[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Just a piece of rubbish!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 25 2009, 21:54

Quote (Harmono @ Oct. 25 2009, 15:31)
Which do you think, Sir M, is the worst track on TSoDE?

Only Time Will Tell, by a country mile!! I know most people here will raise an eyebrow, since that is a big fan favourite, but that is the track that truly does it for me: an unimaginative, interminable four-chord drone over which Mike lays the one of the most annoying combination of vocal samples in the world. Come on, if that is the peak of Mike's "emotional" output, then Daft Punk are frigging Beethoven and Mahler raised back from the grave! And I say that considering I like Daft Punk, depending on my mood.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 08:06

It would have to be "A New Beginning", surely? Whenever I listen to the album I stop before that even starts. My favourite is "Lament for Atlantis", which is triff (if not brill) - sorry Ugo.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 08:08

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 25 2009, 21:54)
Only Time Will Tell, by a country mile!!

Yes, that one can be a bit annoying, particularly with the baby-like noises. On the other hand, sometimes it takes on a mantra-like quality, and I quite like it. Sometimes I love this record; sometimes it leaves me cold. Go figure, as our transatlantic cousins say!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 09:02

Have to agree with you about A New Beginning.In the context of the album as a whole i see why it's there but it is the point where i stop the cd almost everytime.Unless of course it's on as i drift off to sleep and then it always wakes me up.HUGELY annoying!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 11:40

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 24 2009, 13:00)
with his worst album ever.

TSoDE is Mikes most artless album ever

Eh... ?
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 11:41

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 25 2009, 21:54)
Only Time Will Tell, by a country mile!! I know most people here will raise an eyebrow,

????
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 11:44

To some degee, I agree with the critizism. I estimate that approximately 50% of the material makes me feel really unconfortable; much of it sounds pretty lame.

But I still prefer to pay all my attention to the other parts, which I think is probably the finest MO ever composed. Sorry I don't agree the slightest with e.g., "Let There Be Light" being "lazy". It is a perfect diamond.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 11:48

Really surprising, in light of myself being a hugh fan of Mike's guitar playing, is that I hate "GUITARS" most of all his releases.

I really really really hate all of that album. Every bit of it. Embarrising guitar playing, often out-of-beat, sounding really way too simple for an otherwise fantastic and creative player.

I never play anything of it, except the 3rd part of Four Winds, which is great.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 11:52

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 24 2009, 14:09)
Tubular Bells III is even worse!

Yes, I agree. 1996-2000 is no doubt the darkest in Mikes history. Really only producing rubbish. TB3 is ridicoluos, as is Guitars. Then following them up with the silly Millenium **BELLS** .. There you have it: a triology of shame.

But it is forgotten. MOTS proves what I knew all the time. MO is a genious.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 13:46

But don,t forget islands , earth moving and heavens open that really is a list of shame.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 13:58

[quote=Sir Mustapha,Oct. 26 2009, 02:54][/quote]
I know most people here will raise an eyebrow,

Hold me back girls,hold me back!..  ;)

Only Time Will Tell is probably my favourite part of the album,although initialy I was`nt too keen on it.I dare say I was probably brainwashed.My least favourite track is Tubular World which I nearly always skip.Although I must admit A New Beginning is kind of unnescessary.

TSoDE was the last Mike Oldfield album that I really loved when it came out.That said,some of his later albums did kind of grow on me somewhat.Stylisiticaly speaking it`s a bit cheesey yeah,but then this is Mike Oldfield were talking about and not Daft Punk.I did buy the first Daft Punk album when it was released then later sold it...I don`t miss it.

It`s funny how if we don`t like something partly because it`s simplistic maybe,then it quickly becomes "lazy" and "unimagiantive" .Alternatively if something is complicated and we don`t like it we quickly add the word "overtly" before it.Or we conclude that "they" were trying to be too clever maybe?I`ve done it myself hundreds of times,and I`ve no doubt I`ll do it again in the future.

Music:Response The Chemical Brothers.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 14:35

RE: The Mann and TB3.......TB3 has The Inner Child and Top Of The Morning.......those 2 by themselves make it a masterpiece.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 20:35

Quote (hergest fridge @ Oct. 26 2009, 13:46)
But don,t forget islands , earth moving and heavens open that really is a list of shame.

I'm beginning to this forum is one for people who hate Mike Oldfield!

As for Guitars, "Summit Day" is a true summit. The rest of the album is fun if I don't want to be subjected to intense emotional wrenching, which most of Mike's other music does. It's a great album to drive to, particularly on a long straight road out in the country.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2009, 20:39

Quote (Scatterplot @ Oct. 26 2009, 14:35)
RE: The Mann and TB3.......TB3 has The Inner Child and Top Of The Morning.......those 2 by themselves make it a masterpiece.
Jim

Well said, Scatter... I think even Sir M conceded "Top of the Morning" has something going for it. "Moonwatch" is another favourite, and "Outcast" truly creates a most demonic atmosphere! I agree, though, that some of the rest of the album doesn't scale the usual heights, although I certainly don't find the album unlistenable.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 03:49

Now then, now then - what's going on around here then.

How did the "hate" word get back in there?

.....about Mike Oldfield's music? :(

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 09:29

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 26 2009, 01:16)
Quote (Ray @ Oct. 06 2006, 00:07)
try reading the book while you listen to it - then it is in context.

Just ordered the book, 15 years after I first got the album. I wanted some sci-fi to read anyway, and now is as good an opportunity as any to finally get around to it, I guess. I really do wonder if it will make me change my perception of the album (though I somewhat doubt it...)

Well, most of the track names aren't directly related to the story, only 5 or 6 are, but it's a good sci-fi novel anyway.  :)
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 10:22

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 26 2009, 03:54)

Only Time Will Tell, by a country mile!!

I disagree about it being the worst* track but your analysis on the chord sequence makes for interesting reading.

*I guess least favourite, like Dirk put it, would be a better choice of words.  :)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 11:53

Quote (nightspore @ Oct. 26 2009, 20:39)
Well said, Scatter... I think even Sir M conceded "Top of the Morning" has something going for it.

Yep, it does. It's got an imaginative, well crafted melody, and Mike did not go forwards with an unnecessary, cumbersome "climax" to spoil the mood. Basically it's the contrary of The Inner Child, which I really, really, seriously can't bring myself to like even a little. Moonwatch is nice too, but the "climax" only makes things very grating: comes from out of nowhere, goes nowhere, and leaves a nasty impression.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 13:22

The melody of Top of the Morning is too close to Enola Gay in my mind. When I play it, I always end up morphing to Enola Gay, it's annoying.

I'm also a fan of Only Time Will tell.  It has all the elements to make it an uncool track and be very easy to criticize, yet I have to admit I'm a fan.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2009, 13:26

I'm going to go against all preconceptions and say that i really like TB3.Not as much as i like 'the holy trinity' but it's my favourite from that period.Beats the hell out of L&S abd Tres Lunas.That's just my opinion of course.Top Of The Morning and Serpent Dream are the best bits.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
144 replies since Oct. 05 2006, 17:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net