Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Just a piece of rubbish!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Big BellEnd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 30 2009, 20:04

And yet again Mustapha fall's on his sword, what a pity.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 30 2009, 20:52

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 16 2008, 20:40)
... hey... that's true! :D

TSODE SUXXXX!

... wait, that's not annoying: it's just lame.

OH Sir M, you know that's not true, as my vacuum cleaner REALLY SUXXXX  :D  :laugh: !!!!!!!

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: May 31 2009, 08:23

But your analysis of the music itself will alter your feelings about it as well. I guess my point is that in order to fully get a piece you need to be able to listen to it with a complete open mind, which can be quite hard to do as a fan, as you already have an idea of how MO should sound like.

edit: But you are right that is also comes down to personal preference, ofcourse. It just seems utterly ridiculous that someone could miss the beauty of this. It's like watching a sunset and then go 'oh, what is up with the purple sky? that is so new age and done before' ;)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 31 2009, 11:06

<admin rant on>The person who started this topic hasn't logged in for a couple of years.  It is precisely the kind of topic title that we do not like to see, primarily because it is so generic. In our guidelines (which will be updated soon), we state, "Title your topics as descriptively as possible, e.g., “Mike’s use of guitar effects” rather than, “What do you think?” Topic titles are limited to 50 characters."  "Rubbish" may be descriptive in a totally negative, strong adjective sort of way, but it is also very generic and non-descriptive at the same time. </admin rant off>

TSODE is in my top five and pretty-much stays there--the emotional connection to it runs very deep and I am wired to love it. And for me, that's what music is all about. Analysing can be interesting and helpful--so can dissecting a frog (where would we be without our knowledge of anatomy) but for me, it's the organic whole and how I respond to that. How does the result sync with my soul? Like many people, I usually interact with music in ways other than sitting in a room listening to it.  "First listens" are either while running or driving. When I am getting to know new music, I can't help categorizing it--no not by genre, but.....Can I dance with it (I have danced to everything from a single drum to classical ballets)? Continue to run with it? Bake cookies with it? Drive? Sit in the sun or cry with it? Maybe someday die with it? Or...."ohmigod! My stomach! Get this thing away from me NOW!!"  (for example, when my middle child's Cradle of Filth synced to my iPod and popped up on 'shuffle'--though I am actually finding pieces of Cradle that I like). Or, simply, "Forget this one." Can't connect. At least for that moment, or life-stage. I do go back and re-visit things, whether it is Cradle of Filth (trying hard to connect to my daughter), rap (the other one), Dylan, Joni, opera, or some of Mike's stuff. Some of it I may never connect to (e.g., my youngest daughter's rap artists, opera, "Islands").

I like what you say, Jesse, about listening to a new piece with a complete open mind and how difficult that can be.  Lucky for me, I find Mike is so varied that I truly don't have a clue as to what it should sound like and I have an optimistic streak, so guess that helps. He was beginning to lose me with EM, even though I absolutely love a couple of pieces on it. But after EM, I was still optimistic that I could connect emotionally to the next work. For me it was TBII, since I didn't know about Amarok until 1997.

Back to TSODE for a MO. It came into my life at a very pivotal point. By August of 1994 I'd just had my last child, had moved 1,000 miles from "home," and was listening to Jon and Vangelis and Gorecki way too much. I was depressed, missing family, friends, and my job. One day, my ex found TSODE while rummaging around in a record shop and picked it up for me. It was the turning point, snapping me out of my funk and helping me to reengage with life. Maybe other artists were doing the same thing and better, but I wasn't listening to them. TSODE was there in a very profound, rescuing-type way. It remains one of my favorite complete works to dance with, drive, etc. I just really, really like it. :)  I also liked the book and the entire concept.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 31 2009, 15:21

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ May 30 2009, 20:04)
And yet again Mustapha fall's on his sword, what a pity.

Strange how you lose your sense of humour (?) completely when you talk about me. Are you stalking me, or something?

But your analysis of the music itself will alter your feelings about it as well. I guess my point is that in order to fully get a piece you need to be able to listen to it with a complete open mind, which can be quite hard to do as a fan, as you already have an idea of how MO should sound like.

