Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Liberation< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 16 2008, 05:44

"Liberation" is now my second favorite TMB song. I don't know why I hadn't appreciated it before. Somehow, between now and the last time I listened, it magically transformed into something really beautiful.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2008, 06:15

Sweetpea, things I suspect may have got in your way of liking the piece are the child's narration, which sometimes seems to lack confidence, emphasizing the wrong word, and the galloping rhythm, which always reminds me of the Bay City Rollers' "Shang a Lang"!

"Amber Light" is still my favourite, following by "Santa Maria" and "Peace on Earth".
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2008, 16:58

Liberation is my favourite track on the album,and is a perfect contrast I feel to Broad Sunlit Uplands.The first time I heard it I actualy got quite choked up over it,and it`s had that effect on me a few times since as well.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2008, 05:54

Generally speaking, I don't care for child-speak in music. Perhaps that was my hurdle? In any case, I'm now finding the girl's performance quite charming. And the rhythm is a delightful complement to the vocals, I think. Actually, I think the whole piece works surprisingly well, considering its array of components: child's narration, ethereal vocalese, tribal-sounding percussion, a burst of electric guitar, and the spoken snippets at the end. The guitar surprises me every time, and I love the Tarzan-like(?) yell near the end.

(PS: IT'S SNOWING!! Pretty flakes. :) )

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 18 2008, 20:25

Quote (nightspore @ Dec. 16 2008, 06:15)
(...) and the galloping rhythm, which always reminds me of the Bay City Rollers' "Shang a Lang"!

Said rhythm is, incidentally, sampled straight off Amarok.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2008, 21:56

Sir M, such is the kaleidoscopic complexity of Amarok that I think you'd find any rhythm or sound-pattern there if you looked hard enough.

Personally, I don't like the child's narration. It sounds too "cute".
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2008, 05:51

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Dec. 18 2008, 20:25)
Said rhythm is, incidentally, sampled straight off Amarok.

Is it really, Sir M? I thought it sounded familiar, but I figured it was simply an Oldfieldish sort of thing rather than something specific. Which part of Amarok is it taken from?

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 20 2008, 08:44

Quote (Sweetpea @ Dec. 20 2008, 05:51)
Is it really, Sir M? I thought it sounded familiar, but I figured it was simply an Oldfieldish sort of thing rather than something specific. Which part of Amarok is it taken from?

From the intro part right after the beginning, with the female vocals and the extra loud stabs. Listen to both pieces back to back, if you can.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2008, 14:11

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Dec. 20 2008, 08:44)
From the intro part right after the beginning, with the female vocals and the extra loud stabs. Listen to both pieces back to back, if you can.

I see what you mean, now, Sir M. I'm not good at picking things out, like that, so thanks for mentioning it. I guess we can add 'Amarok Connection' to "Liberation"'s list of oddities.

--------------
Profile PM 
8 replies since Dec. 16 2008, 05:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net