Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light and Shade as one piece of music?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 18:43

Reading through the wide ranging posts in Light and Shade ( and getting very lost sometimes, forgetting who said what!;) I wondered... do you think it would have been possible or would it have worked if L&S had been formed into two single pieces-  each track linking seamlessly and progressively? One  side Light and the other Shade.

I'm thinking now of how Tubular Bells changed forever for me once I'd heard the beautiful, but segmented TB2003 with each part now being named. It altered the whole dynamic of the piece.

Now ofcourse, it's  so much easier for us to discuss accurately the individual parts ('sunset' for instance and not to estimate and say 'quarter of the way through side one';). The album works because all the bits are good, but how much more powerful could it be? Are we losing that mystical magical something in the separation. Maybe it's not style of playing or instrumentation used, but it's the format it is presented to us in.

bee

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
tamas Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 20:41

I fear L+S wouldn't be more powerful if the tracks would have been connected the similar fashion as in TMB, or TB3. For me the strength of that "mystical magical something" comes mainly for the fact that melodies not only connected, but also construct different layers that continously vary, and continously interweave each other, creating this way some kind of a tapestry. For me this is the main reason why Omm. and Amarok are so powerful, and give the feeling that I not only listen to music, but also listen (or read?) some kind of a story, a ballad, or rather a myth.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 06:55

I agree with tamas. There's too much disparity among the tracks to make a coherent whole. It seems pretty clear that many of the tracks were written at different times and under different impulses.

On a purely personal level, I'd encounter a serious difficulty if they were welded together, because I find about half the tracks almost unbearable to listen to. As it is, by making my own selective compilation from the two CDs, I've ended up with a thoroughly delightful single CD.
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 09:08

Agree with tamas.

But the "discrepances" between different parts of a single piece is one of the Mike's trademark (Amarok is full of surprices and TB is somehow "schizofrenic").

I think that with the themes present in Light it would be possible to make a very good single long piece of music, giving more meaning at the single themes, that alone seem... too alone.  ;)

bye
Andrea
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 09:21

First Steps IMHO already does a good job in joining together various themes (from the Tr3s Lunas game, in this case). I don't think joining the other pieces (especially the Shade ones) into one would have much sense - they're just too different.

And however, what's this thing with (seeemingly) most of you board members always wanting Mike to do long pieces? That 'epoch' is over. OK for joined-together CD tracks [I like TSODE immensely... I adore it!! :)], and OK also for a CD as an unique piece of work, but I think that pieces longer than 20 minutes do definitely belong to the 1970s and should stay there. :D  Amarok is an exception, of course. :cool:

P.S. Ciao Andrea! ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 09:23

Quote (knife edge @ Oct. 11 2005, 14:08)
the "discrepances" between different parts of a single piece is one of the Mike's trademark (Amarok is full of surprices and TB is somehow "schizofrenic").

I think surprise can be consistent with the idea of coherence though.

I think that with the themes present in Light it would be possible to make a very good single long piece of music, giving more meaning at the single themes, that alone seem... too alone.

Certainly all the MusicVR pieces sound very much of the same species and could have been made into a convincing whole. Not sure about Blackbird and Rocky, which seem weak to these ears. And Closer seems to belong on another album.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 13:44

I think it would have been possible, but it would have taken a lot more than simply taking all the tracks in their current states and sticking them together.

There are places where motifs recur, like when the little descending sequence of notes that forms the focus of First Steps comes back briefly in Tears Of An Angel. Expanding on that could be the first step towards making a more coherent whole out of them. Having a consistency of sound would be another step in the right direction. Unfortunately, I think Light + Shade really falls down there at the moment - I think more could have been done at the mastering stage to help tracks sit together properly, as sometimes the contrast (like the transition of Closer into First Steps, where the latter is far brighter sounding than the former) jarrs a little.

