Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Least promoted MO album ever?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Navaira Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 06:31

I bought the latest edition of Mojo yesterday. No ads, no review. Nothing. There's no single, no video, no airplay (I am talking about the UK right now). The album didn't reach top 75 which is hardly surprising. Is there going to be ANY promotion for Light + Shade or have Mercury given up on Mike before they even started?

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 06:46

Moreover... I can't see L+s here in Italy (at least in my region...). How many neurons have the Mercury's people?!? One in two? Grrr...

Andrea
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 08:19

"Welcome to America". This terrible promotion has been the situation with all of the Oldfield albums after "Islands" in the United States (except for TB2). Now you know what it is like :)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 08:21

Quote (hiawatha @ Oct. 20 2005, 09:19)
"Welcome to America". This terrible promotion has been the situation with all of the Oldfield albums after "Islands" in the United States (except for TB2). Now you know what it is like :)

Heard that L + S was just released in the US...a friend told me...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 08:24

Amazon.com and bn.com do not offer a NON-import "L+S" yet, so it is hard to find evidence of a US release.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 08:43

What is this 'Light and Shade' thing that you're all talking about?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 08:47

In Australia, I've never seen or heard any sort of promotion for Mike whatsoever. I don't have any reason to suspect I'm going to start seeing any either. I don't mind though. I know he exists.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 08:59

An update: www.mediaplay.com (representing another big US music-seller) claims that they "will" have L+S on Oct. 18 for $30.49. There are no details. It does not say it is an import (but this does not mean it isn't one: the details are so few in the listing)

----

Another company, Tower Records, offers it for a $15.99 (the lowest price I have seen). They say it is to be released Nov. 1. This one is an import. There are also no details available.

----

Finally, here is the "FYE" company at www.fye.com.
The listing is similar to the Mediaplay listing, but it costs a LOT more:

Price: $36.98  
Release Date: 10/18/2005  
Back Order

Label: Universal International
UPC: 00602498736425
SKU: 201994849
Genre: NewAge

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2005, 10:04

Quote (knife edge @ Oct. 20 2005, 12:46)
Moreover... I can't see L+s here in Italy (at least in my region...). How many neurons have the Mercury's people?!? One in two? Grrr...

Andrea

Where are you, Andrea? Up in the North? :) Down here all shops have L&S... and I mean ALL!! :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 10:14

poor mike i don't think he will get another hit album at this rate unless he does tubular bells 4.  if i did not have internet access then i would not have known about light + shade.  :/
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 11:59

Quote (RICHARDGORMLIE @ Oct. 22 2005, 15:14)
poor mike i don't think he will get another hit album at this rate unless he does tubular bells 4.  if i did not have internet access then i would not have known about light + shade.  :/

I sorry to say that i believe even TB 4 wouldn't get sales, I think people stopped buying it after the Millenium Bell or after they had heard TBIII, maybe they weren't ready for change  ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 13:25

There was a small advert in, I believe, Uncut. It was an one page ad from Virgin Megastore  :O , yes you read that right!
They promoted Mikes album and another one...
They said that it's Mikes great new album with beautiful ambient music on one disc and darker music on the other disk, showing the two sides of his personality! Couldn't believe my eyes...
But I've searched for reviews in music papers, but didn't come across any... :/
Has someone read a review from a music magazine yet?

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 14:18

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 21 2005, 10:04)
Quote (knife edge @ Oct. 20 2005, 12:46)

Andrea

Where are you, Andrea? Up in the North? :) Down here all shops have L&S... and I mean ALL!! :)

Hi Ugo!  :)

I'm in Trento, no L+s here, nowhere...  :/

I'll wait... :zzz:

ciao
Andrea
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 16:52

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Oct. 22 2005, 11:59)
I sorry to say that i believe even TB 4 wouldn't get sales, I think people stopped buying it after the Millenium Bell or after they had heard TBIII, maybe they weren't ready for change  ;)

Yup -- maybe TB4 would reach the dizzy heights of number 40 on the UK chart, but I don't think there would be more. Basically a hit single would be a good thing. And the only tracks on the album that could be hits are Romance and Lakme. Give any of these two a video with almost naked 14-year-old girls doing aerobic and presto!

(Yes, I'm bitter.)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 17:01

Its current sales ranking on Amazon uk is 155, which seems surprisingly high considering no one knows about it. (To put that into context, Dylan's new double CD, despite the two TV showings and other coverage, only ranks at 95.)
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 14:19

I am convinced that Mike only needs decent promotion to have a hit record whatever it is called, and by decent promotion I mean some adverts including some visibility in record stores, some stories about the album in the media, and some playtime so that there is something available for the ears. That's the usual format for other successful records, and it usually works, but it costs money.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 14:21

Quote (Navaira @ Oct. 22 2005, 21:52)
Give any of these two a video with almost naked 14-year-old girls doing aerobic and presto!

(Yes, I'm bitter.)

Bitter is one thing, Navaira, but arrested is another! Luckily you are safe from PC Plod in Poland!
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 12:06

Quote (Marky @ Oct. 23 2005, 14:21)
Quote (Navaira @ Oct. 22 2005, 21:52)
Give any of these two a video with almost naked 14-year-old girls doing aerobic and presto!

(Yes, I'm bitter.)

Bitter is one thing, Navaira, but arrested is another! Luckily you are safe from PC Plod in Poland!

Well, did you see the video for Eric Prydz' "Call on me"?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 13:30

Mmmm, just found a link to it.... have to say they are comfortably over 14 ...... they do have great, erm, lyrics in that video....
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2005, 09:50

Quote (Marky @ Oct. 24 2005, 13:30)
Mmmm, just found a link to it.... have to say they are comfortably over 14 ...... they do have great, erm, lyrics in that video....

Guess what -- the song was #1 in the UK. And somehow I don't think that was entirely due to its outstanding musical quality :Q

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
29 replies since Oct. 20 2005, 06:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net