I have no idea how Oldfield "should" sound like. I don't dislike The Songs of Distant Earth because it sounds different; Music of the Spheres also sounds very different and I like it a lot. Second, I don't mind altering my feelings for a piece of music. Our feelings can be wrong, too, you know. What I always try to achieve is an inner consensus, and sometimes that's hard to achieve. With The Songs of Distant Earth, it was hard; it actually took quite a while before I was fully convinced I just didn't like the album at all. I did open my mind to it; but out mind sometimes is a hell of an unpredictable thing. What happens when you open your mind and, instead of showing you a new side of things, it shows you were right all along? Maybe you didn't open your mind enough? Maybe you should try closing it instead? :)

I think there are WAY too many different things involved when it comes to enjoying music. Narrowing it down to "opening the mind" or not is too strict.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 19:08

Listened to this a couple of times again earlier this week - really enjoyed it yet again.  I had also spent some time fiddling with my amp settings which must have worked, I noticed some very subtle elements to many tracks I had missed before which added to the pleasure.

Some tracks on this CD are just breathtakingly beautiful - and some wonderful piano and guitar work.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 19:56

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 31 2009, 15:21)
it actually took quite a while before I was fully convinced I just didn't like the album at all.

Actually, I know what Sir M means here. Sometimes I can listen to TSoDE and think it's Mike's best album, and other times it completely leaves me cold (with the exception of "Lament for Atlantis", which I always like). I have no idea why this should be.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 02:24

I'm not an audiophile but finds that this album sounds very different on different (not very high end) systems. I don't even know if recommending a particular system (like he almost did on TB sleeve?) would make sense or if it also depends on your ears.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 02:58

Some of it is rubbish, I agree: however, I think we should focus on the best parts of TSODE.

They are severely underestimated, and belong to the History of music. The intro with Bill Anders from Apollo 8, then Let There Be Light, and the first say 2 minutes of track 3... WONDERFUL!!!

To me, an absolute magnificent contribution by Mike; such a feeling, spirit, such a balance in fine details. Billion times more interesting than 99.999% of the music produced in the 20th century.

Then, Mike adds something highly innovative in the transition between track 6 and 7. The pretty simplistic track 6 becomes in the end very telling: we hear Life in form of birds etc, overlaid with the monotone computer sound; we understand that it is in the spirit of Clarkes book, the Life is extinct on Earth and must artificially be carried for 1000s of years to other stars; this is the sound between tracks 6 and 7. Then when 7 starts, it is the attempt to 'unzip' the Life again in another part of the galaxy. And musically, I think track 7 is as rythmical, hyphnotical, as the final of Ommadawn. Although not so aggressive, of course, but of similar great quality. A true MASTERPIECE MIKE!

And the first 2.5 minutes of Track 16 is again one of the finest moments in the history of music. Mike paints a picture of newly created civilisations attempting to communicate through the vast universe; his guitar sends messages out in the void, "WE ARE HERE! WE SURVIVED!! WE DID IT! ANYBODY OUT THERE?"

Play that part loud 1000 times !

MY GOD, how strong the best parts are. Let us focus on this and forget some less inspired parts. I LOVE MIKE for TSODE.

I remember how I actually didn't understand any of it when it came out in 94... I hated it for some time. Typical of Mike, breaking new ground, forcing us to reconsider. By 95 I was completely lost in TSODE, played it 1000 times. I consider the parts described here as the absolute highlight of Mikes entire output, together with some other moments on e.g., MOTS (I DIE everytime Shabda is introduced. best theme I heard IN MY LIFE). Actually I like all of MOTS, to me it is the most successful work seen all-in-all. But there are incredable material on most other releases of Mike.

Some parts are never discussed at all; how about the lonely guitar the first slow minutes on Track 4 of "Light" (2005)? How great is this!
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 03:22

Actually I think it is in place here to celibrate the brave crew on Apollo 8 for the probably most incredible but underestimated archievment in HISTORY!  Mike already did it by including material on TSODE from their amazing journey.

Do you know what they did? Not?!! oh, man what a crime. A must know thing. You have heard of C. Columbus? Yes? That's nothing in comparison to Apollo 8. Good old Chris C, or any other explorerer in the past you could think of, did horse-shit compared to the following:

Sit down and think about it: *** They *** left ***  Earth *** orbit *** for *** first *** time *** in *** history *** and *** went *** to *** the *** Moon. ***

(Dear Mike fan; what is your greatest archievment?).