I don't think there's anything inherent in the basic musical ideas that would stop the compositions being placed together - it's just the arrangements and execution that means they'd not currently fit together.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 15:12

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 11 2005, 14:21)
And however, what's this thing with (seeemingly) most of you board members always wanting Mike to do long pieces? That 'epoch' is over. ......and OK also for a CD as an unique piece of work, but I think that pieces longer than 20 minutes do definitely belong to the 1970s and should stay there.

It's that old argument again- long pieces being dated as 70's music. To say this is both right & wrong I think. It is true to say that the style was popular at that time, but it's wrong to imply that it was only in the 70's that it happened. Both lengthy Classical music and shorter songs have been around for centuries. In popular music shorter songs have always been there. But as we all know, Mike cannot be put into any category,which is great! I love that fact. He just does what's right for him.

What I was trying to say was that I'm not longing for the70's again- life moves on, I understand that. It's just that I like to concentrate on music and immerse myself in it & I get frustrated when I feel it could go on for longer and travel elsewhere but then just at the good bit it all comes crashing to a halt. And start again, new song.

With Light and Shade I was wondering if the elements I was hearing would have sounded better had they been able to run into each other. Yes they jump around but then everything Mike has done, of any great significance, leaps about, full of contrasts and with huge swings of mood & atmosphere. Appreciating these details,I feel, is one of the most pleasing aspects of listening to his music.

It's only because quite early on we were told (or rather we found out!!;) the origin of the inspiration for each track that we think of them as stand alone. I think Tubular Bells and Amarok and Incantations to name but three, must have been composed over a period of time and therefore have separately inpsired pieces inside them that must have grown into the whole magnificent pieces of work.

I know nothing of mastering that Korgscrew mentioned or producing ( but it does sound fascinating)  and I can't compose music so I don't really know what I'm taking about, but I'm not a clotheared nincompoop either! But then I guess by giving us the Umyx thing Mike is offering us the chance to have a go. Not done that yet.

Btw Alan the track list you chose is a good one, they do all go together very well to my ears, but where is Blackbird, I love that??

It was good to read what everyone thought.

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 16:40

Quote (bee @ Oct. 11 2005, 20:12)
where is Blackbird, I love that??

Quick! Add Blackbird to your version of my list before I apply for a patent (but it will have to stay off mine I'm afraid).

I preserved the existing running order for my list, so where would you put Blackbird, do you think? Track 2?
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 17:26

I was thinking of putting it after Tears of an Angel and before Ringscape, but really Mike knows best!! After Angelique is probably the position. It's on a Playlist of my iPod forever!!

bee :)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 17:45

I'm toying with the idea of making another version which has  Sunset right at the end.

I've also been wondering about making my own Super-Tr3s-Lunas album - kicking out 'To be Free', and adding Ringscape, First Steps, and (as a bonus track because it's a Maestro tune) Sunset to the original album.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 18:09

I've done that already actually, here's my uber TresLunas on itunes

1 Misty
                                                 2 No Mans Land
                                                 3 Return to the Origin
                                                 4 Bird Flight Music
                                                 5 Viper intro
                                                 6 Viper
                                                 7 First Steps
                                                 8 TresLunas
                                                 9 FireFly
                                                 10 Daydream
                                                 11 Ringscape
                                                 12 Sirius

I've also got Angelique, Blackbird, Rocky, Resolution, Surfing and TOAA stuck on the end. I know they're not part of TresLunas but they're atmospherically similar and do help fill it out into quite a nicely
atmospheric little soundtrack.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 03:25

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 11 2005, 23:09)
I've also got Angelique, Blackbird, Rocky, Resolution, Surfing and TOAA stuck on the end. I know they're not part of TresLunas but they're atmospherically similar and do help fill it out into quite a nicely atmospheric little soundtrack.

But not Sunset? Interesting.

I must admit I'd be tempted to add Angelique, myself, but the others would be a bit too far removed from the Tr3sLunas 'feeling' for me. So I think I'll pose as a purist and keep to the MVR tracks when I compile my set. It's a nice game to play, isn't it?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 08:44

Quote (bee @ Oct. 11 2005, 20:12)
I know nothing of mastering that Korgscrew mentioned

Simple to understand, difficult to get right!

