Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Just read "The Songs of Distant Earth"... WOW!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jerky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 28 2002, 12:55

I just finished reading The Songs of Distant Earth by Arthur C. Clark and I have a renewed admiration for the MO album of the same name.

I loved the album before, and now I love it even more. After reading the book, the music and melodies take on a whole new meaning! I can actually visualize the scenes to the music (i.e. the track "Magellan").

Ironically, I was reading the book while on honeymoon in Ibiza 2 weeks ago. I wish I knew that Mike was living there before going... oh well.

- Jerky.

PS. I'm new here... been listening to MO since 1994 and have most of his albums. smile
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: June 28 2002, 16:54

would be interesting to read that book...but i don't know can i get it in finland. have to chack that...

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 30 2002, 17:07

I also have the TSODE book, but I first have to make time to read it.  :D

I ordered the book at my local book shop a while ago, and had to wait a couple of weeks before it arrived (it had to be shipped from England).

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 06 2002, 06:24

It certainly is a very interesting book. It is definatley one of the best I've read (and I've read a LOT ;) ). I like the concept, and I can strongly visualise many of the scenes. It's mainly an excellent novel, apart from the chapter Ascension (??? :p )

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: July 06 2002, 06:49

i know it very well now, as i did a school project on it. it got an A as well.
!

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Mary-Carol
Unregistered

Posted: July 10 2002, 21:51

To theweighless......

Bet you can get it through your local library (they can probably borrow it for you if they don't own)... if you don't want to read in English, it seems to have been translated into Finnish as per information in a database at http://fennica.linneanet.fi/ :
Author(s): Clarke, Arthur C. Title: Kaukaisen maan laulut / Arthur C. Clarke ; suom. Matti Kannosto  Published: Hki : Kirjayhtymä, 1987 Material: 257 p., [1] s. ; 21 cm
Original Title: The songs of distant earth Format: book
ISBN: 951-26-2999-2 (sid.), 128 mk Classification: UDK:820 -3 Other Author(s): Kannosto, Matti
Database Name: Helsingin yliopiston kirjasto

I don't understand Finnish--hope there is something there that helps. ???

Good luck! It's really worth the challenge of finding!

M-C
theweightless Offline

Posted: July 11 2002, 03:28

thank you very much Mary-Carol...i think you've done better job finding information of that book  :) i did not find anything in  my language...are you sure you're not finnish  :D and the library...i never tought about that  :/ well, i'm going find it today...

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Andy
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 20:22

Hey can anyone help me with my novel study  i need the main char and the Main events mail me at Keeper_of_hell@hotmail.com
Andy
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 20:25

Hey cmon mail me or @ least reply
foley
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 07 2003, 20:27

dude ask me bout the book andy ive read it 9 times post a reply im here allthe time  :p
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2003, 14:57

When you have finished TSODE book, move on to one of his best books and soon to be a film.

'Rendezvous with Rama', There is a total of four books in the series, but the first book is brilliant, about a massive alien  spaceship heading towards earth and the other books expands on Rama, its occupants and objectives.

Rendezvous with Rama.... A C Clarke
Rama II.....AC Clarke and Gentry Lee
Garden of Rama .....AC Clarke and Gentry Lee
Rama Revealed.....AC Clarke and Gentry Lee

Good reading and look out for the film.

Cheers MO fan. :D
Profile PM 
NorthStarOne Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2003, 21:34

Sorry to say  only liked the book because Mike based the music on it, and the music enhanced it. Sadly I find the writings of Arthur C Clarke ok as the story goes, but theres very little character development.  :p Which goes for most of his novels.. Im still glad that Mike did the album though, It injects a lot into the book, and it will always be my favorite album..
Profile PM 
luke 666
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 16:27

hi all..
I have read TSODE as my 1st sci-fi book, and I must say it's the best I've read. IMNSHO Rendezvous with Rama is really excelent book, but other ones (in cooperation with Gentry Lee) isn't as good as the first one (I've heard many opinions saying it is f..k...).

something for the theweightless:
there is only some sci-fi books I don't borrowed from library - "I've heard Earth", "The Earth is too far" and "Discovery vs. itself" (not by ACC).
theweightless Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 14:21

finally found and read this book..nice one, but not anything special..i've read only three a. c. clarke books and 3001 : the final odyssey is best what i've read so far from him :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: May 12 2003, 10:09

Northstar... read the Rama series. It's all about character development... by far the strongest thing Clarke has written..
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: May 13 2003, 04:29

Quote (theweightless @ May 10 2003, 21:21)
finally found and read this book..nice one, but not anything special..i've read only three a. c. clarke books and 3001 : the final odyssey is best what i've read so far from him :cool:

Have you read Childhood's End (Lapsuuden Loppu in finnish)? Personally I consider it to be Clarke's finest book (though I can understand how some people would disagree).
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: May 13 2003, 04:34

no i haven't yet..i will soon  :cool:  i've got all summer time to read

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
CapnBiggles
Unregistered

Posted: June 13 2003, 15:11

Quote (theweightless @ May 13 2003, 04:34)

I read the book years before I discovered the music. It was totally sweet to know there was a real connection. Magellan, as was said, made the best impact and connection for me.

What a stellar album, and I really enjoyed the book.
SentinelGard Offline

Posted: June 18 2003, 03:17

Hi Jerky. You are right thie album is a magic piece of music
and has a certain something that alot of music now day hasn't (sole)....

--------------
"Onwards & Upwards'"
Profile PM WEB 
gadgetcoder Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2004, 13:56

Mike is a brilliant composer.  This album (The Songs of Distant Earth) is possibly the finest music ever written.  My ONLY criticism is that it doesn't completely follow the order of the events in the book.  Also, some things are actually borrowed from other Clarke books, though this is understandable because of the way Clarke writes.  He oftens mingles stories plotlines in different versions of his books.  He himself admits this.  

It is the first time I ever went out of my way to find a book - in fact in this case, 4 books containing different version of the story - because of a piece of music.  I was not disappointed.  

After reading the book (the novella version of TSODE), I finally understood the bittersweet nature of "Ascension".  I found myself "hearing" the music while I read the story as if I were in a theatre.

Whenever I am depressed I can listen to this album, and KNOW that I will feel inspired by the time it is done.  Each new album I find of Mike's brings new joys.  I recently discovered "Tr3s Lunas" - (I didn't realize it was OLDER than "TSODE", it has a later publish date in the US.)  Another brilliant, uplifting piece of work.

Best to all - especially to Mike, who through his music, I consider a friend.

gadgetcoder

p.s. - I am a drummer, and often play to his music, just to relax.
Profile PM 
20 replies since June 28 2002, 12:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net