[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Korg M1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 02 1999, 11:38

I have noticed that Mike is very keen on
using his Korg M1. I am very interested in
this synth, because I play synths myself too.
Has anyone have some information?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 02 1999, 12:27

I have a Korg X5DR, which is more recent than the M1. Concerning synths sounds, here are my preferences: 1. Kurzweil, 2. Korg, 3. Roland

Mike seems to like a lot Roland (who is supposed to make a Millennium Bell sound), and for some unknown reasons, this Korg M1. As all synths, the keyboard is terrible. The sounds are good, but I think more recent synths have better sounds.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 03 1999, 04:40

I think that Mike uses the Korg M1 mainly as a master keyboard now for the more modern modules (such as the Roland JV-2080). He also seems to still use the Fairlight CMI, although some people still use Minimoogs and TB-303s so it's not that unusual to like old keyboards.

Great idea, Olivier! Hope the forum goes well.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 1999, 14:18

Hey! Thanks for the reply's!
Great this forum, Oliver!

I have a similair synthesizer as the Korg M1, the Technics WSA1. But it is terrible in
handeling it.

About that Minimoog, I think Moogs are great!
Only thing is that they are hard to find.
Anyone know where I can buy those?

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 1999, 16:00

There is a company in Wales which still build Minimoogs, but with MIDI (it's called Moog Music Ltd, I have an email contact :
enq-moog@dial.pipex.com
but this is from Ocober 1998). It cost £1,500 at the time of release (about the same as secondhand Moogs in the UK). Unless you buy secondhand, I don't know where else you can get one.

Let me know if you want to sell your Technics WSA1 (is it the keyboard or the module?) I heard that these were good synths that were not as successful as they should have been. They could do polyphonic physical modelling years before the Korg Z1, and could do long eveolving pad sounds which I love (Wavestations are a pain to program).

Anyone know how much secondhand Fairlights are? :-)
I know there used be a CDROM with a complete set of Fairlight's presets as SoundFonts, but I can't find who made it.
Profile PM 
Hans Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 1999, 18:25

There is a Fairlight (CMI Mk II)
for sale in Sweden. It's been for sale
quite some time now.
The price is now down to 24.900 sek
(~ 3000 usd)
It used to be 39.900 sek (~ 4500 usd)

If anyone is interested, go to:
http://www.jam.se/vintage.html

/Hans
Profile PM WEB 
Mizuno Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 1999, 20:57

Hi !

I think Mike uses the M1 as a master keyboard as Mat says. This machine is old and the sounds it makes are old too. IMHO, Roland's synths sound well better, execpt the "groove" toys !!

ps : Nice forum olivier :)
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 1999, 05:15

> Roland's synths sound well better, execpt the "groove" toys !!

Agreed, but I have to say that the 'D-Beam' controllers on those toys are a lot of fun though

Mat Cochrane
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 26 1999, 22:26

> Roland's synths sound well better

Hmm...not sure about that. I think it depends what music you're doing, etc...

There are some decidedly korg like sounds on TB3 in places - I don't know if these are the M1 or his TR rack (Korg have a habit of putting M1 sounds into everything...).

I've managed to get some fairly close approximations to some of his sounds out of my Korg X5D...maybe sometime I'll get round to doing a sounbank (I bet Olivier wouldn't mind a copy of that...).

On the CMI thing, those things can really sound destinctive...they're also huge, so I doubt I'd ever get one even if I had the money. Mike obviously loves (and has space for) his, or used to love it at least. Hear how it turns up all over his early - mid 80s albums (compare the sound of Five Miles Out with QE2...). Peter Gabriel did the same when he got his, using it on just about every song of at least one album (don't remember which right now).

BTW, the WSA1 managed polyphony by cheating slightly using samples as the 'driver' portion of the sound, rather than generating it in DSP like other modelling synths (Z1 included). Not a criticizm, though...I think thats a clever workaround in fact.
Profile PM 
MrShame Offline

Posted: June 21 2000, 06:13

I think Korg makes a lot of good sounds but they all sound very soft. Roland makes more raw sounds and are easier to handle. I love the Roland sound like you can hear on the Marilion albums like "Script for a Jester's tear" (Roland jupiter-8). I own a Korg X5 but sometimes I wish I had my old Yamaha DX-27 (little brother of DX-7). That machines really makes a lot of noise. Korg should have similar sounds of their synths...

MrShame
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2000, 22:27

I've got an M1 but I NEVER use it. It sounds like a piece of **** and I can't stand that cheap M1 clicking sound in 'Music from the Balcony'. The only thing about it is that is has a better keyboard than my other 2 synths, a Korg Prophecy and a Roland JX-1 (which I love although it's a toy really).
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2000, 16:07

Oh? Can I have your M1 then? smile

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2000, 20:15

If you'll swap it for a Minimoog!
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2000, 17:56

Hehe. smile If I had one, I wouldn't give it away for a million! wink

That's a great synth yes. Too bad Mike didn't used that synth in one of his albums. But he did say in that Keyboard Magazine interview that he played a Moog synthesizer once! smile

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2000, 20:53

Hmm, funny you should say that... I thought about that, too: why did Mike never use a Minimoog? But then, the reason probably is that he doesn't get the sound out of it he needs for his music...
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2000, 17:10

I couldn't have imagined Mike using a Nord Lead until TB3, I think that if he wanted to he could make it his sound.

I don't think that Minimoogs are good except for soloing on and effects, can you imagine Mike on an instrument which only plays one note at a time?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2000, 17:31

Eeeeh, Mike used the Roland SH-2000 a lot, like Incantations and Platinum and Blue Peter, and that's a synth which plays one note at the time too, you know. wink

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2000, 20:12

I can imagine Mike on just about any instrument... there are still a lot left for him to try!
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2000, 15:36

Hi, my friends.

I've got a KORG X3 and it's so good, it's the mean basement for my work as a musician. I think Korg digital sounds are soft, refinated and have an extremely good quality, as well as the sequencer provides a powerful range of possibilities for creation.

I agree with my colleage Blue Dolphin...it's part of myself...I couldn't sell it for a million...

O.K.! Don't worry... save a little... I got one for a good price by second hand...in perfect state.

I get a lot of sounds featured on Mike's CDs. I think synths are a basic and very important part of Mike and many other's creativity.

Regards.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2000, 12:30

Hehe.. cool, another dolphin wink wink

Yes, first I was complaining about my Technics WSA1, but after exploring it more, I realise it's a very very good synth! Just bad luck nobody knows the synth well, because of the name.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
19 replies since Nov. 02 1999, 11:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net