Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Listened To Amorok For The First Time Last Night< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicToTheRescue Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 10 2006, 08:47

Well,

It started well enough, and I thought after around 10 minutes that this album is his finest...the moment of weirdness, the voice "happy" ...great great great...then.....I lost the plot with it, it then drifted away from me and I found it slighlty uncomfortable, then it came back....then Maggie started on about end of begginings and I liked that....

How any listens does it take to 'get into this'? I ask because it could be absolutley great - but at the moment it is not......

Comments appreciated.

MTTR
Profile PM 
Redvers Offline

Posted: May 10 2006, 09:01

Actually played it today and felt wonderful at the end. It's one of my favourites, but I couldn't listen all the way through first time. After a couple of plays it suddenly seemed to gel and now it all sounds wonderful - different - but wonderful. But some take less, some more and some never!

One comment from someone sums it up for me though - at the end you have a big smile on your face.

--------------
Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
Profile PM 
MusicToTheRescue Offline

Posted: May 10 2006, 09:47

Yeah, it appears to be that sort of album...

'Happy' - man, that made me jump!

I felt that sections of Amarok - such as that piece (happy) have influenced some of Radioheads later work....do you agree?
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: May 10 2006, 13:10

Quote (MusicToTheRescue @ May 10 2006, 08:47)
How any listens does it take to 'get into this'?

This will vary greatly from listener to listener. There are fans on this board who still can't get into Amarok after years of trying. I personally was hooked on my first listen.

-Carsten
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: May 10 2006, 17:04

I've only recently heard it (I was into Oldfield back in the 70's and 80's) and despite the old digital sounds being rather dated it is an intriguing piece with some lovely sections.  I’m still getting to know it.  It’s lots of fun, feels like I’m going out with an old girlfriend….
Profile PM 
Redvers Offline

Posted: May 11 2006, 06:08

Quote (MusicToTheRescue @ May 10 2006, 09:47)
I felt that sections of Amarok - such as that piece (happy) have influenced some of Radioheads later work....do you agree?

Ummm.....can't say I've listened to a lot of Radiohead - especially not to make a meaningful comment!

Being in my fifties, I've tended not to listen to much of the more mainstream output over the last couple of decades but get to hear it when some of the 'younger ones' at work share it with me - or even when some on the board recommend someone/something and I'll give it a listen.

--------------
Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 11 2006, 07:18

Quote (MusicToTheRescue @ May 10 2006, 08:47)
It started well enough, and I thought after around 10 minutes that this album is his finest...the moment of weirdness, the voice "happy" ...great great great...then.....I lost the plot with it, it then drifted away from me and I found it slighlty uncomfortable, then it came back....then Maggie started on about end of begginings and I liked that....

MTTR - I know what you mean. I've listened to this album many times, but I can't remember half of it. After ca 10 minutes it's just a blur of repeated themes and small (quite insignificant) "miniatures" that I quickly lose track of. In that way it reminds me more of the original Tubular Bells than any of Mike's other albums.

I think Amarok is very good. Many great melodies and wonderful production, but my overall impression is that Mike was a bit unfocused at the time. And if I remembers it right Mike actually produced Amarok and Heaven's Open simultaneously - so that could explain a few things. Plus both these albums were done in order to get out of a record contract, which surely didn't help.

But then again I'm a minority in this opinion - most fans just love Amarok! My attention span is to short sadly...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: May 12 2006, 11:49

I remeber the 1st time I heard it!!
it was at school during the lunch brake...
:zzz:  :cool: IT WAS SO GOOD!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: May 12 2006, 12:31

Quote (MusicToTheRescue @ May 10 2006, 14:47)
then.....I lost the plot with it, it then drifted away from me and I found it slighlty uncomfortable

In my case, I got the whole "plot" after 2nd or 3rd listening. For some people new to Mike's music it is hard to believe, but Amarok IS one consistent piece, with the same themes coming back and again. It definitely shouldn't be divided into separate tracks, like for example TSODE, which is also played continiously, but splitting it particular tracks is reasonable.

cheerz
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: May 12 2006, 15:24

For me it's somewhere between 3 to 4 listens. Took a while for me to appreciate it. :p

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
AmarokFae Offline

Posted: May 12 2006, 17:58

I LOVE Amarok. Hence my name. But here's a secret... I can't listen to it alone at night... I'm easily freaked out....

