Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Lang Lang, Why?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2008, 10:39

After hearing MOTS lot's of times know, i love the album, but am struggling to understand exactly what Lang Lang brings to it, i know he plays the piano, but what i hear, it's nothing that Mike himself could'nt have played, and i actually think Mike's touch on the piano is better, when applied to playing MO music that is.
So, was Lang Lang just there for media coverage? to have a genuine Classical star onboard? or am i missing something?
Also, does anyone have any interviews with LL about MOTS?
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 12:47

Why the hell not? There's your answer. Really tho, MO was not "great" at live piano. He sure the hell was great at live guitar tho. Someone was picked with the technical and expressive skills neccesary to fill....or surpass the job. My thinking is, they chose well. Just my 2 cents worth,
Scatterplot

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 12:50

Live piano? i'm talking about the album version!!I just don't feel what LL played was to hard for MO, and as MO wrote it, i'm sure he's played it too.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 14:09

I don't KNOW...but Mike MIGHT have "programmed" it using an old invention called MIDI. Musical instrument digital interface, which he helped to refine and perfect in the '80s. Oh he may not have invented it(Herbie Hancock was one of the people who asked the synthesizer companies to invent a "universal" serial PC language for synths and drum machines), but he sure gave feedback and the manufacturers followed him......but he was not a piano virtuoso. Myself, "Top of the Morning" was THE BEST, absolute BEST piano piece I ever heard on a MO(TB3) album. But........did he play it? If he did, so much has been said of "recording at half speed".....by many here. Ask Korgscrew. I would love to think that Top of the Morning was a miked grand(or baby grand) piano played by MO in real time. I just don't know. Ask others on this site. But as far as choosing a piano virtuoso with a fine resume to play on MOTS...that was not a mistake. But you might be right on the point of marketing......It's a wierd world my freind.
Scatterplot

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 05 2008, 14:37

Karl Jenkins did say somewhere (I think it was probably the interview Hiawatha II did with him) that Mike had written some piano parts in his sequenced version which were impossible for a real pianist to play, which Karl reworked. Does that mean that Mike never intended to play them? That I don't know.

The inclusion of Lang Lang was, as with Hayley Westenra and Karl Jenkins, at the suggestion of the record company. There certainly has been a fair degree of moulding from their side to make it a more marketable product - being led by Universal UK at the beginning, I get the impression that the idea was to create a product that would appeal to the 'popular classics' sector of the market that Classic FM appeals to (hence the heavy promotion on that station).
Mike seemed very happy with Lang Lang's performance and I have a feeling he felt that there was no need for him to play any piano parts himself, having brought Lang Lang on board (I have this faint memory of him having said something along those lines in one of the many interviews from the past months, but I have no memory about which it was! ). I'd guess he probably also rather liked the further experimenting with the idea of having other musicians playing his music, perhaps wanting to try his hand at being simply the guitarist for once.

Lang Lang certainly has a different touch, which I find is a somehow more studied, calculated and precise approach. I can see how that can be both enjoyed by some and perceived as cold by others.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 05 2008, 15:25

I was still writing that when you posted, Scatterplot, so I'll add a little more...

He certainly liked the double speed trick! It does make things sound quite different though, which is partly why he did it (though he did admit in the Blue Peter feature - http://youtube.com/watch?v=f4K6_8_Q0PQ - that it was "basically because I can't play it that fast...but it also sounds better"). A double speed piano would sound quite strange and pingy...which might be quite fun, of course! They're gradually developing ways of processing that let you alter the speed of a recording without doing any damage to the sound, but they still tend to leave telltale artefacts behind, depending on how they're used.

I think Top of the Morning was played on an acoustic piano. The way the notes seem to interact with each other when the sustain pedal is held down is something I don't think could have been done with any sampled piano available at the time. There's a kind of richness there that the sampled pianos of the time really struggled to come anywhere close to. They're getting much closer ten years on, though.

He could have recorded both hands separately, of course. I don't find that works terribly well, personally - the only time I've managed to get it to work for me is when I needed to record a two handed part but only had a two octave keyboard to hand, and I 'played' the other hand's part on the table while I was recording. Having to play one note with one hand often affects the way you play a note with the other, so parts recorded separately don't gel together nearly as well, in my experience (which was why 'playing' on the table worked for me).

One other weird thing relating to sequencing and Music of the Spheres is in the Spheres track, culled from his sequenced demo. Take a listen to the guitar right at the end, specifically to the attacks and the way the notes flow into each other. Does that strike anyone as being quite obviously sampled?
That he used a sampled guitar there would be provide an argument against the theory that his using a sequenced piano and creating parts that were impossible to play means he never intended to play them himself (since I assume his use of a sequenced guitar didn't mean he never intended to play it) - he could have just been exploring ideas, though what was actually going through my head was more the fact that the parts were impossible (the guitar part isn't) than that he didn't play it by hand to start with.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 15:32

The choices were the best, perhaps "commercially" arrived at. I'm a USA fool who supposedly should not know of MO....or at the very least, has burned in the fire of hardly knowing anyone except in my college years during the 1980 period....but in my opinion, the pianist and Hayley were logically arrived at. I really like Hayley. Figure out why for yourselves. No, perverts....I will tell you. It's because she sounds like Annie Haslam circa 1977. It sounds like Novella.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 15:44

Well, Korgscrew, I read your post after I had written mine. I guess I can only say I "LOVE....ABSOLUTLY ADORE" Top of the Morning. I can't stop playing it along with Incantations Pt. 3.......Why? Who knows? Is it like the movie Close Encounters??????????????????? Maybe I better hook up my theramin!!! The aliens are coming! They chose a minor planet named after Mike to locate US!!!!!! HEYYYP ME!!!!! HEYYYYEP ME!!!
Jimbo

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 05 2008, 16:01

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 05 2008, 15:25)
A double speed piano would sound quite strange and pingy...which might be quite fun, of course!

Case study: In My Life, by the Beatles.

(nerd moment over)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 05 2008, 16:24

@ Sir M., off topic: that was an electric piano. If you listen carefully to that Beatles song, you can clearly tell that it's an electric (Yamaha-style) piano, and not a harpsichord or whatever else. :D

Regarding Lang Lang in MotS, yes, technical difficulties might have been one of the issues, but a major one is, as Korgscrew says, the fact that LL is an Universal Music artist. The record company business has always been this way, and I don't think it'll ever change. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 05 2008, 16:31

Quote (Ugo @ June 05 2008, 16:24)
@ Sir M., off topic: that was an electric piano. If you listen carefully to that Beatles song, you can clearly tell that it's an electric (Yamaha-style) piano, and not a harpsichord or whatever else. :D

Now that I don't know, but I know for sure that it was double-sped. I also know they have used a Wurlitzer piano on Tell Me What You See, so I'm not discarding your theory.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 06 2008, 16:23

@ Sir M., again off-topic: it was an electric piano recorded at half-speed, so it would actually play in double speed. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: June 07 2008, 14:45

Well, if you use a really nice synth with a great piano preset, speed would not be an issue. My thinking now is that Top of the Morning was done with an Emu or Kurzweil product. Recorded using sequencing software at say 70bpm, then doubled to 140bpm. With no quantizing, just take after take until it sounded natural, but near-perfect.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
12 replies since June 05 2008, 10:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net