Group: Members
Posted: June 13 2008, 23:32

:laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 14 2008, 18:29

How did I miss this thread?

Kate Bush-------absolutley love Kate Bush. I was a member of her fan club years ago, don't think they are around anymore, but I still have the framed pictures of Kate they sent me. And the personal letter she wrote welcoming you to the fan club, very cool.

Anyways, I also love the Babooshka outfit, very nice. But I do love what she wore on The Dreaming video though.  ;)

Now, Hounds of Love is a wonderful album, and I do play it often, but The Dreaming is my fav album.

For Hounds of Love, I do find myself listening to the Ninth Wave more than the first side. Only because I rather love Kate when she writes with a bit of darkness, strange, lucid stuff. Other than the pop-like stuff she did for the first side. The Dreaming to me, is the ultimate in Kate's wonderful, music back then. And I find Ninth Wave a bit like a sequel in a way. I play both back to back, and for some reason it fits within me. It maybe just me, but I was someone that played Kate's music constantley, letting the music become me, I always felt so relaxed. Exactley what I feel when I hear Mike's music.

I always say what I would love to hear is Kate singing on a Mike Oldfield song. I think the both of them would work very well together.

Talk about b-sides like Under The Ivy, which I also love as well. I love My Lagan Love:

When rainy nights are soft with tears,
And Autumn leaves are falling,
I hear his voice on tumbling waves
And no one there to hold me.
At evening's fall he watched me walk.
His heart was mine.
But my love was young, and felt
The world was not cruel, but kind.
Where Lagan's light fell on the hour,
I saw him far below me--
Just as the morning calmed the storm--
With no one there to hold him.
My loves have come, my loves have gone,
And nothing's left to warn me,
Save for a voice on the traveling wind,
And a glimpse of a face at morning.

Beautiful, and her voice is haunting, mesmerising, perfect. Brilliant!!!!!

Hello Earth is one chilling song that is my fav on the album, the choir throughout the song is amazing.

Sorry, I can't articulate words as well as the rest of you, as what I have read from all of your posts are a wonderful read, thank you. :)

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 17 2008, 06:34

Well I had to go and remind myself exactly what Kate did wear in that Dreaming video on youtube.Nice one yeah.It looks a lot better on Kate than it ever did on David Bowie that`s for sure.Major Tom to ground control.I`m not having much joy trying to hitch a ride in the outback...    :D

Anyway whilst on youtube i found this short clip of Kate Bush making tea which is just absolute pure gold.OMG I can`t stop watching it.
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 18 2008, 15:57

Brilliant/ Thanks Dirk for that link. Wonderful. She is so beautiful, and her voice just tops it off.

Here is another link which I found on Youtube, of the making of "WoW" which has some good stuff with Kate on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgcGgfgCaRQ&NR=1

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 19 2008, 09:18

I *love* wow! Strange I don't think I'd ever heard her speaking voice before and it wasn't what I had expected!

Resulting full video of wow here.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: June 19 2008, 12:48

Thanks Matt, that video had live shots, I heard, from her only live video release, plus the studio shots she filmed. I used to have this vid from Hammersmith, haven't seen it on dvd though.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 15:33

To finish off, if I look at The Ninth Wave in terms of a literal meaning, The Morning Fog has got to be a big jolt back to life from near death, surely, with these lyrics:-

The light
Begins to bleed
Begins to breath
Begins to speak...

(..saw the light, that it was good) :).

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 17:06

I'd like to make a few interesting observations, if I may.  First, I'd always understood "And Dream of Sheep" to be the character already in the sea at night, drifting in and out of consciousness, with the 'little light' on her life-jacket.  If so, the rest of The Ninth Wave could be her delirium as she floats alone in the cold sea, dreaming of events invoked by her nervous system's physical reaction to her predicament affecting her brain.  Therefore, "The Morning Fog" could be her actually being rescued.  

"The Infant Kiss" is not about paedophilia - it's based on the film "The Innocents" (based on Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw"), in which a nanny perceives the ghost of a dead, seducing adult to have taken over the body of a young boy in her charge.  This is according to Kate herself, and is backed up if you watch the film.

All this food for thought on a Mike Oldfield forum!  Brilliant.  A much better level of appreciation and analysis than I've found on forums actually dedicated to Kate!    :)

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 09 2010, 17:09

My fave is "Hello Earth".  It's soooo cinematic.  The arrangement, the orchestra, the otherworldly wailing.  It's a sumptuous recording.

Miami Vice

Edited by manintherain on Mar. 09 2010, 17:13
Profile PM 
48 replies since May 26 2008, 07:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net