Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light and Shade released earlier in Germany?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Taurus Outcast Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 07:49

UK release 27/10/05
German release 7/10/05

why is mike's new album being released almost 3 weeks earlier in Germany, than in the UK? im sorry but isnt mike british? dont you think the release dates should be the same, if not the reverse and be released first in the UK. its an absolute joke! the germans stealing all the sun loungers by the pool when im on holiday, however annoying, i can put aside for a second, but this just about takes the <insert appropriate explicit word>!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 07:52

Mike seems to have a greater fanbase in Germany, I don't know why in Germany but look at the facts. Most of the information that we got about the new album was from Spanish or German sites, Mike has done several concerts in Germany too. I know it's odd but really, doesn't matter!!!  :p

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 08:48

In Spain it's on 26/09.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 08:58

I read quite a while back, maybe in the early 90's, that Mike was a number one selling artist in both Spain and Germany among the 18 to 25 year age bracket.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
jmsoutkast Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 10:30

Just wonderful! Here in the states I'll have to import his music yet again! When will the people here ever learn what good music is? :(
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 11:53

actually im now confused when its out, oldfield.org says 27th september, not october in uk, so that rant was for nothing.
sincerest apologies
Profile PM 
Man From The Moon Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 12:59

But those, who have to wait till 27th, will have more great "almoust there!" feelings! Isn't it great to wake up in the morning, and think "New MO album is coming! New music, new emotions!". Yes, in some meaning i like waiting...(not too long of course!;).

And after You'll listen to the new album, You'll realise, that for next time You'll have to wait for years... :/  
But anyway, as long as new albums will be created, You'll be able to be Virgin again and again, with every "first hearing"!!!

Enjoy Waiting!!!!! :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 13:39

Why on earth do record companies do this??????? No wonder people are dowloading music off the net. All that will happen here is that people who get the album earlier in Spain and Germany will stick it online and people everywhere else in the world will just download it.

And the record companies wonder why they loose out!!!!!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 02:46

Oops, yeh, it's 27th of Sept, not 27th of Oct, how come nobody noticed that? So will be released in the UK 10 days before Germany on the 7th of Oct.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 12:06

Can't wait!!

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2005, 18:02

Quote (jmsoutkast @ Aug. 30 2005, 10:30)
When will the people here ever learn what good music is? :(

When 50cent and Britney Spears are dead, hopefully.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 05:23

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 30 2005, 19:39)
Why on earth do record companies do this??????? No wonder people are dowloading music off the net. All that will happen here is that people who get the album earlier in Spain and Germany will stick it online and people everywhere else in the world will just download it.

And the record companies wonder why they loose out!!!!!

Well, I don't see somebody saying "OK, if it comes before in Internet I'll download it, and if it comes before in shops I'll buy it". If somebody doesn't want to pay for it, they will just wait and download it.

I really don't think it's a big problem to wait some days or weeks (but not years, please! ) more than others. It's like buying a new computer just because our friend's is better than ours.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 13:03

Well I do think its a big problem. People who get the album early will put it online and other people will download it instead of buying it. Thats what happened with Tres Lunas and it will happen again this time around. Now I know that all of us wouldn't dream of not paying for the album in some way, weather they're paying to download it or buying the CD but there are a lot of people out there who will just nick it if its out early online.

Anyway why should some fans get the album earlier than others? Its not fair, all of us are equally desperate to get their hands on the new album.  I don't see any reason for it.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 13:21

I don't either.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 14:54

I don't understand why this isn't a simultaneous release in all countries, but regardless, release dates are never near enough.

At least we get some notice about when the album is coming out.  And once it's out in all countries, the discrepancies between the release dates will no longer matter.

I love Mike's music, and I hope this album is worth the wait.  I'd like it now, but it's not coming out now, so that's that!  I've pre-ordered my copy, so I no longer need to think about when the album's coming out.

In the meantime, if you really can't wait, why not get into the mood by listening to some of Mike's albums that you haven't heard in a while?  There are so many that deserve "just another listen"! :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2005, 16:30

Quote (jeremyroberts @ Sep. 04 2005, 23:02)
Quote (jmsoutkast @ Aug. 30 2005, 10:30)
When will the people here ever learn what good music is? :(

When 50cent and Britney Spears are dead, hopefully.

Someday on Futuristic 4D mega-TV, some robot will randomly choose music for backings to programs, then Mike's name will come up one day and be played on the most popular channel, everyone will love it, dig up his grave, restore him using DNA from his bones and he will be a superstar like his talent has always deserved him to become!

Someday...........    :laugh:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 04:37

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 05 2005, 19:03)
Well I do think its a big problem. People who get the album early will put it online and other people will download it instead of buying it.

But, do you think people capable of downloading it from Internet would go to the shop and buy it if it came 2 days before? Well, maybe there is people so desperate and envious, but I'm sure they're an absolute minority compared with those who just don't want to pay for anything, and will not anytime.

At least I'm talking about the things I see around me. I don't know anybody, except me and some members of my family, saying someday "Oh, I'll buy that album/videogame/program". There was even some time when I felt ashamed for buying things! I was the only one, and some people laughed at me or didn't take me serious when I said it: "--Where're you going?  --Oh, I'm going to buy a videogame.  --Ja, ja, ja, great joke, Trini". So, as I see, the problem is not when is the album going to be released here and there, but the mentality of people (at least here, in Spain). People will upload and download it anyway, there wont be practically any difference, in my opinion.

Another thing is if it's fair or not. I suppose it isn't, but I'm sure the record companies have some (economic) reason for that other than just being unfair.
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 14:16

Throughout this discussion people have been referring to "downloading music" but nobody has said anything about legal downloads.

People do still download music illegally, but it was much more common when there was no legal alternative and piracy laws were not actually enforced.  Have a look at this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4216400.stm

That is an interesting article, because it shows that legal downloads have actually become quite successful in a short period of time.

I would imagine that many of the people who starting paying for downloads used to download music illegally when there was no alternative (apart from buying the CD).  Not everyone is dishonest.  As you will see on the inside of some recent CDs, illegally downloading music is like stealing a CD from a music store - and there are an increasing number of places where you can legally download music.

If I had the choice between buying Mike's new CD and legally downloading it, and the price was the same, I'd still prefer to buy the CD.  I like to have sleevenotes and artwork.

Does anyone know if Mike's new album will be available to download legally?  Are any of his existing albums downloadable?

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 14:20

All his Virgin era stuff is available at emusic, I'm not sure about anywhere else though, I don't think itunes carries his stuff.
Profile PM 
18 replies since Aug. 30 2005, 07:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net