It's basically the process of getting the music ready for being pressed to CDs (or any other format). It's evolved from being a purely technical process (making sure it would reproduce without problems) to being a partly artistic one (adding the final polish to the song/album, after it's been mixed).

One of the important parts of the process is making sure that all of the tracks sit well next to each other. Often tracks are very different in nature, and aren't all mixed at the same time, so in their raw state they might sound very different to each other. Some might be bright, others dull, some loud, some quiet...they have to be brought together so that they sound like an album, rather than just like a collection of songs that's been scraped together from the recesses of someone's tape cupboard or hard disk. Mastering them then involves running them through various processors so that they have a common sound to them - not exactly so that they all sound the same, but rather so that they sit nicely next to each other. That also involves working on fade outs (and sometimes fade ins) and putting the right amount of space between tracks. I actually also feel Light + Shade would have benefitted from a few smoother, slightly longer fades (a few track seem to drop out rather suddenly after a fade has begun) and occasionally a little more space between tracks. It's really small, subtle stuff, but it's why I say mastering is difficult to get right - it's not a case of taking a set of files, putting in a blank CD and hitting the 'burn' button!

I think a little attention in those areas could have helped Light + Shade at least feel more coherent, though it's still a long way from making it into one whole piece (and I wonder how many people would even notice the difference in attention to detail...).

I totally disagree that long pieces are a 70s thing. They're just long pieces! You could no doubt have said the same of Tubular Bells - "Oh, that's soooo old fashioned, that long stuff is what all the classical guys did, short songs are where pop music's at - move with the times, dude!". The fact is, it was interesting precisely because it wasn't like all the usual pop songs (though of course it wasn't the first 'pop' piece of an extended length...you can take my comment to apply more generally to all of those things - whoever did the first could have been accused of using an outdated form...and good luck in finding who the first was, I think trying to pinpoint one particular work may prove difficult...was it one of the prog rock bands like Pink Floyd? One of the earlier jazz composers like Gershwin? He was a 'pop' - as in popular - composer too...).
If Mike can make an exception with Amarok, he can make an exception again. I don't think Amarok is at all 70s, or at all 1900s, or at all 1700s, or whatever...it's just music, and it lasts for 60 minutes.

I think it's less a case of whether the tracks form one piece or not, but whether they form one album or not. The pieces of Tubular Bells III fitted quite nicely together, I thought. If there had been a big gap between Top Of The Morning and Moonwatch, many of us might have started thinking what a pointless track Moonwatch is, but the way which it's placed into the album's structure makes it function quite nicely as a bridging section (not to say of course that TB3 is an example of the ideal album, but rather just that Mike can manage to structure things more coherently even within his modern works).
I don't know that anyone here is really saying what Mike should do anyway - I'm certainly not. I'm just wondering how it could have been, exploring possibilities and so on, which is I think what bee was wanting to do when starting this. The fact is that Light + Shade is how it is, and nothing's going to change it now (apart from some playing round with U-Myx and a bit of work with a virtual razor blade and splicing tape!), but perhaps through discussing these things, at least some of us can learn a little more about the way it all works. I think a lot of great things come from people saying "That was ok, but I can improve on it".
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 17:16

Korgscrew, how interesting! And so intricate actually getting inside sound. You must have to have a fantastic memory to be able to recall what sounds good and be very patient too. It must be incredibly complicated. Do you just instinctively know when something is right or does it take years of experience? And does the artist have the final say in the last stages even if you believe something else could be done? Personal taste must be hard to keep out.

I'm thinking it must be a bit like wine tasting, learning to appreciate the different qualities of sound and how they blend ~ maybe similar to understanding wine?

And just to say that I would never, ever presume to say what I think Mike should have done with any of his music. I was only wondering. The album is growing on me more and more and I shall always be thinking about how different parts link up in lots of ways. I do this with all kinds of things, not just music. I think every one does subconsciously.

