Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Just a piece of rubbish!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AlexS Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 01 2007, 06:12

It angers me to see such an accomplished piece of work slated by fans just because they don't like it. This album may be quite different to many of his previous works, so it may not cater to all tastes. For me, TSODE os a million times better than anything Mike did in the 80s and I still rate it as  one of his greatest musical works and my personal favourite albums.

I only knew a couple of his albums at the time of its release and when I heard it, I was blown away by the beauty of the music and the atmospheres it created, all held together perfectly by the concept.

Ths is an album I never tire of.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 01 2007, 09:22

I wouldn't be so hard on myself. It's all opinion, and a person has the full right to praise and slate a piece of work as long as it stays within the realm of his own opinion, without trying to state a fact; and the fact that a certain portion of people like the work very much is not a good reason to stop other people from criticising it. I mean, I'm a fan of Heaven's Open, I'm on to something here. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
onion Offline

Posted: May 01 2007, 14:17

I have all MO albums except 2...TSODE and Light & shade ...

TSODE I find boring and predictable...I have tried several times to soak it in, but alas......YAWN  :zzz:

Light & shade - ...what a piece of sh*t...don´t even get me started on this one  :/  ;)   MO almost lost me as a future buyer of his records because of that album, but the news on his forthcoming album I am very excited about.

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2007, 21:57

Does anyone besides me get the giggles when they see this thread title?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 06:57

What on Earth could you mean, Sweetpea?  :p  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2007, 09:24

I'm playing this album for the first time as I write this ... and from what I've heard far (up to Prayer for the Earth) I just love every track.

So much so that I'm repeating "Oceania" and "Only Time Will Tell" both absolutely sublime - love the new age/Enigma hints in the latter too.

Hope the rest of the album is this good.
Profile PM 
Romendacil Offline

Posted: May 07 2008, 17:10

I can really see why people would find this repetive, boring and shallow.

It isn't, though.

This album never bores me, when I listen to it all the way through. The synth pads don't annoy me. And I can listen to the same guitar melody as many times as it repeats there with joy.

I think a big part of the process of enjoying music, is not simply listening, but fantasysing to it! You have to think with it, move with it and explore it. Imagine with Mike people!

And it's a brilliant musical piece to do that with. I find the simple chords very thought evoking. It really captures the mood of Earth, viewed from out of space. Personally musical complexity isn't that much of an issue to me. A piece does not have to be in 11/8 and C sharp major, with loads of shifts in the keys, to ceep me interested for a long time.

Take it as it is, a simple piece of art, where you have to find the fine nuances yourself.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 16 2008, 05:36

Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 12 2007, 04:16)
it contains some daring things that make for a challenging first listen - like his sustained use of the single repeated note in the 'Only Time' section. To keep that going for so long was a brave and innovative thing to do, because on first hearing it's so unexpected, even unpleasant - yet it achieves an effect that couldn't be achieved any other way.

That repeated note is effective, I agree. If I recall correctly, it's carried over from the previous track, "Oceania", yes? Just one of the things that make TSODE such a satisfying 'start-to-finish' listening experience.

Quote (New Incantation @ Oct. 11 2007, 09:24)

I'd really like to know what you thought of the whole album, New Incantation.

Quote (Romendacil @ May 07 2008, 17:10)
I think a big part of the process of enjoying music, is not simply listening, but fantasysing to it! You have to think with it, move with it and explore it. Imagine with Mike people!

That's an interesting way of looking at it. The last part sounds like an ad slogan, though.  :laugh:  *imagines 'IWMP' on T-shirts and bumper stickers*

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: May 16 2008, 07:43

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 12 2007, 21:57)

I do - every time :)

This is one of my top 5 - every member of my family likes it - which I can't say for any of the rest (though different folks like different albums).
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 16 2008, 10:44

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 12 2007, 21:57)

I nearly do: it's funny 'cos it's true.

(is it possible to build an annoy-o-meter, or something like that? I think I'm breaking new grounds here. It's a kind of therapy, I believe; or maybe I just got bored of saying pleasant things? I dunno)

(PS: forgot to clarify that, this time, I did it just "for the lulz", not because I mean it)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 16 2008, 15:35

Well, Sir M, this is after all the 'it's rubbish' thread, so you can't be accused of going off-topic.  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 16 2008, 16:40

... hey... that's true! :D

TSODE SUXXXX!

