Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Listened To Amorok For The First Time Last Night< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
onion Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 27 2007, 00:18

The many first times I was annoyed by some parts of Amarok, so I decided to cut these segments out. The whole M. Thatcher combo-thingy dingeling part was first in the trash and just some few others. The Amarok I have left is about 6 min. shorter (now 54 min long) and now I really like listing to it...I enjoy the "whole" Amarok and it is on my top 5 albums..

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 06:40

Bee, about 20 mins. She was not a happy bunny.  :(

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 15:08

Quote (EeToN @ June 26 2007, 08:19)
Ah yes, that became the Let There Be Light main theme on TSODE. :)

Oh, good! Thanks, EeTon.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: July 13 2007, 10:50

Having only just got Amarok, my first listen was the other night while I was in bed.  Definitely not one to fall asleep to I don't think - call me a wuss but I got the wiggins after half an hour and had to turn it off!
So I thought I'd try again in nice, friendly (if ridiculously rainy) daylight.
It's incredible!  So disconnected and almost discordant in places yet somehow it fits together into this one perfect whole.
But though I appreciate it's brilliance, it's still at the "intriguingly weird" stage for me really, but give it a couple more listens and I think it may just be one of my favourite MO albums.  :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 13 2007, 15:15

Ebony, I like your "intriguingly weird" description. A nice, friendly, rainy day sounds like a great setting for soaking in Amarok.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 13 2007, 15:23

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 13 2007, 20:15)
A nice, friendly, rainy day sounds like a great setting for soaking in Amarok.

... and also, for soaking in an Anorak.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 13 2007, 15:54

Quote (Alan D @ July 13 2007, 15:23)
... and also, for soaking in an Anorak.

:laugh: I had to look up the definition for "anorak" - we don't get that word much, here.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: July 13 2007, 15:59

A nice, friendly, rainy day sounds like a great setting for soaking in Amarok.

Yep, it was.  And far preferable to the soaking in an anorak alternative!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: July 20 2007, 02:08

TO be honest the album was begginning to become annoying, I'd like bits of it and hated other bits.  Once you've heard the ending Thatcher section a few times, well, I don't want to hear it again.  Yet the recurring guitar theme is wonderful.  Anyway I've edited it down to 11 minutes 15 sections and now I love it!  I had to mix a few bits together as the joins didn't work but it's OK for me.  It might appear a bit more on my playlist now.  I know some fans will be appalled.  Sorry!
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: July 20 2007, 03:29

Anyway I've edited it down to 11 minutes 15 sections and now I love it!  I had to mix a few bits together as the joins didn't work but it's OK for me.  It might appear a bit more on my playlist now.  I know some fans will be appalled.

I'm appalled!  :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: July 20 2007, 08:11

I'm appalled!

I second that! :p

TO be honest the album was begginning to become annoying, I'd like bits of it and hated other bits.  Once you've heard the ending Thatcher section a few times, well, I don't want to hear it again.  Yet the recurring guitar theme is wonderful.  Anyway I've edited it down to 11 minutes 15 sections and now I love it!  I had to mix a few bits together as the joins didn't work but it's OK for me.  It might appear a bit more on my playlist now.  I know some fans will be appalled.  Sorry!

It must've been really annoying to edit it from an hour to just over 11 mins!  I'm curious, what parts did you actually keep in?
Personally I don't see how Amarok can be annoying, it's not like it's overly repetitive or anything.  It took me a couple of listens to notice that themes did recur, and even now each time I listen I hear something new.
But then again I'm incredibly biased cause it's one of my favourite albums!
:cool:
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 20 2007, 09:36

It's not easy to explain why I like this album so much.
It's simply amazingly one of its kind.
I think I heard Amarok for the first time in the later 90's. I had just became unemployed and was in kind of a low mood and a bit tired...mentally. I was quite bored when I first picked up Amarok but I carefully read the text that someone has written in the CD sleeve so I thought -wow, this is some kind of adventure. So I took it really seriously to begin with. The sound level is quite low at the beginning so the volume went up and I almost hit the ceiling when the distorted guitar suddenly kicks in !! That's a part of Amarok that I'm personally not very found of. But then it gets more and more weird...and  interesting. I was laughing hystericaly about all the weirdness in the music of Amarok and I thought that the guy composing this "work of art" must be completely out of his mind or have a really good portion of crazy humor.
When I heard it for the fifth time I knew where I had to take it easy with the volume level and I could "explore" all those lower parts with all their sound details and it is like a tension is building up, like i.e. the part where you hear a pair of walking shoes against a hard floor (I love that moment) and right when you're thinking that a mighty final is about to occur, it just shut the door right infront of your nose and insted something completely unexpected is happening...
It's almost like if the composition itself is laughing at you..."tricked again". :p That I think is one thing that makes Amarok so special to me. It's almost like a really weird movie made out of music. It would not surprice me if Amarok somewhat have inspired film makers in the 90's to make movies like Pulp Fiction, Short Cuts etc. where the story is shopped up in smaller sequenses and put randomly in order of time. Sometimes I wonder about all these small pieces, fragments of unique music in Amarok...wouldn't it be possible for Mike to make longer tracks out of them? I mean some of them are really nice and I would absolutely love to hear longer parts...but then again, maybe the whole idea of "Amarok" gets spoiled? I dunno...
TSODE I think also had its moments when the composition had a kind of "main path" on which it returned to now and then, also like Tubular Bells...infact I guess that's quite typical Mike Oldfield and I love it.
"Charming, you know I really feel I could dance bwahaahaahaa............*crash*".   :D

Scary? That's interesting because right now I think Omadawn is more spooky to me. ;)

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: July 20 2007, 14:31

yes I must admit I was a bit suprised at the 11minutes.  Maybe I should take another look.....
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 20 2007, 15:16

Ha ha...think of it as ones first glas of beer.
It takes a few of them to really appreciate it.  ;)

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 20 2007, 23:33

Quote (captainjjb @ July 20 2007, 02:08)
I've edited it down to 11 minutes 15 sections and now I love it!

At first, I thought you might have meant to say that you'd cut out 11 minutes.  :laugh: Even onion kept 54 minutes.

--------------
Profile PM 
34 replies since May 10 2006, 08:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net