Bill Anders, Frank Borman, Jim Lowell. HEROS FOR EVER. LOVE THEM!

We are not talking the usual space stuff here, don't mixed those things up. They saw the hidden side of the Moon for the first time. They were alone on the dark side. 10 times. They didn't know if they would make it back; prior to their mission, they were informed that their chances were not even 50/50. "Ok", they said, and went.

It is something completely different to ACTUALLY leave Earth orbit entirely.  Maybe this won't happen agan; I frankly believe that Man possibly never ever will make this journey again.

Now... If any of you idiots out there adds a reply about "fake", I WILL track you down and [UNPRINTABLE ***CENSUR***] you! Don't even think about it.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 10:21

I remember that day. I was living in Taiwan. It was a very cool moment to see, Apollo 8 orbiting the moon. Made it back to the USA in time to see Apollo 11 up close and personal with Walter Cronkite.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 10:25

By the way, enlighten me on "fake"? Fake what? Fake beer, tomatoes, what? Just curious.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 11:17

As I said, Jim, don't even think about it.

;)
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2009, 11:20

Quote (Scatterplot @ Oct. 22 2009, 10:21)
see Apollo 11 up close and personal with Walter Cronkite.

!!!! Wow !!!!

I don't know what to say ...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2009, 13:00

Quote (TheMann @ Oct. 22 2009, 03:22)
Actually I think it is in place here to celibrate the brave crew on Apollo 8...

Yep, Mike did his part and celebrated the Apollo 8 crew with his worst album ever. I think in hindsight it's a shame that Mike left Virgin. It seems that anything that kept him from being "himself" was a blessing in disguise. TSoDE is Mikes most artless album ever. Musically it's lazy and predictable and stylistically it's cheap as a prowling jaguar velvet poster. But then of course my opinion is ridiculous and absurd because TSoDE is a scientifically proven masterpiece.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 24 2009, 14:09

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 24 2009, 13:00)
Yep, Mike did his part and celebrated the Apollo 8 crew with his worst album ever.

Blasphemy! Tubular Bells III is even worse!

But then of course my opinion is ridiculous and absurd because TSoDE is a scientifically proven masterpiece.

Yeah, it's a shame that our opinion keeps hitting face first the wall of the mathematical rigour of fan subjectivism. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2009, 20:52

Hi all, have given TSDO another listen, not too bad at all. Mike is able to convey emotion and mood through his music, a talented musician to be sure. Cheers, Deb
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2009, 15:31

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 24 2009, 20:09)
Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 24 2009, 13:00)
But then of course my opinion is ridiculous and absurd because TSoDE is a scientifically proven masterpiece.

Yeah, it's a shame that our opinion keeps hitting face first the wall of the mathematical rigour of fan subjectivism. :)

I don't like all of the songs on TSoDE. Hibernaculum is a one I skip. But the rest, I'm sure I can scientifically prove their greatness. Just need to set up a laboratory.

Which do you think, Sir M, is the worst track on TSoDE?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2009, 19:04

Quote (Harmono @ Oct. 25 2009, 21:31)
I don't like all of the songs on TSoDE. Hibernaculum is a one I skip. But the rest, I'm sure I can scientifically prove their greatness. Just need to set up a laboratory.

Which do you think, Sir M, is the worst track on TSoDE?

Interesting about the favourite / worst tracks... I know the question wasn't aimed at me  :)  but TSoDE is the one album where I could never keep the tracks apart at all. That is, for the life of me I couldn't say which track is which (except for the very obvious ones, first track, last track, and Hibernaculum).
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2009, 19:16

Quote (Ray @ Oct. 06 2006, 00:07)
try reading the book while you listen to it - then it is in context.

Just ordered the book, 15 years after I first got the album. I wanted some sci-fi to read anyway, and now is as good an opportunity as any to finally get around to it, I guess. I really do wonder if it will make me change my perception of the album (though I somewhat doubt it...)
Profile PM 
144 replies since Oct. 05 2006, 17:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net