Mike has always been very good at making connections in music that are surprising and clever. I like that he shares it with us.

bee

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2005, 07:29

I have to say that I enjoy First Steps and especially Ringscape more than anything on Tres Lunas except Return to the Origin and No Man's Land reprise. I'd also include Solar System from Brandon's Tres Lunas II, my favourite out of all the Music VR tracks. I don't think there are enough other tracks I love to make a super Music VR album. I'm still working on my Light and Shade single disk condensed version.

Speaking of super albums, I delayed the burning of my 3 CD best of Oldfield because Light and Shade was coming out. And I can say that I'm glad that I did delay, because TOAA is more than worthy of inclusion. Ringscape probably will be included as well, I'll have to see if any others make their way on.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2005, 10:10

Quote (raven4x4x @ Oct. 13 2005, 12:29)
I have to say that I enjoy First Steps and especially Ringscape more than anything on Tres Lunas except Return to the Origin and No Man's Land reprise.

Sometime, Alex, you must try playing the game. I think it would transform your perception of the music on the album.

I was listening to Tr3sLunas today (without added tracks yet), and enjoying it so very, very much. It's an album that I feel sure could have been build into one long continuous piece, had Mike felt so inclined.
Profile PM 
tamas Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2005, 20:06

Alan, but aren't you enjoying it so much, because you have played the game before? I suppose, when you listen it, you remember the gameplay itself... It is like listening a good movie track, which brings back to your memory the film itself (although I know in the case of T3SL the music and the image is inseparable.) I must admit, that I played only the demo version, maybe that is the reason why I am not so much a fan of that album... :/

Being an absolutely non-musician I wonder how Mike composes his long instrumental tracks... Does he hear various melodies (completely different ones), that are connected later, and merge  into a complex whole? Or does he unfold the music much from a beginning track, a beggining "mood", following more an instinct for developement?
Being a writer, I know that the ideas to novels often arise from various images, that are connected later by the narrative, or even dissappear completely in the thread of the story. I just wonder if the process is similar in music...

Or maybe there is not a receipt at all, different instrumental tracks require different methodes of composition...
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2005, 23:28

Quote (tamas @ Oct. 10 2005, 20:41)
I fear L+S wouldn't be more powerful if the tracks would have been connected the similar fashion as in TMB, or TB3. For me the strength of that "mystical magical something" comes mainly for the fact that melodies not only connected, but also construct different layers that continously vary, and continously interweave each other, creating this way some kind of a tapestry. For me this is the main reason why Omm. and Amarok are so powerful, and give the feeling that I not only listen to music, but also listen (or read?) some kind of a story, a ballad, or rather a myth.

@Tamas, beautifully said, I wish I'd said that.

While not taking in everything that has been said on this thread, the point I feel is that Mike was consciously avoiding any connection at all with that 'long 70's instrumental' thing. Not saying that this newest music of Mikes would not have worked beautifully in that format or in any of the ways suggested here or that it would have made it sound '70's' at all except for the fact that is it exactly what Mike did not want. (I mean he seems almost embarrassed by Amarok these days, God only knows why).

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2005, 23:35

Quote (knife edge @ Oct. 11 2005, 09:08)
Agree with tamas.

But the "discrepances" between different parts of a single piece is one of the Mike's trademark (Amarok is full of surprices and TB is somehow "schizofrenic").

I think that with the themes present in Light it would be possible to make a very good single long piece of music, giving more meaning at the single themes, that alone seem... too alone.  ;)

bye
Andrea

Well said Andrea and keep on posting, always good to see more females on the site.

However I would have said that TB is full of surprises and Amarok is schitzophrenic.

But in order to try and appeal to the youth market I wonder if Mike wants this new music to be associated with the old music in any way at all. That's why it has created such strong reactions from people.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
23 replies since Oct. 10 2005, 18:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net