Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 'Lakme' on Spotify, tune listed as 'Lakme' but isn't!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
SlightlyLion Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 11 2011, 16:23

Hi.

On spotify, in the Uk edition of Light and Shade, the track listed as Lakme ISN'T. It's shorter (3.15) and sounds completely different. I love the track, but is it Mike Oldfield's work?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: May 13 2011, 07:29

Entirely the wrong person to be answering your question - I just tried and failed to join Spotify for an investigation, since I have limitations that people in actual posession of a computer can overcome - but our normal manners have deserted us.  Heartiest welcomes to the board, SlightlyLion, and if this be your only question or the first of many enquiries and opinions (which has been the case with me, as my fellow forum posters are finding out to their cost), we hope we can inform and entertain.  I'd seek out Jacen and Slopez314 too if I didn't have another post to try and fit in - I daresay we'll say hi to them soon, but bagsie I you!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 13 2011, 18:49

@ SlightlyLion: I'm not a Spotify customer as it can't be accessed from Italy, but I think I can most probably give you the answer. You are talking about the UK edition of L+S, right? Well, I remember two tracks being featured as bonuses on the UK edition of L+S: "Lakmé" [duration: 4:55] and "Cook's Tune" [3:15]. "Cook's Tune" appeared on the album as a sort-of ghost track (i.e. not listed on the cover or in the tracklist), coming after the end of "Lakmé" and preceded by about one minute of silence.

If the piece you found on Spotify is this one, you can be assured that it's not bogus: it's a Mike Oldfield piece in the tradition of his "funny" singles from the Seventies ("Cuckoo Song", "In Dulci Jubilo", etc.) and it's called "Cook's Tune". What probably happened on Spotify is that the people managing the service omitted "Lakmé" entirely, then they took the ghost track to be "Lakmé", hence the wrong title. But the ghost track is actually "Cook's Tune". :)

By the way, welcome to the board. I hope you will find yourself at home here. I've just one question for you: is your nickname inspired by a section in Mike's Amarok album? ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
SlightlyLion Offline

Posted: May 21 2011, 06:13

Yes, that's it exactly! Thank you so much for your help. I have the cd, but I've never heard Cook's Tune on it :(
This has opened up a whole new world of Mike oldfield tunes for me...

(my username isn't from amarok, it's a quote from a Discworld novel- if only I was that clever)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 21 2011, 07:33

Quote (Ugo @ May 13 2011, 18:49)
@ SlightlyLion: I'm not a Spotify customer as it can't be accessed from Italy, but I think I can most probably give you the answer. You are talking about the UK edition of L+S, right? Well, I remember two tracks being featured as bonuses on the UK edition of L+S: "Lakmé" [duration: 4:55] and "Cook's Tune" [3:15]. "Cook's Tune" appeared on the album as a sort-of ghost track (i.e. not listed on the cover or in the tracklist), coming after the end of "Lakmé" and preceded by about one minute of silence.

If the piece you found on Spotify is this one, you can be assured that it's not bogus: it's a Mike Oldfield piece in the tradition of his "funny" singles from the Seventies ("Cuckoo Song", "In Dulci Jubilo", etc.) and it's called "Cook's Tune". What probably happened on Spotify is that the people managing the service omitted "Lakmé" entirely, then they took the ghost track to be "Lakmé", hence the wrong title. But the ghost track is actually "Cook's Tune". :)

By the way, welcome to the board. I hope you will find yourself at home here. I've just one question for you: is your nickname inspired by a section in Mike's Amarok album? ;)

# Slightlylion - welcome! A much better name than Slightlylyin'  :laugh:

# Ugo - I'd have said "Cook's Tune" was jolly rather than funny. Still, in my opinion it's closer to being funny than the announcement of instruments in TB,which seems to me to have a solemn, mantra-like quality. (I know Mike's own opinion - as detailed in Changeling - is that the announcing of instruments is supposed to be humorous; but for the life of me I can't see it like that.)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 21 2011, 08:41

@ nightspore: the meaning in which, probably wrongly, I use the word "funny" in both cases (Cook's Tune and the announcements) is "not serious". I could describe "Cook's Tune" as a seriously silly piece :D, although it's played and constructed excellently. The announcements on the original TB have never sounded solemn to me... they've always sounded amusing, if not downright funny (in the meaning I used above), and that's why I think that Alan Rickman's "diction" of them on TB II sounds too serious to me, and unfitting to the style of the announcements themselves.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: May 23 2011, 06:34

Quote (Ugo @ May 14 2011, 00:49)

Cook's Tune cannot be found on the English version of Light And Shade, although it is mentioned on the English Wikipedia webpage. Included as bonus tracks are Prés de toi and Lakme (Fruity Loops).

Cook's Tune was only available as download exclusively via www.conrad.de in 128 kbs quality:

Video message by Mike Oldfield

;)
Profile PM 
6 replies since May 11 2011, 16:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net