Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Just a piece of rubbish!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
goodjob Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 05 2006, 17:47

I can't understand why so many people likes TSODE. I think it sounds really bad.
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2006, 17:56

Do you think maybe you could expand on such a detailed and balanced analysis, and perhaps tell us WHY you think it's really bad?

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2006, 18:07

What are you comparing it with?  try comparing it with Killing Fields - it's a theme album witten around Arthur C clarkes concepts - try reading the book while you listen to it - then it is in context.

If you still don't like it - send it to me, i'll give it to my kids. :D

Ray   :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 05 2006, 18:08

And what's wrong with The Killing Fields, may I ask??   :O

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2006, 18:15

Noooo You miss the point.  Its a theme album written as a film score so if you hear it while not looking at the film you MAY not like it as a stand alone piece of music ( and i'm not saying I dont like it) - but you would be listening to it out of context - like TSODE - it was written based on a book.

Of all MO's albums these are the only two (I can think of just now) that are such.

So you cant compare TSODE with Ommadawn for example.  It would be like comparing a range rover with fiat punto!  they are built for different purposes and different audiences.   If you get my drift.

Ray  ;)

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 05 2006, 20:12

Ooooooh - I get you now! And I agree with you in as much as I believe that The Killing Fields should be considered within it's context as a film score.

But I also believe that TSODE works beautifully as a stand-alone piece of music. I'd never read the book before hearing it(although I've since been tempted to try and track it down - do you recommend it, ray?) but this hasn't detracted from my appreciation of TSODE.

Also - regarding the differing purposes of Ommadawn and "narrative" pieces of music such as TKF and TSODE, I've often thought of Ommadawn as an extremely cinematic piece of music - very appropriate for an epic film soundtrack or something similar.  I did an example breakdown of which bits of a (hypothetical) film would fit which bits of Ommadawn somewhere. I'll see if I can find it...

--------------
Profile PM 
goodjob Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 05:07

I doesn't sound like mike! It sounds like backgroundmusic for a spa or something.

It's just some funky drums with pads and weird voices. The only thing that you can here is oldfield is the guitars and Tubular World...
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 05:28

I used to find it very dull myself and used to use it as music to sleep with on the coach when travelling, but one time on the coach I listened to it and thought "actually, it's a bit repetitive at times but this is excellent" and stayed focussed the whole time. Bit annoying at the time but I suddenly started appreciating it. No idea why.

But I think I see where you're coming from. I still don't think it's one of Mike's best but I do enjoy it these days.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 05:40

I doubt if reading the novel would have much effect for someone who didn't like the music in the first place, but I found it significantly enhanced my own enjoyment of it.

I remember being disappointed with it the first few times of listening, thinking that much of it sounded too 'computerised', too 'mechanical'. But it gradually nudged its way under my guard, because somehow it seemed in keeping with the kind of associations that lie behind it, and now I regard it with deep affection as one of Mike's finest productions - indeed as a contender for the top spot.

[goodjob wrote:]
It doesn't sound like mike!

If I could only take five minutes-worth of Mike Oldfield onto my desert island, it would be 'Let There Be Light'. Surely that sounds like Mike Oldfield, doesn't it? There's no one else who could have made 'Let There Be Light'.
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 16:16

if it doesn't sound like mike then i dont know!
TSODE reeks of mike, the haunting guitars, the way each track fades into the next, it has mike written all over it, and as i have said before, its the best album of recent times (i dont count TB2003, it a re-work!;)

give it a chance you might find you like it!

i am biased though as its in my top three mike albums.

;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Hoot Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 17:40

NOooooooooo I cant believe someone dosnt like it, I listen to it and just cant think how someone dosnt like it

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 17:58

Quote (goodjob @ Oct. 06 2006, 05:07)
I doesn't sound like mike!

