Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Keyboard effects unit, Either a good idea, or already been done< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
jonnyw Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 02 2007, 18:32

Hey, just going to throw ou a question here about something that would make my life a lot easier..

you know the way you can buy guitar effects pedals, and in some cases units, like POD's and V-Amps -can you get an effects unit fo a keyboard, say, you own a synth that doesnt have everything you want (say, you want a delay effect over your live sound) - surely it would be a good Idea to make a little unit, that you connect your existing keyboard by MIDI, and you can have a huge library of effects and sounds.

Has it already been done, and if so where can i buy one?

(I use a synthesizer live with my band, but have found that i need delay effects and Moog sounds - and the only way to get them is to connect a laptop and connect the MIDI to usb and use the VST's in the programs i use.....)

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2007, 17:12

Roland makes plenty of effects boxes and rack units for keyboards, including Moog simulators. You may want to check out this page, from their official website... ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 05 2007, 18:05

There's not really a massive market for it because most keyboards have effects on them already, and the kind of person who is using a keyboard in a home studio would likely have access to plug-ins and things like that to do further effects.

One thing you could do is buy a MIDI module that has better effects in it. This would also give you better basic synth sounds.

You can use guitar effects pedals, the cheaper ones are often quite limited in terms of the frequencies they can deal with but that in itself can make an interesting sound. In the past I've used guitar effects for distortion and some modulation effects where I needed "something different." Avoid the ones that often have multiple effects and are designed to come straight out to an amplifier because the impedance will often be quite wrong for keyboard/synth devices.

You might want to try some of the rack-mount "studio" units by companies such as Alesis, Zoom, Lexicon, Roland, Kurzweil, Eventide, TC Electronic or Yamaha. There aren't as many of these now as there used to be, but places like E-bay should have a few. I can give model numbers and things if you are interested.
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2007, 20:33

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Sep. 05 2007, 23:05)
There's not really a massive market for it because most keyboards have effects on them already, and the kind of person who is using a keyboard in a home studio would likely have access to plug-ins and things like that to do further effects.

One thing you could do is buy a MIDI module that has better effects in it. This would also give you better basic synth sounds.

You can use guitar effects pedals, the cheaper ones are often quite limited in terms of the frequencies they can deal with but that in itself can make an interesting sound. In the past I've used guitar effects for distortion and some modulation effects where I needed "something different." Avoid the ones that often have multiple effects and are designed to come straight out to an amplifier because the impedance will often be quite wrong for keyboard/synth devices.

You might want to try some of the rack-mount "studio" units by companies such as Alesis, Zoom, Lexicon, Roland, Kurzweil, Eventide, TC Electronic or Yamaha. There aren't as many of these now as there used to be, but places like E-bay should have a few. I can give model numbers and things if you are interested.

Yes, I have used lots of Diffrent devices before, including guitar pedals, and after consulting an old techer i used to have, he mentioned he had one lying around, a rack unit, that would be great.

My roland synth is ok on its own, but in particular I need a moog sound with delay, something i usually get with a connection to a laptop, that I dont want to use live.

Thanks for the help!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 06 2007, 15:07

If all you need is the delay I'd recommend the Line 6 DL4 which, despite looking like a guitar pedal, has stereo in and out and sounds great. It's derived from the (sadly now unavailable) Echo Pro rack-mount unit.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 15 2007, 14:29

It sounds to me, from the way you mention wanting a Moog sound, that what you're really after is something that combines an effects unit with a sound module.

What the best solution would be will depend on exactly what you want. If your delay requirements are quite basic, you might want to look at one of the virtual analogue sound modules which has an audio input. If it's only the Moog sound that you want the delay on, then you can even forget about the audio input.
I think I'd personally do it with a small mixer and something like the Novation A-Station, running an aux send from the mixer to the A-Station's mono input. That would give the option of connecting a mic to the mixer and using the A-Station's vocoder as well (though it would need to be fed from a pre-fader aux unless you want the voice to come through as well...which would in turn mean using the same pre-fader aux for the effects on the other synth. You'd then need to either just adjust that synth's volume by using its own volume control, or you'd need to remember to also adjust the send level if you make any adjustments with that channel's fader). The A-Station is a 1 unit rack module which is capable of a fairly wide range of sounds and has a selection of built-in effects. However, it doesn't sound particularly like any flavour of Moog (it depends exactly what you're after - it can of course get close to a lot of analogue synth sounds, but it's got its own character) and its effects are fairly basic and not as good quality as a dedicated rackmount unit, though they're quite usable and have a number of editable parameters. It's also more fiddly to use than its keyboard-toting brother the K-Station, because of its size. Still, it's not particularly expensive on the second hand market (it's been discontinued for a while) and I can't think of anything that would do a similar job for less money.
The fashion now seems to be more for mini keyboards than sound modules. If you don't mind carrying one of those, you could take a look at the Alesis Micron, Korg Microkorg or Novation's X-Station or XioSynth (or indeed the K-Station, which is a favourite of mine), all of which will let you route external audio through their effects.

If you want a unit which will create a Moog sound with delay on its own, there are all sorts of options. You could actually have a look at Creamware's Minimax, which I've heard does a very accurate Minimoog emulation...but that's all it does. It also seems like the delay is more basic even than that of the Novation A-Station, and it's fairly expensive. Further beyond that, of course, is the Little Phatty from Moog itself...

All depends on what your exact requirements and priorities are!
Profile PM 
5 replies since Sep. 02 2007, 18:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net