Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Let's have MFSL master the original mix!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
pantofis Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 19 2006, 12:44

Hi! You sure know about the label MFSL who independendly remaster albums from the original master tapes for hi-quality CDs and LPs.
Recently they issued the Mothers' "We're Only In It For The Money" as it was back in 1967, whereas the actual CD was a remix...
And I thought, why if they do Zappa, let's make them do Mike Oldfield's original LP mix of "Hergest Ridge". There would be some thousands of byers (wouldn't there?).
I don't know how to contact them, but I'll see what I can do...
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2006, 12:46

nah.

how about all of the rarities of Mike's, now I WOULD BUY THAT! :D

please :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2006, 15:13

I've been searching all over for the original mix of Hergest Ridge, so I would definately buy a copy.

I bought HR on vinyl in 1983 and lost my copy in 1989. Bought HR on CD in 1993 but it didn't sound quite right...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2006, 15:38

Ok, try to persuade them to make both albums ;)

I seriously think that the rarities would sell better, but maybe Mike will get that released after he retires :)

Another non-related one would me JMJ's 'Musique pour supermarchet' :D which I'm 'aquiring' now ;)

Only one was ever made, they crazily burnt the master tapes after the auction, has anyone heard it? Is it his masterpiece?

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2006, 15:51

I "have" a Jarre album called "Music For Supermarkets". Sounds like a bootleg quality-wise. The music is quite noisy and experimental. It contains early versions of Blah-Blah Café and Diva from Zoolook + a fast marimba line that I recognize from another Jarre album (Rendez-Vous?). Laurie Anderson is not on Diva.

Not sure is the album I have is the geniune article or not, but it has some very Jarre-like original music that I haven't heard anywhere else before. The appearance of Diva - Laurie Anderson suggests it comes from the man himself.

Could this be the one you're looking for?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2006, 20:02

Quote (pantofis @ Feb. 19 2006, 12:44)
Hi! You sure know about the label MFSL who independendly remaster albums from the original master tapes for hi-quality CDs and LPs.
Recently they issued the Mothers' "We're Only In It For The Money" as it was back in 1967, whereas the actual CD was a remix...
And I thought, why if they do Zappa, let's make them do Mike Oldfield's original LP mix of "Hergest Ridge". There would be some thousands of byers (wouldn't there?).
I don't know how to contact them, but I'll see what I can do...

Agree!
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2006, 20:03

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 19 2006, 15:13)
I've been searching all over for the original mix of Hergest Ridge, so I would definately buy a copy.

I bought HR on vinyl in 1983 and lost my copy in 1989. Bought HR on CD in 1993 but it didn't sound quite right...

There's a first class bootleg, quite easy to get.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 06:46

I think that "Music For Supermarkets" was broadcast once on a radio station somewhere, so might be a recording of that.

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 19:05

Ok, never mind then...
Profile PM 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 21:41

I must get around to recording the original mix to digital. Seeing this thread has given me additional incentive. However im not sure of the legalities of providing such a rip. Is it illegal to distribute material that is technically withdrawn? If people own a CD of the remixed version, does that entitle them to access to the original?

--------------
http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Dougmac21
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2006, 10:17

I'm sure that's OK, but if you want to play it safe you could always look for an unwanted second-hand original LP of it.

That way you get the original cover with the campfire not airbrushed out, and a photo of Bootleg the wolfhound on the back :)

The original mix is still on the Amarok FTP server (amarok.huntingdon.edu) - it should allow anonymous logins.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 04:54

I just got hold of the original mix!!! I haven't heard it since I lost my vinyl copy in the 80s. It's absolutely beautiful. It's a bit rough in places. There's a harder edge.
Great to hear the snare drums and trumpets back in place in part 1. It's a very dramatic section.
Listening to part one right now at full blast!

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: May 09 2006, 23:33

I've been looking for the original copy for a while now, and I DO own the HDCD 2000 remaster. So if anybody has the home made remaster, or any version of this that is listenable, please email or PM me, I have one show of mikes, and MANY Yesshows, some Jethro Tull shows, ELP Etc. THanks.
Profile PM WEB 
12 replies since Feb. 19 2006, 12:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net