What does Mike sound like, though.  Compare Hergest Ridge to Platinum to Orabidoo to The Wind Chimes to Amarok to Tubular Bells III and you'll find that with every single album, Mike has attempted something new. Something which, although obviously Mike-ish is distinctly different from the albums before it. I like Mike's albums because they're all part of his experimental process, and I think TSODE is just another part of that process :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 22:04

Quote (goodjob @ Oct. 05 2006, 17:47)
I can't understand why so many people likes TSODE. I think it sounds really bad.

You did a very BAD JOB on this thread!!!!!!!!  :(

;)

but it's a kickass album!! superb

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2006, 22:06

Quote (goodjob @ Oct. 05 2006, 17:47)

Now you're being VERY provocative too!!

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2006, 04:38

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Oct. 06 2006, 22:58)
What does Mike sound like, though.  Compare Hergest Ridge to Platinum to Orabidoo to The Wind Chimes to Amarok to Tubular Bells III and you'll find that with every single album, Mike has attempted something new. Something which, although obviously Mike-ish is distinctly different from the albums before it.

Excellent point, Tony. What has always intrigued me is how in the work of the greatest artists, no matter how experimental they may be, there is always that core that you can recognise - in MO's case, your 'Mike-ishness'. It always seems impossible to define, and yet it's so clearly recognisable.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2006, 05:01

It is most certainly not a piece of rubbish even if it's not his best.  Actually I like it!  Is this a windup?
Profile PM 
Tubular ireland Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2006, 13:44

i think this album is excellent, it did take me a while to adjust to it but as i find in all mikes albums the more you listen to them the more you get to love them. to say its really bad is quite shocking!! but we all have our opinions, thats what makes us all different!   :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2006, 18:29

I agree completely with the person who started this thread. It's Mike's worst album. Not to fond of Millenium Bell either, but TSODE was the worst disappointment.
It's hard to explain why, but if I heard the album without knowing it was Mike I would have thought it was some dreary newage artist with Mike guesting on guitar. Mike used to be such an intense, hyperactive artist. Things were happening all over his records, but TSODE is flatt and lacks surprises.
I bought it and sold it a few days later.

I knew a guy who was a junkie at the time, and *he* (of all people) told me I should listen to the new MO album (being TSODE at the time, and the guy didn't know I am a MO fanatic).
I didn't know Mike had a new album out, but of course I rushed to the record store and bought a copy.
I should have taken it as a warning when my pothead friend recommended it. He was usually into everything that was instant and "groovy" and good for "chilling out" - i.e. anything that synchronized with his slowed-down brain activity.

It's a newage easy listening album, and that was the last thing I expected from Mike, even after TBII (which wasn't terribly radical, but at least there was stuff going on all the time).

So, the album.....I don't really like it  ;)

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 08 2006, 21:12

on my top 5!  :D
what a heck is wrong with it?  :O
i cant find one thing i dont like with it. Maybe the joika man but that is only few minutes in a paradise listening he he..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2006, 02:18

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 08 2006, 23:29)
It's a newage easy listening album, and that was the last thing I expected from Mike

Well, as long as I've been listening to Mike Oldfield (i.e since about 1979) there have been substantial numbers of people who've described his music as 'musak'; 'musical wallpaper'; and, later, 'new age'. None of them was right. They were all the kind of comments made by people who hadn't found a way into the music, and therefore assumed that the only way to 'use' it was to play it in the background and effectively ignore it.

TSODE is no exception. It isn't 'easy listening', nor is it 'new age'. It's Mike Oldfield exploring (at that time, for him) a new kind of musical expression. He really is exploring, and the music is very rich. I don't use it as background music - when I play it, I invariably listen with concentration and full engagement, and I find it rewards that degree of focus. It's full of drama and incident - and these are not normally qualities possessed either by new age or by easy-listening music.

But obviously it won't work for everyone; it's not to everyone's taste. I can readily understand why some might dislike it. But that doesn't mean it can be dismissed as 'easy listening'. To say that is, I think, to make the same mistake as many people have done with regard to the whole of Mike's oeuvre.
Profile PM 
144 replies since Oct. 05 2006, 17:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net