Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Lake Constance, actually nice and beautiful< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 21 2005, 21:30

This song is lovely indeed.. I really havent like millenium bell, but this night i offer my sleep to hear it again..
Gosh! Mike can do this! I think this album need applaus..
The only thing that im struggling whith is pacha mama.. with the lyrics "sexy woman"

But whatever; Lake Constance is beautiful and the acustic guitar is  really fantastic... I can imagine this song with Mont.St.Michel.
The start is just flowing in my mind. The orchesta chill my mood to the top when they start playing. This wave of clouds that touch my sense of this song, Good!!!
The flute is fine too, a really peace moment, but when mike starts to play hes guitar i almost cry. i dont know if its me but i have alot of feelings today...
This song is now one of my favorites

;)

All in all millienum is complexed in a way. There are good songs. And a funny bit is mastermind.  I can feel warm feelings from all the songs and the end of it is millienium bell. Then after the last bell im glad. The album is over and im happy...

its should have bell after millienium, but another title...

maybe millenium time.. idont know
the bell gives me that feeling that im thinking its a tubular album..

i like it anyway  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 22 2005, 05:13

I fully agree about Lake Constance. Whatever reservations one might have about Millenium Bell as a whole, Lake Constance alone is worth buying the album for. And you're right to point out the link with Mt St Michel too, I think. Both pieces share similar roots in the pastoral tradition that composers like Elgar and Vaughan Williams drew upon. I fancy there's a dash of Hollywood lushness in it too, though not so obviously as in Mt St Michel perhaps.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 22 2005, 08:17

Quote (TUBULARMAN @ April 22 2005, 03:30)
The only thing that im struggling whith is pacha mama.. with the lyrics "sexy woman"

In fact it's 'saqsaywaman', meaning 'speckled hawk' in Quechua. But it's maybe intentiously similar to the English 'sexy woman' expression.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: April 22 2005, 09:04

Quote (EeToN @ April 22 2005, 08:17)
In fact it's 'saqsaywaman', meaning 'speckled hawk' in Quechua. But it's maybe intentiously similar to the English 'sexy woman' expression.

yes thats why i wrote "sexywoman" because it sound like that  ;)
and that makes the song listen like very strange...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: April 22 2005, 18:28

Ah, sorry then. In fact, Pacha Mama is my favourite from TMB. ;) But I like also Lake Constance but with less enthusiasm than Mont St. Michel.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: April 22 2005, 18:47

Ive always loved TMB. I cant think of any other musician who could have crafted an album like this. Each piece of music perfectly reflects the period in time / event which Mike is portraying. I cant imagine Jean Michel Jarre creating such emotive music. Lake Constance is just a beautiful piece of music along with Broad Sunlit Uplands. I cant fault one single track on this album.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: April 22 2005, 19:53

Quote (EeToN @ April 22 2005, 18:28)
Ah, sorry then. In fact, Pacha Mama is my favourite from TMB. ;)

its okey Eeton...
Pacha mama is a good melody. In fact; that melody was my first favorite from TMB...
But the reason for bying TMB was the end tilte song millienum bell.. I remember first time heard this last part after the big bell.. that fast guitar and the song building up to a climax.. I really liked that..
And still do...  :)
It a very special album and its full of spirit i think. I liked it very much and loved the melodies. he have many good TMB  songs..
the problem is that they arent near his past albums..
they are quiet different in their ways..
But lake Constance is good near Mont. St Michel i think.

My most unliked favorites from TMB is Santa maria

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 22 2005, 21:28

I went to Lake Constance a few years ago, and actually made sure I had a copy of The Millenium Bell for the trip (in order to listen to it while on the lake). However, I managed to forget it and leave it in the car when it came time for the boat excursion on the lake!

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 23 2005, 13:57

A compliement I can make for "Lake Constance" is that it's one of the very few tracks on the album I don't hate with a passion. ;) I like it better than "Mont St. Michel", since it's more concise and packs more beauty in less running time. But I can't say I like it more than Robert Fripp's "Song Of The Gulls"

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 23 2005, 14:37

Quote (TUBULARMAN @ April 22 2005, 09:04)
Quote (EeToN @ April 22 2005, 08:17)

yes thats why i wrote "sexywoman" because it sound like that  ;)
and that makes the song listen like very strange...

Well one lives and learns. I have never bothered to check out what the lyrics actually were and have always thought 'Sexy Woman' spoiled a jaunty track!  :/

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 07 2007, 01:48

On first listen, I didn't see anything special about "Lake Constance", but I know better than to go with first (or even second or third) impressions with MO. Listening again the other night, I felt a bit overwhelmed (in a good way) by the lushness of this piece. I also felt silly for not noticing it's beauty before.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 07 2007, 03:23

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 07 2007, 06:48)
On first listen, I didn't see anything special about "Lake Constance", but I know better than to go with first (or even second or third) impressions with MO. Listening again the other night, I felt a bit overwhelmed (in a good way) by the lushness of this piece. I also felt silly for not noticing it's beauty before.

Don't you think it's a particularly good example of the 'romantic' Mike Oldfield? There are none of the usual sideways grins that we often get: he just lets himself wallow in the lush Hollywood-soundtrackness of it.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 07 2007, 05:16

Quote (Alan D @ July 07 2007, 03:23)
Don't you think it's a particularly good example of the 'romantic' Mike Oldfield? There are none of the usual sideways grins that we often get: he just lets himself wallow in the lush Hollywood-soundtrackness of it.

Absolutely. And since you mention soundtracks, I'm baffled as to why there isn't more MO film music.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: July 08 2007, 08:50

I still remember the first time I listened to Lake Constance. The first seconds I thought "Oh, well, it seems a nice piece", but after a pair of minutes I ended thinking "OMG, does this have an end?? And here it goes again... no more, pleeasee!" (no exaggeration intended). And the next listenings were much the same, though I usually just stopped it before getting too nervous (which is the feeling I get when listening it in its entirety). I think the english word that describes my feelings about it, could be "cloying" (note that I'm not talking about the objective quality of the piece).

I probably should listen to it again, to see if something inside me has changed since then.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 13 2007, 15:35

Trinidad, I've come to adore "Lake Constance", but I can see how it wouldn't be for all tastes. It seems to me to be a very 'classical' style piece. Which brings to mind the upcoming release of MO's first classical composition, The Music of the Spheres. Now, I know that Mike had said (in Changeling was it?) a classical work was something he'd yet to create, but I tend to think of some of his previous work as 'classical' - pieces such as this, Hergest Ridge, Mont St Michel, and others. The use of electric instruments, to my mind, doesn't take away the very strong classical feeling. This is one reason why I'm looking forward to MOTS.

--------------
Profile PM 
14 replies since April 21 2005, 21:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net