Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Links between 'Thick as a Brick' and 'Amarok', Comparable by some point of view?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 31 2012, 08:56

The great news of the issue of 'Thick as a Brick 2' by Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson, following up to the great album recorded 40 years ago, back in 1972, added to my like of second parts (TB2 was my favourite album of all time before TB 2003 appeared) has made me go back to listening to 'Thick as a Brick' quite a lot. And my conclussion is it's the nearest comparison you can make from a music album to 'Amarok'.

It's not obviously the case I think Mike has inspired himself in the great Jethro Tull's album, because I really think nothing on earth has inspired 'Amarok' apart from a bit of 'Ommadawn' and  Mike's own musical ideas and identity.

But listening to this great prog/rock album it's quite a musical rollercoaster experience (and not to forget it was a one long-tracked album which was made in 1972) and although obviously there are lyrics there, as well as a standard rock band instrumental lineup, there are quite a lot of musical similarities to 'Amarok':

- The non-stop flow of endless complex musical ideas.
- The constante change of pace and time signatures.
- The almost total absence of synthesisers.
- A lot of: electric guitars, pianos, glockenspiels, flutes, acoustic guitars, organs, and a certain pastoral or even countryside feel to the music.
- Originality, fantasy and emotions all the way through.
- A lot of madness as well in many parts!!
- One long track on non-stop music.

Well, it's all up to opinions and ideas, and here you are the link if you never listened to 'Thick as a Brick'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEPeeohYs

Judge by yourselves.

Happy???  :p

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: May 31 2012, 11:47

Quote (Delfín @ May 31 2012, 08:56)
- The almost total absence of synthesisers.

On Amarok there are actually quite a few spots where synthesizers are used.
Profile PM WEB 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: May 31 2012, 15:50

I haven't heard it, but the concept very interesting indeed! will take a listen, thx!

--------------
New free album out:

http://www.bobthescreamer.com/music/twinety-twine/
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: May 31 2012, 16:24

To be honest the clearest similarity between the two albums is that they are both extended compositions with a non-stop flow of musical ideas.

That is where the similarities stop, for me. Stylistically, they could not be more different. "Thick as a brick" is essentially a very flowery variation on progressive rock, but it still remains firmly footed in that genre. You hear none of the celtic/Irish influences, style changes, and extensive overdubbing of countermelodies as you hear on "Amarok".

Also, "Thick as a brick" was written with live performance in mind, while "Amarok" obviously was not. The idea that there is a link between these two albums is an interesting one, but I'm just not hearing it.

One link that has occurred to me before is Yes's "Tales from topographic oceans" and Oldfield's "Incantations". Both albums contain 4 long, largely instrumental tracks, and both albums were unlike anything either artist did before or since. Once again though, the styles between the two are very different.
Profile PM WEB 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: May 31 2012, 16:57

I've just listened through and I like it a lot, I will listen again! Thanks again for sharing Delfin!

I agree on all your bullet points and I think this is what makes this album very interesting too. However, I also agree with Gus that the actual music style is different. To me it reminded very much of early Genesis. Although I consider Mike Oldfield's music style as very folk music inspired progressive rock. However, there are similarities in the style of composing.

To me it seems that Amarok has a better over-all composition (ok, admittedly a bit unfair and quick judgement after having heard this once, and Amarok hundred of times...), with its careful and very well planned build ups and its themes, very much how classic music is built.

--------------
New free album out:

Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 01 2012, 06:41

Quote (GusFogle @ May 31 2012, 17:47)
Quote (Delfín @ May 31 2012, 08:56)
- The ALMOST total absence of synthesisers.

On Amarok there are actually quite a few spots where synthesizers are used.

Yeah, there are synthesisers but not too many; as the liner notes say "not much synth at all really". And obviously according with the time 'Thick as a Brick' was released, and the Jethro Tull style, not as much synth-oriented as others like Camel or Genesis, there weren't synths at all. What I wanted to highlight is the little importance of synths in both cases compared to acoustic instruments.

Glad there were opinions in all directions, and glad as well bob the screamer had the chance of discovering this great album. I really think stylistically there's not that great difference, as both artists are English and the music has folk roots and rock orientation.

For sure there are many other aspects to discuss. I want to have a listen as well to 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' as I never knew it was a double instrumental. I think I have it in vynil at home!!! I'll give it a listen.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 01 2012, 06:43

No, I have 'Close to the Edge'. 'Tales' will have to be Youtubed or Emuled.  :O

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 01 2012, 07:13

Quote (Delfín @ June 01 2012, 06:41)
Yeah, there are synthesisers but not too many; as the liner notes say "not much synth at all really".

I think you have to take that line with a pinch of salt; after all, when compared to Earth Moving, you could say there are no synths at all in Amarok, in fact! The main thing is not that there aren't many synth parts in the album, but that they are extremely well employed. They're well integrated into the sonic texture, and that's what matters.

I also see mainly differences between the two albums. The biggest of them is that Thick as a Brick is better defined as a "long song"; the transitions between the different sections are smooth, the flow is mostly linear, and there are very few and punctual recapitulations all the way through. Amarok, on the other hand, is deliberately disorienting in the first half, but then connects all the dots and makes it all work together towards the end. The musical engineering in it is far more complex, like a semi-organic-semi-mechanic living being; Thick as a Brick is more like a finely architectured sculpture.

But if this thread does the favour to introduce Jethro Tull to the uninitiated, then it's already justified. One weird thing though is that Thick as a Brick was originally intended as a mockery of progressive rock. Making the whole album a single track and the whole Gerald Bostock schtick is simply poking fun at other prog bands at the time. Yet, the album was a huge hit within the prog rock scene, that the band felt compelled to do it again with A Passion Play.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
bob the screamer Offline

Posted: June 01 2012, 07:53

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 01 2012, 13:13)
I also see mainly differences between the two albums. The biggest of them is that Thick as a Brick is better defined as a "long song"; the transitions between the different sections are smooth, the flow is mostly linear, and there are very few and punctual recapitulations all the way through. Amarok, on the other hand, is deliberately disorienting in the first half, but then connects all the dots and makes it all work together towards the end. The musical engineering in it is far more complex, like a semi-organic-semi-mechanic living being; Thick as a Brick is more like a finely architectured sculpture.

Ah, yes! This is what I was getting at when I mentioned the different types of compositions. Very good analysis there!

--------------
New free album out:

Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: June 01 2012, 11:15

Didn't know that, Sir Mustapha!!! Really funny that trying to make a joke they made what probably was the best progressive rock album up to that date!!!

Although I'm deliberately ignoring all the Moody Blues' albums, which weren't long-single-tracked, but are definately the peak of symphonic-progressive rock, and as a band, my all-time favourite, a kind of my "Mike Oldfield" of the bands.

Maybe 'Abbey Road' and 'The Wall' have been the other great prog/rock highlights in that type of albums. And even 'Love Over Gold'.

--------------
Profile PM 
9 replies since May 31 2012, 08:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net