Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Lakme, What does it mean?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 16:00

I don't recall ever seeing a discussion about this in this forum.  What is Lakme?  I googled it and came up with an Indian girl, an opera, a hardcore punk band, and a brand of cosmetics.  Do any of these have any relation to MO's Lakme?

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 16:25

It´s and opera by Leo Deblies,and its most famous piece was used by Mike on his version :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 18:36

The music has also been used for advertising in Europe, I believe, which have caused many Europeans to dislike the fact that Mike did his own version of what was for them a well-worn piece.

I'm guessing that you (Bill Bobaggins), like me, had never heard it before getting L+S.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 05:08

Yes, the original piece was used in an advert for an airline company. The track was really groundbreaking, and inspirational, effectively mixing operatic and contemporary instruments to create a beautiful soundscape.

I have it if anyone would like to hear.

-edit- Sorry, I should clarify, when I say original, I mean the airlines piece - not the Delibes it was inspired by.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 08:36

Also what does it mean cochise?
please let me know....
Want you like ???

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 09:10

Well it took me a while.  But I finally found it.  It is called "Sous Le Dome Epais" (The Flower Duet).  Here is a link to a page with a sound file.  I don't know if it's the commercial as I've never heard it.  Scroll down to Number 11.

http://www.audiosparx.com/sa/artist/sounds.cfm/artist_iid.1792

Other interesting notes:

I found a version of the song on an album called "Classical Chillout For Solo Piano".

There is another song from Lakme called "The Bell Song".  Interesting.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 09:19

Quote (arron11196 @ Mar. 05 2006, 10:08)
Yes, the original piece was used in an advert for an airline company.

This isn't the BBC ya know! :D

It was British Airways, they still use it, occasionally. :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 09:47

The music used in the Brit. Air. advert was "Aria on air" by Malcolm McLaren. It was his own version of Delibes's Flower Duet. I don't remember whether it was made especially for the commercial or not, but I know that McLaren loves classical music and has often played with it - this last sentence being meant quite literally. :)

@ Incantations2085 : Cochise was an Apache leader. See here  for more.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 09:55

The so called "Flower Duet" has been used in a car commercial over here.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 17:19

Quote (Incantations2085 @ Mar. 05 2006, 07:36)
Also what does it mean cochise?
please let me know....
Want you like ???

Do you mean Cochise on Guitars? If yes, better to ask there -- or -- do a forum search, which would net this (i.e., a forum topic on that subject in Q&A). Most of the links Korgscrew cited still work; you might also try here under the Encyclopedia of North American Indians. BTW, if that's the Cochise you meant, feel free to carry on under that topic rather than this one. Thanks! :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2006, 04:01

To make the list complete: Lakme was also used in a TV commercial for a perfume (Anaïs anaïs by Cacharel), in the Netherlands a few years ago.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 24 2007, 04:23

Whew! I'm glad I checked out this thread. I LOVE "dome epais". Since I'd just ordered Light & Shade, I went back and selected the extra tracks edition, instead.  :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 24 2007, 05:25

Quote (Sweatpea @ May 24 2007, 10:23)
Whew! I'm glad I checked out this thread. I LOVE "dome epais". Since I'd just ordered Light & Shade, I went back and selected the extra tracks edition, instead.  :)

i hope you have order the special edition, because it is a bonus song. It is not on the orginal album.
But on the special edition..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 24 2007, 13:03

Well, the first one I ordered was this edition, but I didn't see "Lakme" on it, so I canceled it and ordered this other edition. Looks like this one ships quicker, too, so that's a bonus for me.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 24 2007, 14:31

Quote (Sweatpea @ May 24 2007, 19:03)
Well, the first one I ordered was this edition, but I didn't see "Lakme" on it, so I canceled it and ordered this other edition. Looks like this one ships quicker, too, so that's a bonus for me.

superb  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 27 2007, 02:52

WOO-HOO! L+S arrived today. Only played it once, so far, and I'm feeling a bit giddy from it. :)

Oh, and I am sooooooo glad I got this special edition - 'Lakme' is gorgeous!

--------------
Profile PM 
15 replies since Mar. 04 2006, 16:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net