... wait, that's not annoying: it's just lame.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Atrastorm Offline

Posted: May 20 2009, 06:10

I think TSODE sounds like a preview of what mike sounded like in the early "naughties" and who can deny how beautiful the solo in crystal clear is, I love the album!
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: May 20 2009, 07:55

Quote (Sweetpea @ May 16 2008, 10:36)
Quote (Alan D @ Feb. 12 2007, 04:16)
it contains some daring things that make for a challenging first listen - like his sustained use of the single repeated note in the 'Only Time' section. To keep that going for so long was a brave and innovative thing to do, because on first hearing it's so unexpected, even unpleasant - yet it achieves an effect that couldn't be achieved any other way.

That repeated note is effective, I agree. If I recall correctly, it's carried over from the previous track, "Oceania", yes? Just one of the things that make TSODE such a satisfying 'start-to-finish' listening experience.

Quote (New Incantation @ Oct. 11 2007, 09:24)

I'd really like to know what you thought of the whole album, New Incantation.

A rather belated reply to your query. But yes, I can quite categorically say this album ranks in my top 5 emotional MO albums so far.

Three tracks stand out for special mention, "Oceania" & "Only Time" were truly awesome, and that repeated one-note signature that threads through both songs enhances the experience rather than distracts.

The other song is "Crystal Clear" - Mike playing guitar along with the vocal countdown, really sent shivers down my spine. Its the kind of song where you only really get the benefits by wearing  a good pair of headphones in order to appreciate every nuance both in the back & foreground - quite literally "crystal clear" in fact!

Bravo, and very far from a "rubbish album" IMO
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: May 20 2009, 10:41

I might ought to give that one another listen. As I recall I detested it when it came out. Too written-out like the Wind Chimes. Technology was starting to bury the Hergest Ridge-ness of MO....and I had a prejudice develop. TB2 was "written-out" but I adored it since it's release.... After that I started using event mode a lot more in the version of Cakewalk that existed at that time, which means my prejudice....there's an old saying "Pot's calling the kettle blacK".  I'll keep TSODE in the car for a while....

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 20 2009, 14:05

Quote (Romendacil @ May 07 2008, 17:10)
I can really see why people would find this repetive, boring and shallow.

It isn't, though.

I don't mind repetetive, boring or shallow. What I can't stand is the dolphin-poster aesthetic and the etno-kitsch.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: May 20 2009, 17:36

TSODE SUXXXX, oh dear, surely there is no way this reply could be submitted even  on this thread.
un-funny,un-clever, un-big, all in all Un.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: May 30 2009, 11:48

The "problem" with this album is that people tend to analyse music rather than feel it.
For example; if you finally got Amarok in your heart, and you are very fond of the complexity and detail of this work, how else could you then be dissapointed in TSODE? It almost certainly would reek of new age rubbish.

It is very tough to just let music be what it is, without putting labels on to it. But it may take a while for a person to understand that simple music and simple chord progression can be as deep and rewarding as a piece like Amarok.

It does require the listener to let go of his idea of what music should and shouldn't be. Only then you can recognize the beauty and the brilliance of TSODE. It mostly appeals to your feelings, describes another world, it sounds almost 'afterlife-ish', but not the musak crap that is arround already where there is no tension at all. It's not simply chill out like tr3s lunas either.

To me, this is the peak of his second golden decenia. The 70's and the 90's were this best.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 30 2009, 14:34

Quote (Jesse @ May 30 2009, 11:48)
The "problem" with this album is that people tend to analyse music rather than feel it.

Actually, you're most likely to find people who hate a given piece of music because they "feel" it's awful, rather than people who have analysed it and can give you careful, sensible reasons.

For example; if you finally got Amarok in your heart, and you are very fond of the complexity and detail of this work, how else could you then be dissapointed in TSODE? It almost certainly would reek of new age rubbish.

It does, to me. More specifically, the album reeks of rubbish because other artists have set out to do the same thing and fared way, way better than Oldfield did here, to me. It's a question of personal preference, and I doubt you can explicitly determine if "heavenly, spacey synth chord X sounds better than heavenly, spacey synth chord Y". Some people like the sound of this album, others don't. I don't. The music is way too reckless to be profound, and way too aimless to be dynamic. That's the way I see it, and I'm a big fan of Amarok.

That's my analysis, and that's the best job I can do in trying to explain it. But you're wrong if you say I don't "feel" the album; I did feel it. Matter of fact, I did experience a near epiphany when I finally "felt" it, and I "felt" that it sucks.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 30 2009, 19:28

My response to TSoDE is probably the oddest of anyone's: at times I think it's a terrific album, full of soaring emotion; at others I think it's moves are too obvious and its percussion overdone. ("Lament for Atlantis" I always like though!;).
Profile PM 
144 replies since Oct. 05 2006, 17:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net