil that time we only can wait. cool
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2000, 10:08

Yeah, Incantations is fantastic. And it never ever occured to me that anything in it was boring! As for what you say, why doesn't Mike do such long records anymore, I think the answer is simple: because he's already done them. While it's not impossible that he'll do a piece of such length again, I don't recommend waiting for it smile and I certainly don't recommend expecting it to be like Incantations biggrin!
Profile PM WEB 
gorjanbak Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2000, 15:36

No.I'm asking this question becaus his last 'millennium project' was to short mad and I dont wont in this times where normal records are around 60 minutes some 45 min of music and because of that the 'Millennium Bell' was his biggest project like Mike says.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2001, 13:53

how long is this album? I only have the exposed version of incantations, and i think the time for that was around 58 mintues or so...

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2001, 19:23

Tubularbills: The full version is a little longer than 72 minutes. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 04 2001, 19:35

Well, good question. If I plop in the CD (my copy is Caroline--Carol 1854-2), 72.53 is what displays. If I properly add up the time displayed on the cover, it totals 72.44.
The vinyl import is slightly different, listing times of 19.05, 19.34, 16.59, and 16.59, for a total of 72.37. At any rate, one can say that Incantations is well over 72 minutes. BTW, I had gotten in the habit of listening to part 1, 3, 2, 4, in that order while running, but listen to it in its Mike-given sequence at other times.

M-C

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2001, 00:18

It's that long?!?! wow! but, what i'm more surprised is that the exposed version is so short! i mean, to cut off around 24 minutes of an album? i'm kind of surprised. the exposed version also just lumped parts 1 & 2 together as well as with parts 3 & 4. strange.

in my previous post, i said that the exposed version was around 58 minutes, but when i meant to say 48 minutes.

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 05 2001, 05:42

To drag out something which was said ages ago that I didn't reply to at the time...

Gorjanbak asked why Mike can't make long records, like in the past, and complained that TMB, at around 45 minutes, was too short.

To put things in perspective, Incantations is indeed just over 72 minutes long. That's quite unusual, though. Tubular Bells is somewhere around 45 minutes, Hergest Ridge is just over 40, Ommadawn is around 35...The majority of Mike's albums have actually been around the 40 minute mark (with a few stretching to around 50). It took Mike 12 years before he released an album of anywhere near Incantations length - the 60 minute Amarok. In his WEA era, The Songs of Distant Earth was almost 56 minutes (yes, I was actually sad enough to check...).
His older albums tend to seem like they're longer than they are, perhaps because of the way they're written to contain such a diverse range of parts - Ommadawn seems to be very condensed in that respect, with a lot of feelings, ideas and experiences fitted together into what's really a fairly short space of time. Incantations, on the other hand seems quite drawn out, with most things made as long as they can be - which is probably why it stretches to nearly 73 minutes...
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2001, 17:28

Hahaha!

<evil mode on> Well, Korg, he could have included the ENTIRE "Hiawatha's Departure" section of SOH. (But thank goodness he didn't.) He could have repeated the entire thing in Anishinaabemowin. <evil mode off>

Actually, I'd have liked to have seen pieces of part IV expanded....maybe just before Cynthia's section, and maybe slightly within it. Though I dunno. Sounds pretty good "as is."

Tubularbills--I sometimes like the expedited version, er, Exposed, because I don't always have time to listen to Inc-original. I love the piano in Part I (which you don't get on the original), and appreciate the abbreviated Hiawatha in Part II, but miss some key s sections of Part IV. Still, I'm glad both versions exist. Sometime you may enjoy exploring the differences between them.

M-C

--------------
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2001, 23:51

I still have yet to get this album. d'oh! But when i do, i'll diffenately give it a listen and compare it with the Exposed version. i liked the exposed version, mainly cause it's live, and it sounds live. i've heard live albums before and sometimes they can be quite awful to listen to. but still lookin for incantations in music stores around here (usa), and now that i've moved away to Iowa, i'm having an even harder time finding stuff than i did in Chicago. ugh!

--------------
Profile PM 
Dervish_D Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2001, 12:43

I think that one main intension of "Incantations" is meditation. When I listen to it, I can easily notice slight alterations in the build up. So to speak, I become more conscious to all that. That is only possible because you have those repetitions. I have that constant stream of sounds, something to "rely on" and thus I am possible to concentrate on details.
Or suddenly my thoughts go their own way, think about the last days or something like that.
Well, actually the length of "Incantations" has IMO a specific function.
Whereas "Amarok" is just 60 minutes because Mike wanted it to be exactly that. Again in my point of view, Mike is cramping up to get it there and on the "Incantations" the length is created more "naturally". However I still think "Amarok" is also in the second half a very interesting and captivating piece of music.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2001, 18:08

Dervish [OT]: What second half? confused

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2001, 22:54

Tubularbills--Iowa, eh? You're next door to me! I've never seen Incantations in any music shop from Quincy to St. Louis to Chicago! Even the Virgin store on Michigan Avenue doesn't have everything you'd expect, and you have to also check the import section to find everything in the store by Mike. Every time I've been there in the last year they've had lots of Ommadawns and TBs though.

Online ordering could be an option, e.g., CDNow, A & B Sound, or the Artist Shop. I'm sure there are lots of other suggestions out there! CDNow lists a remastered Incantations import as well as an Incantations 2000, which appears to be a remaster of the Caroline 1991 release (I hadn't realised there were two remasters and am a bit confused). I didn't check the other sites.

If I go into a trance, I seem to recall discussion regarding a subtle but high pitched sound on part I. Wonder which remaster?

M-C, confused

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 07 2001, 06:15

Repetition is a form of change...

So says one of the cards in Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt's legendary 'oblique strategies'. Not that it has a huge relevance here, I just occasionally like to drop these things in wink.

The discussion about the high pitched sound, in these forums at least, regarded the original CD release. More people have complained of hearing it since the remasters were released - I think the remastering made the sound more obvious.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2001, 14:32

Haha! Trances are faster but less reliable than going back and reading threads.<-;

I'm bothered by "inaudible" alarm systems and am the only human in the house to hear the hum of our TV. But mercifully, I've never heard the high pitch sound running through Incantations.

I'm going to order Inc-remastered and hope to miss the "sound" once again.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in any way between the Caroline and the imported Virgin remasters (other than the import is twice as expensive)?? (If you're in the UK, is Caroline the import?) <-;

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere in the forums, but I'm not finding.

Thanks!

M-C

--------------
Profile PM 
deepsoul Offline

Posted: April 18 2002, 12:10

I have to agree. Incantations would be something I would recommend were it not for the repetitive nature. Personally I think the first half of side 4 is not up to much. I like part one opening and diana-luna-lucina stuff alot. Feels like one is on a beach with bid breakers!
I think the highlights of this record could be cut down to 30 minutes, although, that said it is a nice atmospheric stuff to have in the backgroud. The atmosphere is quite inventive. Melacholy and maternal are words that spring to mind. One of Oldfield's strengths is that you can project so much into the music.

--------------
:-DD
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 18 2002, 18:54

For me, part 4 is the best...

I'm mesmerised by the repetetive vibraphones and the way the ambience changes both beneath and above the surface.

This is what makes the forums interesting. Life would be boring if we all had exactly the same tastes!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
16 replies since Dec. 27 2000, 02:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net