--------------
*+*Faerie Kisses*+*
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 14 2007, 02:59

I've tried Amarok a few times, but haven't yet gotten into it. Its disruptive character puts me off, so it's a big challenge to get through it. I'm still hopeful, however, since some of my current favorite pieces took me time to appreciate.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: June 15 2007, 08:23

I was studing for my final exams in law in 1990 when Amarok was released. I bougbt it on tape cassette and I was beyond words, although alas, not quite literally as I wrote this short review of it for David Porter's Fan magazine Airborne, published July 1990.

..."The nicest thing about MO's music is that one never knows what to expect next. The sheer variety is unparallelled in modern music. Amarok reminds me of a day when the weather never stops changing; when one sets foot outside and is drowned in rainfall; when one dries out, puts on waterproofs, an extra sweater and strong shoes, tucks one's umbrella under an arm and promptly departs into bright sunshine. It is substantially different, but it does incorporate pastiches from previous albums, woven and grafted with skill, flair and precision, not to mention a liberal sprinkling of humour. The whole atmosphere is very positive and relaxed. nevertheless following Ommadawn in channeling and unleashing that phenomenal creative energy which makes me think Oldfield composes on top of a rainbow. I feared he had forgotten how to produce a portrait after painting so many postcards. He hasn't. It is a masterpiece."

That still sums up my feelings. It is a unique album. As Q magazine said of Tubular Bells 3: it could be nobody else.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 15 2007, 14:05

Quote (Marky @ June 15 2007, 13:23)
nevertheless following Ommadawn in channeling and unleashing that phenomenal creative energy which makes me think Oldfield composes on top of a rainbow.

~

I feared he had forgotten how to produce a portrait after painting so many postcards. He hasn't. It is a masterpiece."

Oh how I love that! I absolutely agree with you, so beautifully put, rainbows etc lovely images!

And the part about postcards and producing a portrait , I liked that too. We all eagerly await the new masterpiece.

One thing I'd love to do, and it is quite impossible for me, is to be able to listen to Amarok again as if I had never heard it before, like the very first time. It was & is amazing & will always be a real favourite of mine. :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: June 16 2007, 04:30

Quote (bee @ June 15 2007, 18:05)
Quote (Marky @ June 15 2007, 13:23)
nevertheless following Ommadawn in channeling and unleashing that phenomenal creative energy which makes me think Oldfield composes on top of a rainbow.

~

I feared he had forgotten how to produce a portrait after painting so many postcards. He hasn't. It is a masterpiece."

Oh how I love that! I absolutely agree with you, so beautifully put, rainbows etc lovely images!

And the part about postcards and producing a portrait , I liked that too. We all eagerly await the new masterpiece.

One thing I'd love to do, and it is quite impossible for me, is to be able to listen to Amarok again as if I had never heard it before, like the very first time. It was & is amazing & will always be a real favourite of mine. :)

I agree about that statement and Ommadawn , Bee  :)  :D , but for some reason Amarok I find scary, possibly as I tried listening to it for the first time when I was driving. No matter how much I try I can't get into it.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 06:23

I recently decided that if Amarok was worth my attention at all, I wasn't going to wait another seventeen years to find out, so I gave it another go the other night. It was still odd, but it was no longer painful. I actually didn't recall much from my previous attempts, but I was dreading the Thatcher section. It wasn't as interminable as I remembered it to be. In fact, the only truly rough part, this time, was the weirdness that comes in around the fifteen minute mark - which was when I paused to grab a Hefeweizen. After resuming, I nearly snorted it through my nose when I got to the part with the yawning. I'm beginning to see where people are coming from with their praise of this work. I listened to Amarok three times that night.

:)

There is something that's niggling me... a brief tune that pops up at 8:37, 8:50, and 9:43... it's familiar and I feel I ought to know what other album it appears in. Can anyone enlighten me?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 08:19

Quote (Sweatpea @ June 26 2007, 12:23)
There is something that's niggling me... a brief tune that pops up at 8:37, 8:50, and 9:43... it's familiar and I feel I ought to know what other album it appears in. Can anyone enlighten me?

Ah yes, that became the Let There Be Light main theme on TSODE. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 09:26

My wife likes some Oldfield, but not all. The first time I put Amarok on for her she said "turn that bl00dy racket off". I said "ok, just let me listen to this track!" hehehe  :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 18:42

Quote (CuNimb @ June 26 2007, 14:26)
I said "ok, just let me listen to this track!" hehehe  :D

That is really funny! How long before she realised?!!

I don't know another living soul that likes Amarok, apart from you all here. I think you have to know a bit about Mike's music in general before you can fully accept it as something of note.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 20:07

I know I've said it here before, but Amarok is probably my all-time favorite MO CD.  The first time I listened to it it just blew me away.  Amazing and awe inspiring.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
34 replies since May 10 2006, 08:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net