Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: London 2012 Olympic Games on DVD/Blu-ray< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 18 2012, 08:57

This one's creeping up on us. The DVD...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/London-...._m_h__1

...and the region-free Blu-ray...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp....=468294
... as they countdown to a release on the 29th of October.

At the moment, there don't appear to be any editions more suited to an international audience.  Your delight at this purchase will be conditional on how much you enjoyed the entirety of the Opening Ceremony, any part of the Closing Ceremony, or the perception of the Games themselves from the view of the host broadcaster.  With a bit of patience, the IOC's vigilance will eventually slip and you'll be able to watch the alternate edit of Second to the Right... as uploaded or shared by someone - the commentary track as well.

You don't have to watch the other discs if you just buy it for one ceremony but if you were, for example, one
of Mike's Slovak fans who took time off work to watch the Hochschorner twins win their fourth successive gold medal, you may not wish to see the British coverage of the bronze they achieved behind the home crews.  In other potentially toe-curling moments, you might be a proud and (at the very least) bi-lingual Dutch viewer watching the names of your countrymen being taken to strange new places by our commentators in athletics, swimming and cycling.

All obstacles passed, I would guess that we will get between one and two minutes of discussion about Mike's involvement in Danny Boyle's and Frank Cottrell Boyce's commentary, perhaps more if they acknowledge each movement of the music.  I won't be first to find out as I don't think I'll be buying until the end of that week, but buy it I will. :)

[ Majorly edited, after I accidentally posted the first sentence only...  :O  :/  ]

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2012, 13:35

Has anyone got this yet?

It looks like the Opening Ceremony will be a major improvement on the (British) televised coverage; from what people are saying about it on Amazon maybe a slightly different edit and with the all important option to watch without the commentary.

If that's the case I shall certainly be shelling out for the blu ray  :)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 02 2012, 20:35

The DVD now bought and watched (a bit), I can now tell you that there isn't that much that is alternate in Mike's sequence.  I'll run a comparison once I'm able to, but if there is any extra footage of the band, it doesn't amount to more than a second or so.  A shot of the audience pixels welcoming JK Rowling by name as she starts speakiing was as major a change as I noticed, and I've a feeling some shots of the villains were new.  Otherwise, what with all the rehearsals they must have been relatively happy that Hamish Hamilton and the editors were capturing the essence of the performances.

My commentary prediction looks to have been generous! ;)  - reckon it checks in at about a minute's worth.  More would have been nice but, as you might expect, there are a lot of elements present to comment upon!  I'll transcribe the comments in the next few days - unless someone else volunteers first - but there are two main parts, coinciding with the long shots of Mike and the other musicians in the TB, part 1 and Far Above the Clouds sections.  Danny Boyle expresses a fondness for what Tubular Bells meant to him, and notes that everyone seems to like the Villains' music, whilst Frank Cottrell Boyce is impressed at the variations achieved from one track.

I've not got onto disc 2 for the second part of the ceremony yet (it cuts off during the parade of nations), and I have to confess that I'm not yet as familiar with other sections to spot truly major changes to the visuals.  Agricultural workers here, factory chimneys there, the Wicked Wizard of the Web with a house on top of him... it's what I remembered and loved.  The Isles of Wonder soundtrack is a lovely thing to have, but it has omissions of course.  The soundtrack on the night was pretty bewitching, and if I knew that I wasn't getting the mash-up British pop and rock, it was a bit of a surprise that David Holmes' I Heard Wonders ( as identified way after the event! ) didn't make the cut.  Seeing the album before the ceremony then hearing it could be downloaded immediately after the event, it was on hearing the percussive exuberance of the song that accompanied the Olympic Torch Relay that I decided I would definitely look out for the CD.  Not sure what difference it makes on my system, but watching David Beckham give Jade Bailey a lift down the Thames in 5.1, with the volume turned up has been a lot of fun! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Dave_Block Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2012, 22:31

I purchased the 2 CD 'Isles of Wonder' release last month and was not disappointed. Mike's contribution (Trk 5) was my main goal but I have to admit that 'And I Will Kiss' (Trk 4) has become a real favourite, especially in the car. I'm over in (Upper) Canada and the opening really encapsulates the 'British' history we were taught in the mid-fifties. It's not part of my regular vocabulary but I was totally 'gob-smacked' when I watched the co-responding footage on the opening ceremony! I'm guessing that the CD soundtrack is actually taken from the pre-opening sound checks, nice and crisp without background noise.
I also got the full blu-ray DVD set and enjoyed the opening visuals again but the commentary was still annoying (although not as bad as what we had to endure over here during Mike's segment. Who knew that this Rowling chick wrote something called 'Harry Potter'? Thank goodness they pointed that out on the Canadian network...).
All in all, well done England! I'm so glad that Mike's contributions have been recognized!
Cheers, Dave
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2012, 04:17

Quote (Dave_Block @ Nov. 18 2012, 04:31)
I also got the full blu-ray DVD set and enjoyed the opening visuals again but the commentary was still annoying (although not as bad as what we had to endure over here during Mike's segment.

You can remove the commentary. Take a look at the menu!
;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 19 2012, 05:42

Quote (Dave_Block @ Nov. 18 2012, 03:31)
I'm guessing that the CD soundtrack is actually taken from the pre-opening sound checks, nice and crisp without background noise.

Apparently they recorded all the music that was going to be used in the Opening Ceremony and it was running alongside the live elements (obviously not everything was played live on the night) in case they lost audio from the stadium for some reason. That is probably what happened when Paul McCartney seemed to start Hey Jude on top of himself. It also gave them music for all the other performers to rehearse to.

Anyway, the Isles of Wonder CD is a studio recording.
Profile PM 
neil-h Offline

Posted: July 23 2013, 03:27

I've just spotted that the Director's Cut of the Opening Ceremony is being shown on BBC Three this coming Saturday (27th July) at 7.00pm. Not sure if this is an edit without commentary or not, but it will be good to see Mike's performance again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037w9df
Profile PM 

Posted: July 27 2013, 08:00

Director's Cut - Redux Version!!!  I hazard a guess at this being a mix of the DVD version and the edited BBC repeat from mid-August last year.  There's no simultaneous scheduling on the Red Button channels that I've seen so I don't think there'll be anything other than the orignal commentary unless they've elected to add an Audio Description element.

About that promise of a transcript...  I was taking it in steps, trying not to lose any love for the subject, when my laptop suddenly wouldn't allow any access to the installed word processor.  I finally got back in recently, but I haven't been inspired to do the other half yet; story of my life... :/   I was actually more bothered about losing Fanny's Diary, in case that was finally deleted from the site before I had a chance to preserve it again.  I really should buy a printer.

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
7 replies since Oct. 18 2012, 08:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net