Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Light and shade, pictures and inspiration< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 29 2005, 21:15

I came over this picture, and the first i had in my mind was Blackbird. http://www.desktopstarships.com/FantasyImages/facyber_hunter.jpg :zzz:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 30 2005, 06:24

Wow. Tubularman - that's a fantastic correspondance :-) Now I have a new image when listening to Blackbird :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Woman in the rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2005, 15:27

nice image
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 21:42

nightshade

another blackbird manipulated

some new stuff  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
maria Offline

Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 15:25

i suddenly saw an image the first time i listened to 'tears of an angel' and it was obsessing me until i started drawing a sketch of it.
here it is what i've done so far: tears
it's the moment when the introduction changes into the main part.. that wonderful guitar made the bird try to open wings and fly.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 04:51

hie Maria. That was a nice drawing. Take care of that.  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 07:05

Lovely and interesting picture Maria. What is the foreground image just below the bird trying to fly? To me it looks like the front of a viking ship or a wave of the sea.

To me the picture speaks of one's spirit trying to break free from hurts inflicted in life (the cityscape representing the many hurts inflicted in urban living, and the wave representing the many tears  shed due to these hurts). There's a struggle to rise up above these past hurts but, as the direction of the birds shows us, there surely is progress in rising above them and the tears bring some kind of cleaning and covering of those hurts. It captures beautifully the spirit of TOAA.

Well done! ;)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2005, 17:55

a viking ship isn't far from the former intention, but it's funny that u are the second person who sees a wave on the foreground.. hmmm.. that actually makes me think of two options: i must change the scanner i'm currently using for a wider one so the image can be scanned completely, or improve how i draw boats because on the foreground there's a gondola :D

i read your words now, after the time i've fiddling about with that image and see how u are close to it in more than one sense..
there were several things influencing the appearance of that image in my mind. i was curious about 'tears of an angel' before listening to the track first for its title, which was so evoking for me, also for what i had read about its origin, but when i first listened to it, i really felt my stomach squeezing with pain and pleasure at the same time..
there was something trapped in the introduction, that voice struggling within the sound of violins, i felt anxiety the first time i listened to it and it was a wonderful relief to see the (fish-)bird appearing out from the dark watery landscape with the chance to fly and be set free.. both the music and the drawing will always be a sort of exorcism for me.
and u didn't ask.. but yes.. some years ago a crossroad gave me the chance to run away from a big city and its mad rhythm.
timshen, thank u very much for your nice comment.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2005, 04:19

Quote (maria @ Nov. 17 2005, 22:55)
i must ... improve how i draw boats because on the foreground there's a gondola

I don't think there's anything wrong with your drawing of boats! I think your instinct served you perfectly, and the more I look at your picture, the more expressive is the ambiguity about 'is it a wave or a boat?'

First, the actual form that you've drawn - ignoring what it is 'supposed to be' - is perfect in its context. I'm thinking of the sweep of it, across the bottom and sharply up to the left, ending in that tight spiral that balances against the moon (or sun?) - that movement is crucial in the way the picture works: the way it makes us feel the trappedness of the bird, while stressing the possibility of its release. (I don't understand quite how this works, but it does - cover the left hand side of the picture with your hand, and the whole dynamic of the image is lost). That dynamic is far more important than whether we decide that it's a boat or a wave.

But also I like the ambiguity of the symbolism. If I read it as a wave, I see it sweeping in from the right with a destructive force. If I read it as a boat, I see it as possibly offering some kind of rescue, but also possibly as an obstacle. The ambiguity seems to enhance the feeling of uncertainty about whether the bird will escape.

I keep trying to imagine a coloured version, with one of those magical dark blue skies that you do so well.

It was a great idea to post this picture here. ¡felicitaciones!
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2005, 08:04

Quote (Tubularman @ Nov. 15 2005, 02:42)
nightshade

another blackbird manipulated

some new stuff  ;)

hahaha Mike 'Crow' Oldfield (Blackbird of course ;))

I like the nightshade on especially, ce'st bon!!  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2005, 20:46

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Nov. 18 2005, 14:04)
some new stuff  ;)[/quote]
hahaha Mike 'Crow' Oldfield (Blackbird of course ;))

I like the nightshade on especially, ce'st bon!!  :)

ha ha  :laugh:  yes he do really looks like a crow ha ha...
Mike Duck  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
10 replies since Oct. 29 2005, 21:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net